U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2012, 06:35 PM

38 posts, read 75,424 times

Advertisements

Hello! My husband and I are considering a move to Georgia. Things in New Jersey have gotten out of hand. We live in a townhouse with no private back yard, in a school district that is suffering with taxes and COL that are ever increasing. We have 5 children ages 12, 4, 3, 1 and a newborn. We really want to move to have a better quality of life overall. We are looking for a great, proactive school system, with access to sports and other extra curricular activities. Our school budget has been cut so drastically, there is nothing in the way of sports, or even an after school program in the upper elementary. We would love a 4 or 5 bedroom house with a basement and a nice outdoor space. We would like to spend no more than 270k since we will be taking a huge hit on our current home. We are used to traveling to malls and such, about 15-20 minutes. I like something with a comfortable town feeling, but not rural. Definitely looking for a suburb with young families. We are not showy and don't want to be in an area where we have to keep up with the Jones'. We are definitely a "t-shirt and jeans, kind of on the earthy side, would love a garden and a clothes line" type of family :-) I would also love to be within driving distance to farms and farmers markets. The job situation is not a concern. My husband works remotely, but has an affiliate in Marietta. We are Caucasian, but our oldest child is biracial, so we would like a community that is accepting of that. Our area is a beautiful mix culturally, so we would like to keep that, but still be in a middle-upper middle class area. My husband travels occasionally for work, so not a terrible drive to the airport would be great. Thanks so much for your input.

Last edited by Dermadee; 01-30-2012 at 07:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2012, 08:44 PM

43 posts, read 56,676 times
In GA Cobb county schools are hard to beat. I'm not sure about schools in Acworth specifically but i do know they are good overall in Kennesaw. Also these two towns are the closest to a mall,(Town Center at Cobb). Peachtree City(PTC) does have The Avenue with Newnan having Ashley Park(about 15 min away) but those are both open air malls with limited stores compared to Town Center. A 4 or 5 bedroom house in PTC would definitely eat up most if not all of your budget. Houses are cheaper in Kennesaw and even cheaper in Acworth. However the commute to the airport is easier from PTC than from Kennesaw and Acworth since traffic is minimal on 85 south of Atlanta, even during rush hour.

If it would have to give a recommendation i'd say Kennesaw would probably be your best fit.

Old 02-09-2012, 03:11 AM

119 posts, read 107,199 times
I would recommend the Kennesaw/Acworth area over PTC.
PTC has very strict city covenants and HOA rules. I have many friends there but find it remote and cookie cutter. Houses are more expensive and major shopping is remote.
Kennesaw has great schools, a University (24k students), parks, and very nice neighborhoods. You will not have a problem finding a home for $270k. Property and sales taxes are low. Plenty of options for dining, shopping, medical care, theatres, health clubs and practically everything you will ever need.
Consider other cities in Cobb county like Marietta (east & west Cobb) and Powder Springs. These cities all run into each other and are part of Cobb County. You can live in Marietta 30064 zipcode, Acworth or Powder Springs and still attend Kennesaw schools like Kennesaw Mtn High (Academy of Math, Science & Technology) or Harrson High (GA school of excellence).
East Cobb also has top notch award winning schools but homes are a bit more expensive. Check out 30062, 30066, 30067 but you will find newer, bigger in West Cobb.
Airport is closer to east cobb and about 40 minutes (no traffic) from Kennesaw/Acworth/West Marietta.
I've included some links to assist you.

Good Luck

Old 02-09-2012, 07:16 AM

744 posts, read 2,184,107 times
The commute from Peachtree City to Marietta would be brutal as far as distance and traffic. At least an hour or more one way and that is in good traffic. If some major tie up happens - you're talking way longer than that .
To the airport , it is about 25 minutes away.
It is not as cookie cutter as some people seem to think it is. Having had a business that took us in and out of homes all over the town, you can find variety there, you just need to know where to look.
It is a covenent happy area , so being able to put up a laundry line, might be an issue in some of the subdivisions. I had one in mine and it was not an issue there.

Last edited by go falcons; 02-09-2012 at 07:25 AM..

Old 02-12-2012, 10:33 AM

23 posts, read 51,579 times
Decatur has good schools and is a little town within itself yet still very much part of Atlanta. It's culturally diverse and has a mixture of old and new homes, plus it's near a MARTA rail line (and MARTA runs all the way to the airport, which would be useful for your husband when he travels for work). I grew up in Decatur so my bias in its favor is clearly showing here!

I've always preferred the areas closer in to Atlanta more than the newer suburbs outside of it, many of which sprung up back in the bad old days of the "white flight" to the 'burbs after the Civil Rights Act became law in the 1960s. There are some beautiful areas of Atlanta that pre-date that era that are full of character and might well have what you're looking for.

Sadly, there is still racism in Atlanta, although it's changed a lot for the better since the days when I was growing up. The farther you get out from Atlanta, the worse it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia