Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 10:38 AM

3 posts, read 18,390 times

Advertisements

We lived in Canton for 9 years, leaving in August of 2005. I relocated to East Tn and we built our long planned dream home in the Smoky Mountains outside of Maryville. For over a year we have been so bored it nearly drove us insane. I can only hike so many trails, catch so many trout and listen to #$%^ UT fans yapping about a school they never attended.

So it's back to Canton next Tuesday! Bought in Great Sky after looking around. I like their trees. Also liked Copper Hills. Not a fan of Bridgemille or Rivergreen because of the clear cutting. Plus we like the new reservoir.As for friends and friendly people, well I'm 50 and made more friends in Canton in 8 years than anywhere else I have ever lived. All remain friends. When we moved to Canton it really was a cow town and the commute was easy. Owls and nighthawks, deer, fox, you name it. Now it is much more built up and I hear the commute is rough (I work from home) but for us Canton is home and I'm glad to be going back. When I close on my house here I will drop to my knees and thank God for the chance to go home!

I never gave up my season tic's to the Falcons and will see more than one Brave's game. I can catch my trout in the "Hooch and float it on weekends. I
'll eat steamed crab in the summer and crawfish from March to July 4. I'll catch the crappie spawn in the spring and harvest a turkey in April.

Fall will see us in Pickens County for the apple harvest, as well as trips to Savannah fall & winter (try the Crab Shack on Chimney Creek, Tybee Island. For the six weeks of winter I'll lay up and get fat watching Maryland/Georgia/Ole Miss football and basketball, with a trip or two to New Orleans thrown in.

And I won;t forget to put up my hummingbird feeders on March 15th. The scouts come about then with the "herd" coming on time every March 30th. I wonder how the Leap Year will affect that? For those who have never seen a serious population of Hummer's, well I have had over 50 at my two feeders at once. Quite the spectacle. Oh well, droning on...

Life is getting MUCH better on January 22nd!

So if you ask me, yeah, I guess it is a great place to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2008, 11:15 AM

1 posts, read 14,059 times
Default Moving to Canton

I am planning on moving to Canton from Miami. Speak about latinos, and I am latin, but born and raised in New York where we never spoke Spanish. Here in Miami, you feel like you are in another country. Everything here is geared towards the Spanish speaking people rather than English speaking. If you dont know the language, you are basically screwed. The company I work for wanted to send one of the guys that work for us to a class at one of the city colleges here and they dont offer the class in English, do you believe that! it's a basic computer learning class. As far as the traffic here, it's ridiculous. we are being flooded by immigrants from south america. it's easy for them to live here since they dont have to learn the english language to get around. P.S., I'm very good at English grammar, however, I'm too lazy to abbreviate where needed. It takes a good hour to 90 minutes each way on any freeway here. and as far as the property taxes!!! mine are 12k on 1/4 acre! I definately think it's a big improvement in Canton. I am looking to move to horse country. I hope your happier with your new living arrangements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Aaron View Post
I've lived in the Canton area for 20 years, and I'm moving back to Michigan. There is much that is good about such a desirable place to live, but also much that is bad. The sprawl in Atlanta is out of control. The Canton/Woodstock area is a posterchild for sprawl. I-575, which is the interstate that goes up to the area from Atlanta, is a devils nightmare. It is 2 lanes each direction and needs to be at least 4 - but even then it probably couldn't handle the legions of vehicles that descend on it each rush hour. If you are going to live in Canton DO NOT work anywhere near Atlanta unless you have an off hours shift, or I promise you'll have patches of hair missing after you pull them out sitting in traffic looking at a sea of red tail lights between 2 and 4 hours a day. I guess a lot of people must not mind sitting in their cars so much, because they just keep coming, but I've had enough. Schools are overcrowded and the huge illegal immigration problem in Georgia taxes an unbelievable amount of it's resources. Canton and Woodstock have been overrun buy illegals. The section of Woodstock down at Hwy. 92 and Bells Ferry that was the main drag when we first moved here has transformed into a Latino village, with businesses boarded up and all the billboards in spanish. Also, due to all the cars on the road and a very poor public transportation setup, the air quality in metro Atlanta is often very bad.

The area obviously still has a lot to offer, because people keep coming by the truckload every day, but even though I contributed to the sprawl by coming here 20 years ago I have decided in favor of a quiet little town on Lake Michigan over this massive glut. It's starting to resemble L.A. in a lot of ways, and IMO that is not a good thing.

Old 01-30-2008, 12:39 PM

100 posts, read 429,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smp4180 View Post
If you are looking for diversity than Canton is not your place. Moved here from NYC. Subdivisions are nice, but that's about all. People are very clickish and traffic to the city is awful. With all the nice homes the area is still very rural. Marietta Highway needs a face lift and more shopping. There is no adult kive here and no real indivual restaturants to have dinner or even a coctail with your spouse or significant other. No real shopping other than your normal K and Wal marts Target, etc. No flaghip shopping up here Schools are good, but North fulton has good schools also and is much more developed than Canton. Alpharetta is nice and a little bit more developed. We just put a contract on a house there, We are leaving Bridgemill. The subdivision does not match the town
I'm sorry, I live in Canton and I agree with most everything you said (albeit some would prefer the more rural aspects) except for one thing. You said 'people are very clickish'. From what I have experienced, that is not a truism of Canton, but rather of Bridgemill specifically. That's what I hear from former Bridgemill residents who now live in my subdivision anyway. From my own firsthand knowledge, I know that it is not clickish where I live, and I am in a similar-type community.

I just wanted to clear that up so that others who stumble upon this are not turned off to Canton.

Old 02-22-2008, 06:12 AM

894 posts, read 4,348,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debb View Post
Yes hi! We thoroughly checked out the area too... we were suppose to move to Canton, our good friends did, but for business reasons, we stayed in florida, and now for business they have to move back to Florida!!!

We checked out all those developments, and found BRIDGEMILL to be the best, and the houses are made really very very well!!! Our friends, thought they would be there for ever, so they bought a real nice , just a lovely home... with a full finished basement!! Nice yard, great lot, towards the end of street near the culdesace!! Tons of young kids, and expecting parents!! The people are SOOOO NICE, they are not clickish, everyone is so friendly and have block parties where everyone is included.. They all watch each others kids and have morning coffee together, we just love to visit, it is a great community, and we know that the other builders houses that were mentioned on here, are having LOTS of problems in those houses!!!

We found and they now know that the schools right there in Canton near Bridgemill are the best!!! Some areas have bussing out, so be careful.

If you would like more info on my friends house, write to me and let me know I can get more info for you!! I think they will be leaving it partially furnihsed as well, take care and let me know!!

Best Regards
Debbie DFCOLORS@AOL.COM

Not to stir up trouble, but didnt you have this to say about Canton last year? And something about Bridgemill being like The Steford Wifes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debb View Post
Well, I just came back home to Coral Springs Florida, from Canton Georgia. My husband and kids and I fully checked out the area of Canton, Woodstock and all surrounding areas to see if we would even like to live in Canton. WE both found that we could never give up all that we have in Florida to move there, it seems to be a very depressed area, afew nice home developments, but the roads are not adequate, the traffic is horrible!! If you live in River Green to get out in the morning and cross rd. 20 i believe it is called, the main road to get out, you have to sit for like 45 minutes... so what is country if the traffic is so bad?? We also found that for the children you must drive many exits off the interstate to go anywhere, even for adult nights out... We did not find the countryside to be very nice, except for the town of Kenneshaw, that was very pretty and very country like,but in Canton, there is nothing, just woods and some home developments, nothing more then that. Being a country boy himself, and growing up on 250 acres of land in Mass, my husband feels that the lack of things to do for the kids is not a good thing in the Canton area, could lead to boredom and we know what comes along with that!! The women i met wanted to move there to raise their children but they all seem to work like 50 hours a week, and to get to work for a 15 mile drive it takes them 1 1/2 hours to get there!!! Canton does not have any performing arts theaters of any great shakes, we couldnt find a local movie theater, and there is no mall, or any shopping to speak of, it seems the town is building homes but nothing more, and the homes that are nice are at least in the 400,000.'s... you may save on property tax and homeowners insurance but they have a state income tax and salaries are less. Some of the developments such as Bridgemill, all the homes look alike...
For the boys, the sports fields are hard to find, we found ONE! here we have sports for the kids year round!!! Well its something to think about!! Go and See it !!!

Old 02-26-2008, 07:21 PM

1 posts, read 13,938 times
Default home for sale in Waleska, ga

Hi! We Have Lived Near Canton Our Whole Lives And We Love It Out Here In The Country! We Are 20 Miles From It All! Canton, Jasper, Cartersville, And Calhoun! We Have 3 Acres And A 2 Story Home With Attatched 2 Car Garage. In Waleska, (Or Beautiful Salacoa Valley!) It Has A Full Basement, 4bdrm, 2 1/2 Bath, Master On Main, Hardwood Floors! If You Know Any One Interested Please Let Me Know! We Are Asking 349,000.00 But Will Consider All Offers!!!! ALSO IT HAS A WRAP AROUND FRONT PORCH WITH BEAUTIFUL VIEWS!

Old 10-21-2008, 12:03 PM

1 posts, read 12,980 times
Smile in my opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by smp4180 View Post
If you are looking for diversity than Canton is not your place. Moved here from NYC. Subdivisions are nice, but that's about all. People are very clickish and traffic to the city is awful. With all the nice homes the area is still very rural. Marietta Highway needs a face lift and more shopping. There is no adult kive here and no real indivual restaturants to have dinner or even a coctail with your spouse or significant other. No real shopping other than your normal K and Wal marts Target, etc. No flaghip shopping up here Schools are good, but North fulton has good schools also and is much more developed than Canton. Alpharetta is nice and a little bit more developed. We just put a contract on a house there, We are leaving Bridgemill. The subdivision does not match the town
I moved up here from South Beach. Lived for a year in Bridgemill with my daughter until we got situated. Moved to Governers walk, small community but great. Being originally from NYC then living in South Beach I do have to agree with info previously given to you. If you like nature and quiet and change of seasons its great. There is just no comparison one with the other. We are still adjusting, I have 2 chldren (8 & 16) they love it here. The schools are great. Much better than NYC and Florida. In florida my children were in private school. Here they attend public school. The job situation here stinks. But like I said before if we star comparing you will be comparing apples to oranges. Its all about what your family needs are. On exit 19 there is going to be a huge shopping center which we are exited and in 5 years a new Hospital. also on exit 11 the avenues a high end retail store are opening soon. you can call the chamber of commerce in cherokee county at 770-345-0400 or go on their web site at [URL="http://www.cherokee-chamber.com"]www.cherokee-chamber.com[/URL] and find out for yourself and they might answer any further questions you might have. What I like here is that is not as overcrowed as broward or miami beach. you have space. I suggest you look look look first. If you need to rent first do so until you find what you really like to meet your families needs. hope this was helpful.

Old 02-23-2009, 01:32 PM

164 posts, read 652,512 times
I been sitting here in fl and I want to move to Canton or Cummings but scared .Oh I love Great Sky omg it's so pretty but I lived in Philadelphia the city and now Fl Orlando . But I am gonna come back up in April and just buy something I just have to go through the fear .It's just a little out for me but I'm gonna do it anyway. .I just love the area sooooooooooooooooooooo much. scary cat lol

Old 02-25-2009, 06:55 AM

247 posts, read 1,289,870 times
Minniememe-we moved to Canton from West Palm Beach and have never regretted the decision. It's so much better for so many reasons. You can do it!

Old 02-28-2009, 09:35 AM

164 posts, read 652,512 times
tks greywolf

Old 05-08-2009, 12:42 PM

1 posts, read 12,120 times
If you really want to experience Canton DO NOT buy in a big subdivision like Bridgemill OR Great Sky...buy a property in the north end of the county and then build...you will have much more peace and quiet...I personally hate subdivisions...and the snobbery that goes along with SO many of the big neighborhoods. I may not have a swim/tennis community but I do have 2 acres of lush green trees and grass...and the neighbors are 3-5 acres away...we have privacy and peace! On second thought stay away...we don't want anyone coming here that doesn't like our county and community...too much change that way and quite frankly I like things just the way they are!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia