Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 07:16 PM

1 posts, read 11,412 times

Advertisements

My wife and I move to Lake Arrowhead (outside Canton) in June, 2006. We love it here. Contrary to one post, there are several shopping centers and restaurants along Riverstone Parkway, including a 15 stage movie theater. There is a live theatre in downtown Canton. We previously lived in Marietta, GA, and while that was a great place to live, it is even more enjoyable here and less expensive.

Travel time to Atlanta is reasonable, but more conducive to going occassionally or for those that telecommute 2 to 3 days a week.

There is a lot to do here for almost anyone. So many suburbanites have moved here that there are the city-oriented things to do, and for us folks who are more small town/country oriented, there are plenty of things to do there, too.

There is no place better to live around Canton than Lake Arrowhead, but there are lots of great subdivisions in and around Canton, with houses and townhomes/condos.

I would highly recommend living somewhere around or in Canton for those interested. My wife and I have lived in cities and small towns, so we are no strangers to either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2007, 02:50 PM

7 posts, read 35,702 times
Im happy some of you found happiness in Canton , we just felt that Bridgemill was sort of like the Stepford wives, all the houses look alike, the lots are strange, they removed alot of the old woods, and the town has not built up enough to keep up with the home developments. The city of Atlanta was very disappointing to us, the aquarium was nice, but since it is one of thew few major things to do there, it was so packed, more so then in NYC. THe traffic was just unbearable for us, it was not relaxing there at all... It just did not seem like beautiful countryside to us... we would so miss the gorgeous tropical scenery, water life, ocean sunsets & sunrises we have here on the beach, the boating, and the incredible performing arts we have... of course we go home 3 times per year to NYC as well.... IT is not that we wished to live in a city, but Canton lacks tooo much, and closes down tooo early. Some of the lots in Bridgemill were so steep we found it to be dangerous. These builders of course put in a pool, golf , restaurant as there is NOTHING much more in the town to do.... The roads are not adequate and we wouldnt want our children driving on them, and the interstate is incredibly busy, even the City of Atlanta closes on Sundays!!! And where were the beautiful horse farms??? Now woodstock was a little better, but still i guess we are spoiled, we have countryside upstate NY and in NOrth Florida to visit, and we live in a gorgeous town in Coral Springs with a mall within 5 minutes and tons of art center, stores, museams, festivals, las olas, all within MINUTES , and we have gorgeous equestrian areas in s.w. ranches and davie.....
Canton seems to have been planned wrong when the developers built their homes, they cleared out many of the once beautiful woods, NOW Kennesaw was nicer then any town up there!!! We are active, cultured, and boaters.... the kids and teens i met were bored and had nothing to do, nowhere to go and it was only 7 pm.... the women i met said they bake and bring desserts over each other s homes alot on weekends... and the women i met all work so many hours, what type of better life is it? and the ones that work within 15 miles, takes them well ove r 1 1/2 hours tog et there/// we dont have that kind of stress here, woodstock was not much better..... I am happy for anyone who found happiness wherever they moved to!! But i would advise people to fully check it out before moving.... it seems like so much is missing there, all my kids extremely disliked it, and felt it was depressing... even my 21 year old, 18 year old, and two 10 years old!!! they couldnt wait to get home!!! We did see the aquarium / museam/ and went into the city. what type of city closes on Sundays??? what type of town closes at like 6 pm??? and Who would want to be on the interstates so often??? when we were on it, even during the day it was bumper to bumper.. and so stressful... WE tried, we sure did, as our dearest friends are moving there, but they at least have family there.!!!

Blessings to all of you, and hope that builder straightens out his mess, we did mention it while we were up there!!!!!

good luck to all!!!!

Old 03-10-2007, 11:03 AM

12 posts, read 65,999 times
I have friends in Canton. I was just up there to visit in September. I love the area, altho it is developing quickly, and you need a GPS to find your way around! Those roads are SO confusing....up, down, around, switchback over...definitely a challenge following directions.

The only real "complaint" I had was that I couldn't find a bookstore - no Barnes & Noble, Borders, or even a local bookseller! What do ya'll do when there's nothing on tv and it's raining out?

Old 03-11-2007, 08:34 PM

525 posts, read 1,851,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debb View Post
Im happy some of you found happiness in Canton , we just felt that Bridgemill was sort of like the Stepford wives, all the houses look alike, the lots are strange, they removed alot of the old woods, and the town has not built up enough to keep up with the home developments. The city of Atlanta was very disappointing to us, the aquarium was nice, but since it is one of thew few major things to do there, it was so packed, more so then in NYC. THe traffic was just unbearable for us, it was not relaxing there at all... It just did not seem like beautiful countryside to us... we would so miss the gorgeous tropical scenery, water life, ocean sunsets & sunrises we have here on the beach, the boating, and the incredible performing arts we have... of course we go home 3 times per year to NYC as well.... IT is not that we wished to live in a city, but Canton lacks tooo much, and closes down tooo early. Some of the lots in Bridgemill were so steep we found it to be dangerous. These builders of course put in a pool, golf , restaurant as there is NOTHING much more in the town to do.... The roads are not adequate and we wouldnt want our children driving on them, and the interstate is incredibly busy, even the City of Atlanta closes on Sundays!!! And where were the beautiful horse farms??? Now woodstock was a little better, but still i guess we are spoiled, we have countryside upstate NY and in NOrth Florida to visit, and we live in a gorgeous town in Coral Springs with a mall within 5 minutes and tons of art center, stores, museams, festivals, las olas, all within MINUTES , and we have gorgeous equestrian areas in s.w. ranches and davie.....
Canton seems to have been planned wrong when the developers built their homes, they cleared out many of the once beautiful woods, NOW Kennesaw was nicer then any town up there!!! We are active, cultured, and boaters.... the kids and teens i met were bored and had nothing to do, nowhere to go and it was only 7 pm.... the women i met said they bake and bring desserts over each other s homes alot on weekends... and the women i met all work so many hours, what type of better life is it? and the ones that work within 15 miles, takes them well ove r 1 1/2 hours tog et there/// we dont have that kind of stress here, woodstock was not much better..... I am happy for anyone who found happiness wherever they moved to!! But i would advise people to fully check it out before moving.... it seems like so much is missing there, all my kids extremely disliked it, and felt it was depressing... even my 21 year old, 18 year old, and two 10 years old!!! they couldnt wait to get home!!! We did see the aquarium / museam/ and went into the city. what type of city closes on Sundays??? what type of town closes at like 6 pm??? and Who would want to be on the interstates so often??? when we were on it, even during the day it was bumper to bumper.. and so stressful... WE tried, we sure did, as our dearest friends are moving there, but they at least have family there.!!!

Blessings to all of you, and hope that builder straightens out his mess, we did mention it while we were up there!!!!!

good luck to all!!!!
I guess everyone marches to a different drum!! I lived in Plantation about 15-20 minutes from Coral Springs and we HATED IT. We moved to Woodstock and love it! I love the peace, trees, greenery, the mountains, etc., yet close to everything we need. I think it is a great place for kids and we are never bored!

Good Luck in your search!

Old 05-28-2007, 10:04 AM

17 posts, read 73,196 times
Default McCar builders Magnolia springs - Harrisburg NC

To: rmcrae

I have lived in the Magnolia Springs sub for 1 1/2 years. We have had numerous problems with the house. I know there will always be problems and a certain amount are expected. But, it's 1 1/2 years later and we still have issues unresolved.

1) one year and a few weeks, my garage door fell off the tracks. Rob sent someone to put it back on but could not give us a reason this happend. The bottom was damaged and nothing was done about it. It still sounds like it's about to fall off the tracks every time it's used.

2) We were told that all the bedrooms had ceiling fan brackets. After a year Rob said they would put them in the rooms that they were missing. We finally gave up and I did it with brackets I had to buy and install.

3) The lot was never graded right and after sever times of "repairing it" it still is not right and the last repair was last May and all of the sod died after getting a $200.00 water bill trying to keep it alive in the heat. The absolute worst time of year to put sod in.

4) Now I am dealing with Whirlpool because the $1300.00 refrigerator ice maker does not work. I realize the warranty was for one lear but it should not break after 16 months. The Whirlpool microwave broke after 9 months and was under warranty thank heaven. I have four Whirlpool appliances. That's a 50% failure rate in my mind !!!!! The cost will be $250.00 !!

Thank heaven I did not take the Whirlpool washer & dryer. I have to wonder what kind of contract do you have with Whirlpool ?? Do you get the seconds?

There were so many problems initially I just don't have time to list them here. We went so far to call the County inspectors and demand to know who inspected my house because the sewer water backed up into the toilet and no one from Mccar would help. Of corse when the County hears about waste water backing up into potable water they were here at 9am the next morning wit McCar people and the foundation had to be ripped up to fix the "problem".

To all: Beware of this builder. Problems abound. Workmanship is horrible. This is a builders market with cheap labor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmccrae View Post
Good afternoon, allow me to introduce myself, My name is Rob McCrae and I am the Vice President of Construction for McCar Homes. As I read these postings and those similar. I can not express the disappointment it brings to me. I am ultimately responsible for your complete satifaction. I want to apologize for any of the frustrations, fear, or overall corcerns you have encountered in your McCar Home. That certainly is not our intent and we have to continue to get better. Your Homebuilding experiance should be one of confidence, pride, and security. Confidence that you made the right choice in choosing McCar, Pride in the workmanship and materials used to create your McCar home. and security that whatever issues that may arise in regards to your McCar home, McCar will be there to help you. It is important to me and all that work at McCar, that every one of McCar's customers "feels" that way. By the tone of these postings we have a long way to go. I emplore each of you, if you have not reached the level of satifaction that I and each employee at McCar want for you, to email me directly. rmccrae@mccarhomes.com. I will personally get you some help.
Your homebuying and homeownership with McCar should be an experiance second to none.
I look forward to helping you
Rob

Old 05-28-2007, 06:19 PM

4 posts, read 144,080 times
HI
I live in Coral Spring FL I would like info on canton and ballground ga.

Thank You meatball

Old 05-28-2007, 08:20 PM

24 posts, read 25,264 times
I've lived in the Canton area for 20 years, and I'm moving back to Michigan. There is much that is good about such a desirable place to live, but also much that is bad. The sprawl in Atlanta is out of control. The Canton/Woodstock area is a posterchild for sprawl. I-575, which is the interstate that goes up to the area from Atlanta, is a devils nightmare. It is 2 lanes each direction and needs to be at least 4 - but even then it probably couldn't handle the legions of vehicles that descend on it each rush hour. If you are going to live in Canton DO NOT work anywhere near Atlanta unless you have an off hours shift, or I promise you'll have patches of hair missing after you pull them out sitting in traffic looking at a sea of red tail lights between 2 and 4 hours a day. I guess a lot of people must not mind sitting in their cars so much, because they just keep coming, but I've had enough. Schools are overcrowded and the huge illegal immigration problem in Georgia taxes an unbelievable amount of it's resources. Canton and Woodstock have been overrun buy illegals. The section of Woodstock down at Hwy. 92 and Bells Ferry that was the main drag when we first moved here has transformed into a Latino village, with businesses boarded up and all the billboards in spanish. Also, due to all the cars on the road and a very poor public transportation setup, the air quality in metro Atlanta is often very bad.

The area obviously still has a lot to offer, because people keep coming by the truckload every day, but even though I contributed to the sprawl by coming here 20 years ago I have decided in favor of a quiet little town on Lake Michigan over this massive glut. It's starting to resemble L.A. in a lot of ways, and IMO that is not a good thing.

Old 05-29-2007, 08:53 AM

100 posts, read 429,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debb View Post
Well, I just came back home to Coral Springs Florida, from Canton Georgia. My husband and kids and I fully checked out the area of Canton, Woodstock and all surrounding areas to see if we would even like to live in Canton. WE both found that we could never give up all that we have in Florida to move there, it seems to be a very depressed area, afew nice home developments, but the roads are not adequate, the traffic is horrible!! If you live in River Green to get out in the morning and cross rd. 20 i believe it is called, the main road to get out, you have to sit for like 45 minutes... so what is country if the traffic is so bad?? We also found that for the children you must drive many exits off the interstate to go anywhere, even for adult nights out... We did not find the countryside to be very nice, except for the town of Kenneshaw, that was very pretty and very country like,but in Canton, there is nothing, just woods and some home developments, nothing more then that. Being a country boy himself, and growing up on 250 acres of land in Mass, my husband feels that the lack of things to do for the kids is not a good thing in the Canton area, could lead to boredom and we know what comes along with that!! The women i met wanted to move there to raise their children but they all seem to work like 50 hours a week, and to get to work for a 15 mile drive it takes them 1 1/2 hours to get there!!! Canton does not have any performing arts theaters of any great shakes, we couldnt find a local movie theater, and there is no mall, or any shopping to speak of, it seems the town is building homes but nothing more, and the homes that are nice are at least in the 400,000.'s... you may save on property tax and homeowners insurance but they have a state income tax and salaries are less. Some of the developments such as Bridgemill, all the homes look alike...
For the boys, the sports fields are hard to find, we found ONE! here we have sports for the kids year round!!! Well its something to think about!! Go and See it !!!
Wow. Wish I had seen this sooner. There is just plain ol' misinformation in this post. I live in River Green and not once in the 2.5 years I have lived there did I ever wait through more than one traffic light to get out of the development. And not once did I wait behind more than 3-4 cars for that light. And I leave during rush hour Monday through Friday.

And the other misinformation about the shopping, movie theater, and performing arts were already addressed by another poster.

Canton is obviously not for everyone, but for those who value a slow-paced, family-oriented semi-rural way of life, Canton is a wonderful choice.

Last edited by jennydowd; 05-29-2007 at 09:26 AM..

Old 05-29-2007, 05:57 PM

3 posts, read 17,912 times
Default Commute from Canton to Roswell

We are relocating to the Atlanta area. I will be working in Roswell at the intersection of GA400 and 140. We are considering living in Canton near the Riverstone Parkway. Does nay one know what my commute time will be if I take 140 all the way to Roswell. I will be leaving home @ 6:00am and leaving the office @3:30pm.

Old 05-30-2007, 06:48 AM

100 posts, read 429,399 times
STL man - My husband makes close to that same commute and he leaves the house at 6:15am. It takes him about 45 minutes to get to work, and that's going from River Green (10 min west of Riverstone Parkway) down 140 to Windward Parkway in Alpharetta.

Since you are going off-hours, you should be able to make that commute in the same time or less. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia