Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 10:09 AM

4,486 posts, read 5,222,529 times

Advertisements

My sister and her husband just bought a farm in Blackshear and want my DH and I to move down there after he retires.

We live in Colorado but i'm a Jacksonville girl and would love to move back to the south. Farm life works for me as I run our farm here. I'm just looking for more info on the area.

The good, the bad and everything in between please!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2012, 10:30 AM

40 posts, read 67,513 times
Default No

I graduated from Ware county in 2001. If things have not changed you will be dealing with a **** load of drunk high school kids. We got into all kinds of trouble...all the time. My friends would load up in the truck with a cooler and drive dirt roads... all day. Then hit the river and party it up. It was fun then, but now that I have two little girls I wouldn't move there to save my life.

Old 01-20-2012, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarly View Post
I graduated from Ware county in 2001. If things have not changed you will be dealing with a **** load of drunk high school kids. We got into all kinds of trouble...all the time. My friends would load up in the truck with a cooler and drive dirt roads... all day. Then hit the river and party it up. It was fun then, but now that I have two little girls I wouldn't move there to save my life.
Thanks for the info.

We wouldn't be moving until our youngest graduates high school and goes to boot camp. I can handle teenagers after having 5 of my own. Being a mother, it takes a hell of a lot to scare me.

Old 01-20-2012, 05:22 PM

236 posts, read 698,370 times
Small town America. Certainly far cheaper than where you are now. Decent medical care and not far from Jacksonville as you know. If you're craving small town southern living it would be a nice fit.

BTW I am also from Ware County. Won't deny Swarly's comments, but it's like that everywhere...not just Pierce County.

Old 01-20-2012, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gapowermike View Post
Small town America. Certainly far cheaper than where you are now. Decent medical care and not far from Jacksonville as you know. If you're craving small town southern living it would be a nice fit.

BTW I am also from Ware County. Won't deny Swarly's comments, but it's like that everywhere...not just Pierce County.
Thanks.

We can handle small town life, no problem! We don't live in town here anyway.

It's starting to sound better all the time.

Old 01-21-2012, 07:08 AM

767 posts, read 2,290,822 times
This spring, if you will go and visit, find an unpaved road and take off your shoes and walk on the sandy road. There ain't anything better.

Old 01-21-2012, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccarley View Post
This spring, if you will go and visit, find an unpaved road and take off your shoes and walk on the sandy road. There ain't anything better.
So very true!

We live in a rural area, off of a two lane dirt road, creek running thru the yard and I love the freedom of country life. Working the land, growing crops, just being out in nature. I just think it would be much better back home in the south.

Thanks!

Old 01-21-2012, 11:01 AM

How about a little farming info?

It's different here, high altitude, short growing season and little rain.

What type of crops grow best in that area? Length of growing season, average rainfall ect............

Is there a good feed and seed store in the area? I don't farm for profit, just family but I always donate part of our harvest to a local soup kitchen or food bank. Is that available?

Old 01-21-2012, 11:16 AM

767 posts, read 2,290,822 times
The soil is sandy and typically acid. Blueberries are a big crop in that area. All of the usual vegetables grow good there. You will have a long season. Tomatoes in the ground around Mar 1-15.
There will be a feed and seed store there for sure. When I lived in that area (Baxley) I always grew tomatoes ,peanuts, potatoes, corn, peas, butterbeans. Muscadine grapes grow great there and are delicious. I think you will find the friendlist people in the world in South Georgia.

Old 01-21-2012, 11:44 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,413,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelaBeurman View Post
I just think it would be much better back home in the south.

Thanks!
And what does your DH think? My wife wanted nothing more than to be "back in the south" near her family. I'm from Wyoming. I'm sure there are worse places on this planet to live, but I don't know where they might be or how they could be worse (for me, I know you southerners can get your underwear in a bunch when someone says the land here is too flat and boring, or that the temperatures are too hot, humidity too high and there's no real season changes ~ this is Hell on Earth for me). Point being, what you think might be much better, your DH might think is much worse.

I want nothing more than to be back in the Rockies. I'm miserable, my wife is miserable, everything is miserable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia