U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2007, 06:18 PM

36 posts, read 220,798 times

Advertisements

I forgot to ask this in my other thread. What towns around Atlanta seem to experience lots of flooding every year? I want to avoid living on flood plains. We've had a lot of flooding up here in Illinois recently. For the first time in years, our county was declared a disaster areas due to all the flooding recently.

I reeeally want to avoid that problem. Water damage leads to mold, and mold leads to respiratory problems. I already have asthma.

Thank!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2007, 03:04 PM

168 posts, read 579,287 times
You are right to be concerned about mold. There are some pretty mildewy/moldy homes for rentals, and they are all over. Your nose will point those out, of course.

Low spots, vs flood plain: The north side of Atlanta (and much of Atlanta) is mostly on gentle hills (the piedmont), so you do have drainage to the low spots, vs a floodplain. Don't know about other counties, but in Cobb Co, it's more likely that an individual house, or group of homes, would have a low spot where water collects, or gets in due to improper building and grading practices by the builder.

In most cases, you won't have a problem in a new home. If you're looking at older homes, you can usually see a problem just by walking around and noting the grade...and the smell inside.

Other than that, a good real estate agent will steer you away from any potential problem areas.

Old 09-06-2007, 07:46 AM

7,100 posts, read 25,113,833 times
Atlanta has a lot of humidity. Mold and mildew MAY be a problem no matter where you choose. It's also bad for a lot of pollen type allergies. A properly air conditioned house will eliminate a lot of that type of problem though. Just get used to running the A/C a lot more than you are used to.

Old 09-06-2007, 08:42 AM

28 posts, read 160,987 times
The metro area because of its hills is pretty resistant to flooding but if you live near a river you could flood some It is not flat like the midwest and even if rivers do flood its usually only in certain areas. Its kind of hard to explain but Atlanta has always had a high rain count with little flooding. It can take a pounding of rain.

You always have to worry about flooding but I wouldn't worry about it too much in Atlanta.

Old 09-07-2007, 05:46 PM

726 posts, read 3,351,125 times
one of these bureaucracies

georgia.gov - Georgia Emergency Management Agency (http://gema.georgia.gov/01/home/0,2197,868212,00.html - broken link)

FEMA Map Service Center -

Georgia Floodplain Mapping Program
Georgia Flood Mapping Program

Old 09-08-2007, 06:45 PM

36 posts, read 220,798 times
Thanks guys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or