U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 04:37 PM

7,862 posts, read 15,324,373 times

Advertisements

I'll say it one more time. Obama has a ZERO chance of carrying GA in the electoral college. If he lost the state in 2008 by several points, he has no chance in hell of winning it this November. None...zero....zilch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2012, 05:43 PM

4,516 posts, read 7,660,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
I'll say it one more time. Obama has a ZERO chance of carrying GA in the electoral college. If he lost the state in 2008 by several points, he has no chance in hell of winning it this November. None...zero....zilch.
We got ya the first time.

I guess I'll repeat what I last said in here too, since I suppose that's becoming the thing..

I doubt Obama will win Georgia. So, no worries Neil.

Old 02-04-2012, 07:13 PM

1,352 posts, read 3,974,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthronAmerican View Post
To some degree actually, yes, they do. It's not something that happens every election, but significant shifts do occur from time such as the large scale movement of African-Americans into the Democratic Party in the 1960s or southern conservatives into the Republican Party in the 1990s.
Well since you brought that up, you are aware why the republicans and democrats swapped places in most states, right? Historically speaking

Old 02-05-2012, 09:48 AM

33,222 posts, read 30,564,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
We can only hope Obama doesn't win GA.
Nothing to "hope" for; he won't. But I still think he'll win re-election, but that remains to be seen.

Old 02-05-2012, 09:58 AM

7,862 posts, read 15,324,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I still think he'll win re-election
I think that's wishful thinking. The scenarios that have Obama winning a majority of the electoral college are fewer than in 2008. Since we don't know who the Republican nominee will be yet, it's not as easy to predict, but I think now that Obama has a 3.5 year record to defend (that in my opinion is awful), and the "hope and change" myth has been debunked, he doesn't have the mystique.

Don't forget that in 2008 there were several factors in Obama's favor that he doesn't have in 2012. There was a historical possibility of the first person of multiracial ancestry being elected and some of the social implications from that and rallying of minorities to vote who typically do not vote; there was a huge desire by some liberals to move away from George Bush and the war; the economy was just starting to become uncertain and had not tipped over yet, but Obama was seen as a social program guy who would somehow rescue the "average" American from the bad economy. He was also running against McCain, who by all admissions is an honorable man, but much older and a bit of a retread from the "old guard."

Old 02-05-2012, 03:35 PM

33,222 posts, read 30,564,497 times
Quote:
I think that's wishful thinking. The scenarios that have Obama winning a majority of the electoral college are fewer than in 2008. Since we don't know who the Republican nominee will be yet, it's not as easy to predict, but I think now that Obama has a 3.5 year record to defend (that in my opinion is awful), and the "hope and change" myth has been debunked, he doesn't have the mystique.

Don't forget that in 2008 there were several factors in Obama's favor that he doesn't have in 2012. There was a historical possibility of the first person of multiracial ancestry being elected and some of the social implications from that and rallying of minorities to vote who typically do not vote; there was a huge desire by some liberals to move away from George Bush and the war; the economy was just starting to become uncertain and had not tipped over yet, but Obama was seen as a social program guy who would somehow rescue the "average" American from the bad economy. He was also running against McCain, who by all admissions is an honorable man, but much older and a bit of a retread from the "old guard."
This isn't the politics forum so I don't wish to get into the specifics. But as I see it at this point (and it's a political eternity from now to November), he wins against any of the Republican hopefuls and that's a very realistic outcome. If Romney is the GOP nominee, that will definitely be harder to do; it would be a bit easier versus Gingrich, Santorum, or Paul. To keep things on topic, I reiterate the fact that there's absolutely no way he wins Georgia.

Old 02-05-2012, 09:28 PM

4,516 posts, read 7,660,367 times
Mutiny is correct. These republican nominees are a joke. So much inner party fighting. What can I say though? This is only my opinion.

..and in my opinion, the republicans are making Obama look like the lesser of two evils. Just like Kerry did with Bush. We all know how that turned out. Then again, I was shocked by those results and wouldn't be surprised if some kind of conspiracy was going on with that. Ya never know..

Old 02-06-2012, 03:33 PM

5,845 posts, read 4,737,147 times
Quote:
I lived in Mass during Mitt's entire 4 year term, and while he isn't perfect, he's actually a very smart guy with some common sense. He took control of the big dig towards the end and started to clean up the mess.

His downfall is that he has a hard time taking a stand and sticking to it, and he sometimes can be perceived as a flip flopper. One thing I love about him is that he's not a religious zealot and is a northeastern Republican.
"Sometimes"?

Old 02-06-2012, 03:34 PM

5,845 posts, read 4,737,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityrover View Post
not really. What changes are the variables.

The people do not change.

Let's take WV which basically has 0% net gain of population. Are you saying that people there just change parties at will? This is not what is happening.

Let's take 100% population. Of that let's say 70% is eligible to vote.

Of those 70, 45% actually do vote.

Out of those 45% 15% will go for one side no matter what, 15% for the other.

That leaves 15% of swingers who always decide the elections. ALWAYS.

so technically, what changes is those few undecided voters who can't ever make up their minds. That's why we have this whole circus called "campaigning". It is all about getting those 15% to swing either way
That's what she said.

Old 02-06-2012, 07:06 PM

2,819 posts, read 9,580,529 times
Default No to Georgia

Obama will take the following counties:

Bibb
Calhoun
Chatham
Clarke
Clay
Clayton
DeKalb
Daugherty
Fulton
Liberty
Macon
Muscogee
Richmond
Stewart
Talbot

Rest of the state will vote Republican. Some of the above counties will be by thin margin with the exception of Fulton, DeKalb, and Clayton.

As far as the national race, it is the GOP's to lose. Obama's radical Keynesian economics is taking a heavy toll on the country with the massive debt and decaying monetary exchange.

The GOP may choke again and this is with the radical right once again going bonkers from the abortion issues and even today with the million mother family council demostrating for JC Penney to fire Ellen DeGenerous for being "gay"

Overall the GOP and DNC have two deadly viruses infesting their bowels. The DNC's issue is the radical left, unfortunately the current group in charge from Pelosi and Reid with Obama. The radical right with the evangelicals and the bedroom police tied with the NeoCons.

Unfortunately, the government and White House has been occupied by one or the other since 1988 and the piper is now wanting paid and all we have is empty pockets and clueless imagination.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia