Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2012, 05:51 PM

2 posts, read 3,871 times

Advertisements

I Live in Birmingham currently, I am a wife and mother with small children. We are relocating to the Atlanta. Our jobs are going to be in the Duluth/ Johns Creek area. We are looking for some advice on towns with good school systems, amenities based communities, racially diverse like our family, relatively close to shopping etc. We like Cumming and Buford, as well as Suwanee. Can anyone give us some feedback on these areas what you like and don't like. As well as feedback about subdivision/builders you like. thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2012, 06:50 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,036,099 times
Is there any reason for not locating in John's Creek/Duluth area? They are both nice areas, and I always advise people moving here to live as near to work as possible.

Most Atlanta commutes are not fun. I definitely recommend you limit yours as much as possible.

Old 09-21-2012, 08:12 AM

2,118 posts, read 6,376,611 times
I think this will be the first time I have completely agreed with Joe Tarheel on anything in this forum.

It may look on a map like cumming and buford are close to that area, and frankly they're really not ALL THAT far, but it's a matter of having no limited access roads that lead into that area.

Buford to J/C is 45 minutes in NO traffic when you know exactly where you're going and taking the quickest route.
Cumming has 141 you can take but they put all this stuff on that road, lots of new red lights you'll end up having to stop at each one. That will be a long commute too and you want to avoid Forsyth County if you're looking for racially diverse. That county is not only not diverse, it has a pretty rough recent history when it comes to race. Buford is much better in that regard but the duluth area would be fine too.

Old 09-21-2012, 07:50 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,772,636 times
I'm not going to agree or disagree... except that I'm just going to add...

That depends...

We need to remember people searching houses are looking at zip codes and not town centers and johns Creek/Duluth is a little vague to where work is located.

The OP needs to look where they are going to specifically and then map their house hunt.

Much of lower Forsyth Co. is a Cumming address, but is right across the street from some Johns Creek business offices located at Medlock and McGinniss Ferry.

The short answer to the OP... That whole region is a new up and coming suburban business area full of white collar workers and is generally more middle class affluent than most places.

Any of these places will be good places, good schools. If you can find the house at the right price close to work... there is no reason to drive further away than you need to.

If you look in the Duluth zip codes... do research on the elementary school. Things get a touch more hit or miss in parts. Not because Duluth isn't really nice, it is, but near the old Gwinnett Place Mall area there are tons of apartments and townhomes. You might want to avoid schools zoned to those areas.

Any School cluster in North Fulton Co and S. Forsyth will be great. Most in Gwinnett Co. will be be great too. (If you were looking more towards Lawrenceville or closer to Atlanta parts of Gwinnett you might need to use more caution and get specific opinion...but your not/dont need to.) The Peachtree Ridge Cluster is excellent. The Duluth Cluster has the Mall area in it. It is a good school, but choose the area/elementary school carefully. (search past threads on this part of Gwinnett and we have Discussed it in great detail in the past).

The only thing I might consider... is if you think you might stay in the area but switch jobs... consider your commute routes to other parts of the region...

Old 09-21-2012, 07:51 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,772,636 times
Oh and do this thread in the Atlanta forum and mention Jogns Creek Duluth in the title! You will get much more feedback! It is a very active forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia