Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 09:21 PM

18 posts, read 127,605 times

Advertisements

Hi. My husband and I are relocating to GA from Miami, FL. We are looking at a home in Canton, GA. Any info you share would be great! We are planning to start a family so schools are important. Also, crime and diversity. The builder is McCar homes. I have been on every website I can find doing research. But, somtimes locals know best. Thanks so much!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2006, 06:19 AM

894 posts, read 4,349,918 times
We are from Cooper City and went to Canton/Woodstock in July. Very nice area...Are you looking at the Bridgemill development in Canton? I know that Jennydowd here on the forums is living in Canton and loves it, maybe PM her.

Old 09-13-2006, 06:29 PM

thanks ready2move. As soon as I figure out how, I will. We are looking at the Forest Creek development. It has a walking trail and has that woodsy look with being in the middle of nowhere.

Old 09-13-2006, 09:56 PM

Thanks for the info.

Old 09-26-2006, 05:15 PM

3 posts, read 20,916 times
We've lived in Woodstock & Canton for 15 years and love it here. It's convenient for work & entertainment, but far enough away to feel peaceful when we're at home (we are in Hickory Flat). The schools here are quite good, comparatively - Sequoyah High School district.

Old 10-26-2006, 09:04 AM

93 posts, read 393,571 times
Well, I live in Forest Creek! Can't say enough good about the neighborhood! We moved here from Phoenix, Az and in the year we've been here we've met and made lots of new friends. However, if it's honesty you're looking for, let me forwarn you about McCar Homes. The homes are 'nice', but, the quality is questionable. You don't realize this until after you live in the home. The builder does 'fix' the issues, but we question why so many problems plaugue these newer homes. So, if you have not already signed the contract, I am warning you now to be prepared and stand firm. This builder hopes for the buyers that don't find the problems versus the ones who do. The neighborhood is great, though! We're having our first chili cookoff this weekend and Fall Festival! If you're already here--WELCOME! And, we look forward to meeting you!!

Old 10-26-2006, 11:23 AM

dsolnmsol...Thanks for all the insite!
We did already sign the contract with McCar. I am a little disappointed to hear that they may not be as great a builder as we had expected. However, we have a new home here in Miami and experienced some problems with our builder also. What kind of issues did you have with your house? Anything major? I guess homes are not being built like they once were.
We completely fell in love with Forest Creek when we were there!! My husband and I can't wait till our move. It's still some months away. Hopefully by March though. I'm so glad to know the neighborhood is friendly. It's so hard to judge an area with only a few visits. It's going to be hard leaving all of our family and friends behind. So a nice friendly neighborhood may help a little with the homesick aspect.
I had read about the festival, I guess I have a year to work on my chilli!! LOL
I look forward to meeting you neighbor!!
G

Old 10-26-2006, 12:47 PM

894 posts, read 4,349,918 times
GP

I understand about moving so far away...We came back from GA, in July, loved it and decieded to put our house on the market. We couldn't believe that we got an offer after 28 days. It's still working through some stuff, so until the day of closing, I won't believe it. But we are going up in November and decieded to rent for several months to get a feel for the areas. I would definately hire some kind of inspector to follow the steps of your house building..as I have heard some of the builders up there are questionable. Same as here in Miami...

Good Luck!

Old 10-26-2006, 08:01 PM

9 posts, read 39,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPfromMIA View Post
Hi. My husband and I are relocating to GA from Miami, FL. We are looking at a home in Canton, GA. Any info you share would be great! We are planning to start a family so schools are important. Also, crime and diversity. The builder is McCar homes. I have been on every website I can find doing research. But, somtimes locals know best. Thanks so much!!
Hi, I've lived near Canton for 15 years now. There is a large Latino population there, more than 25% from the estimate I read in our local paper. Beautiful area, near the mountains. The schools in Cherokee are okay but not the best for sure. I've had 3 kids in them and the resources are limited.

I personally would recommend Kennesaw in Cobb County, GA, just slightly south. More traffic but much better schools, shopping, community resources, etc. Good luck!

Old 10-27-2006, 11:33 PM

164 posts, read 523,342 times
Hi
I'm also from Miami and looking at Canton Ga. We've had our house on the market for 2 months now but recently reduced the price. Hopefully we'll be able to relocate soon. Does anyone know the community Silver Creek? Any input would be great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia