U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 09:48 AM

7,732 posts, read 12,477,185 times

Advertisements

I absolutely do not want to see I-3 happen North of I-85. I would actually give money to the Sierra Club to help tie it up in lawsuits for decades.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2012, 11:25 AM

980 posts, read 1,275,187 times
Makes you wonder how I-26 or I-75 were ever built through the mountains in the first place with these professional groups and individual people that have blocked I-3 so far... people are getting tired of going through Atlanta for everything with no other alternative.

Personally, it doesn't make much sense to turn down immediate jobs and a MUCH NEEDED improvement on state infrastructure when you see the economy we're currently in... how many other state programs essentially thrown money down the toilets on a yearly basis? While something like this that would positively effect the state economy is continually moth-balled...

Old 02-19-2012, 01:04 PM

67 posts, read 206,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
What's the point of I-14? There's no need for an interstate to go to Natchez, MS. There's no point of any of that route beyond Montgomery. Even then, all that is really needed is a connection to Auburn/Opelika at I-85, as it carries on to Montgomery.

I could see a reasonable argument for a connection to Macon with Columbus, as well as a connection between Macon & Augusta. A connection between Savannah and Augusta is also reasonable, perhaps even to I-85 in northeast Georgia, but to Knoxville? Why? Right through the heart of the mountains, destroying the beauty of the area?

The numbering of I-3 is odd. I-3 should be on the west coast, west of I-5. The numbering should be something like I-83.
There already is an I-83. It goes from Baltimore, MD to Harrisburg, PA. There are no more odd numbers that fit in line with the current interstate numbering system. Every odd number from 69 up is taken.

I agree that Natchez is a weird stopping point. There are no other interstate connections in Natchez. I could see it going to Hattiesburg, MS to connect with I-59. There must be a reason for the current plan though.

Knoxville makes perfect sense for the other highway. It would give people traveling on I-75 an alternative means to get to/from Florida. It would significant lessen through traffic volumes in Chattanooga, Atlanta, Macon, and the cities along the I-75 corridor into Florida. I am sure one little intestate isn't going to destroy the beauty of the entire mountain area.

Remember also the interstate system is primarily a road network for national defense, to move troops, first and foremost.

Last edited by atl85; 02-19-2012 at 01:23 PM..

Old 02-19-2012, 02:04 PM

I fully expect Atlanta and the power entrenched up there to not want this or any other new interstate to take place... everything comes to Atlanta currently. Everything. Why would they want things to change? There are very few states set up like Georgia: 1 heavyweight champion and 3 or 4 flyweights. Most states have at least 2 and in south carolina's case 3 or 4 cities that compete on a nearly level playing field, which again is not the case in Georgia.

I find it funny that so many are opposed to another interstate (again, seems to be centered around Atlanta with some NE Georgia voices here and there) running through Georgia... but yet Atlanta if they had their way would build some kind of massive pipeline or other system across the state to funnel water from Augusta/Savannah via the Savannah River basin.

I don't know if that's irony or hypocrisy... maybe a little combo of both?

Georgia's state economy is begging for something different, the old model based on the late 80's/early 90's Atlanta boom isn't working anymore... the proof is in any newspaper you open.

A rising tide raises all boats... the tentacles extending north and east out of Atlanta to the mountains makes it seem like there is an alternative motive going on here in this discussion.

When a city starts to worry about it's water supply, it's getting too big... try something new.

Old 02-19-2012, 02:58 PM

1,313 posts, read 1,540,749 times
The population of Georgia will continue to climb, whether you like it or not we can get these interstates built or suffer unplanned growth in our rural areas which can further unbalance the economy...... The future of this state lies in its first two settlements..... Savannah with its port is an automatic source of income for the state. Augusta is on a boom with the NSA and Fort Gordon, Plant Vogtle a few miles south, The merger of the states only public medical school and Augusta State University, the airport is growing and look at the map but Augusta has plenty of land to grow and expand. Why are people delaying the inedible.

Old 02-19-2012, 03:22 PM

4,492 posts, read 6,371,213 times
Not a fan of I-3 at all. I-14 makes much more sense in my opinion.

Old 02-19-2012, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
Not a fan of I-3 at all. I-14 makes much more sense in my opinion.
Well said friend Interstate 3 is designed flawed in my opinion. I designed Interstate 63 from Tallahassee to Greenville SC, which connects to Knoxville. To me this seems like a smarter route and all you would need is a bypass to Savannah. I mean i'm throwing this well planned idea out here but nobody is biting it.

Old 02-19-2012, 03:38 PM

What part of I-3 doesn't make sense?

Connecting Georgia's 2 largest producers outside of Atlanta?
Connecting the Eastern seaboard's 2nd largest port with another interstate?
The flow that would travel down I-3 from the heavily populated Big Ten country of the midwest to get to I-95?

They both make sense to me, because the current Interstate system in Georgia is pathetic... but to say I-3 is less important than an interstate terminating in Natchez, MS? Either you're trolling or you're from Columbus...

Old 02-19-2012, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tckr83 View Post
What part of I-3 doesn't make sense?

Connecting Georgia's 2 largest producers outside of Atlanta?
Connecting the Eastern seaboard's 2nd largest port with another interstate?
The flow that would travel down I-3 from the heavily populated Big Ten country of the midwest to get to I-95?

They both make sense to me, because the current Interstate system in Georgia is pathetic... but to say I-3 is less important than an interstate terminating in Natchez, MS? Either you're trolling or you're from Columbus...
I like the idea but it has design flaws that is why I say it should connect to Interstate 26 in Greenville SC, because it connects to Knoxville. This would also connect the Ohio River Valley to Augusta and Savannah which currently does not exist.

Old 02-19-2012, 04:00 PM

4,511 posts, read 7,564,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Maybe SC should get on board and have it extended eastward to Charleston along SC 781 and US 78.
I believe there were actually already talks to extend the proposed I-14 from Augusta to either Myrtle Beach or Wilmington.
On the opposite end, there were talks to extend it from Natchez, through Alexandria and just north of Houston, perhaps to Austin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpatt.marine1 View Post
Why are people delaying the inedible.
I believe the word you're looking for is inevitable. If it is inedible, then you can't eat it. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or