Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2007, 04:51 AM

2 posts, read 6,777 times

Advertisements

I am a 19 year old college student attending Georgia State. As we all know, GA is very strict on teen drivers. I have never had a single ticket or caused a single accident since i started driving at 16. However this summer i got my first ticket and it was a big one- 30 miles over the limit. As you may know, GA law says that any person under 21 who gets a ticket for more than 24 over will have a mandatory 6 month suspension.

I cannot afford to have this happen because I live at home in Alpharetta and I have to drive downtown to GA State almost every day for school.

Can somebody recommend the best course of action for me? Should I get a lawyer and try to fight it, or should I just plead guilty and hope that the judge is nice enough to see that I have an excellent driving record for someone my age and lower the speed for me?

Also on a slightly different note, if I do get my driver's license suspended, does anybody know if I would be able to go and take the Motorcycle test and get a Motorcycle license during my 6 month suspension?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2007, 05:44 AM

183 posts, read 1,004,182 times
As far as I know, if your license is suspended, there's no way you could take a motorcycle test or get a license to drive one. We went through this with 2 of our kids, my daughter spoke with the solicitor at the courthouse, because she had an excellent driving record, they reduced the speed, which saved her. My son, on the other hand, was not so lucky. His license was suspended for 6 months, he paid a fine and had to take a defensive driving course. Then after the 6 months, he had to pay a reinstatement fee on top of everything else. It may be possible that the judge would allow you to drive to and from school only. Where did you get the ticket? I wish you luck and I hope all goes well for you.

Old 09-05-2007, 09:54 AM

2 posts, read 6,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rasmom View Post
As far as I know, if your license is suspended, there's no way you could take a motorcycle test or get a license to drive one. We went through this with 2 of our kids, my daughter spoke with the solicitor at the courthouse, because she had an excellent driving record, they reduced the speed, which saved her. My son, on the other hand, was not so lucky. His license was suspended for 6 months, he paid a fine and had to take a defensive driving course. Then after the 6 months, he had to pay a reinstatement fee on top of everything else. It may be possible that the judge would allow you to drive to and from school only. Where did you get the ticket? I wish you luck and I hope all goes well for you.
Thanks for the reply. I got the ticket in Alpharetta. If you don't mind me asking, did your son have any previous tickets, or did he also have a good driving record but just not get as lucky as your daughter? Also, did your daughter go to speak to the solicitor before her court date or after? Thanks again for the advice.

Old 09-05-2007, 11:38 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,218,950 times
30 miles over the speed limit is beyond ridiculous. Sorry, but you are probably out of luck. Maybe a lawyer can get you out of trouble, but I think you'd be better off taking your well earned punishment and learning to slow down.

Old 09-05-2007, 05:13 PM

This was the first offense for both. My daughter got her ticket in Atlanta, she spoke with the solicitor the day she was to appear. She was not going as fast as you, however.And she was about to turn 21. My son got stopped by Six Flags, he was 24 miles over.He didn't like riding a bike to work and taking the bus to school, but he learned an expensive and valuable lesson.I have told my kids,I would rather they come home with a ticket than have the officer at my door bringing me the news of a parents worst nightmare.You will get through it, whatever the cost financially or emotionally. Be thankful you didn't hurt someone else or yourself.And please SLOW down!

Old 09-05-2007, 05:17 PM

By the way, every ride I had to give my son I would mention that this could all have been avoided if he had done the right thing, whether someone is looking or not. I would tell him the speed limit sign says"55", and doesn't add "except for you son!"

Old 09-06-2007, 07:23 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,218,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rasmom View Post
This was the first offense for both.
It was the first time they got caught. It's highly unlikely it was the first time they did it.

Old 09-06-2007, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
It was the first time they got caught. It's highly unlikely it was the first time they did it.
You are probably right...but it has been 9 years and they have been fine since the experience. Sometimes it only takes once to learn a lesson! They have children of their own now. Not everyone has to be hit over the head to learn. Thankfully they learned the lesson while they were young, after all, that's when they are expected to make poor choices.Not everyone is a repeat offender. Have some faith!

Old 09-06-2007, 07:39 PM

726 posts, read 3,591,416 times
MARTA - Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
View detailed profiles of: