U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 04:02 PM

4,492 posts, read 6,370,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tckr83 View Post
What part of I-3 doesn't make sense?

Connecting Georgia's 2 largest producers outside of Atlanta?
Connecting the Eastern seaboard's 2nd largest port with another interstate?
The flow that would travel down I-3 from the heavily populated Big Ten country of the midwest to get to I-95?

They both make sense to me, because the current Interstate system in Georgia is pathetic... but to say I-3 is less important than an interstate terminating in Natchez, MS? Either you're trolling or you're from Columbus...
Trolling? You are kidding right? That interstate makes no sense at all. The cost to cut through the mountains would be unreal. You must be from Augusta since you are quick to react to someone who doesn't like the idea. Georgia needs a west-east interstate. We don't need another north-south.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2012, 04:05 PM

1,313 posts, read 1,540,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
I believe there were actually already talks to extend the proposed I-14 from Augusta to either Myrtle Beach or Wilmington.
On the opposite end, there were talks to extend it from Natchez, through Alexandria and just north of Houston, perhaps to Austin.

I believe the word you're looking for is inevitable. If it is inedible, then you can't eat it. LOL
Lol good check.

Old 02-19-2012, 04:19 PM

4,511 posts, read 7,563,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
. Georgia needs a west-east interstate. We don't need another north-south.
In all seriousness, currently, Georgia has 2 north-south interstates (75 & 95). We have 3 east-west (16, 20, 85). We do need another north-south, especially to bypass Atlanta and to connect Savannah with Augusta. Folks coming from Tennessee and northward could use the proposed I-3 to get to I-95 and proceed further to Florida as an alternative to I-75 (again, to ease traffic in Atlanta).

Yes, costs to go through the mountains would be high. Would it be worth it? Well, I would at least want a study to be done to find out exactly what the costs are, monetary and beyond. (BTW, US 441's path could be used to some degree through North Georgia and parts of Western North Carolina)

If costs ended up outweighing the benefits, I don't see a problem with I-3 crossing the border and entering the Greenville region a bit to the west to meet up with I-26 just inside North Carolina using US 25's path.

As for I-14, I am a supporter of it as well as extending the 185 spur to the Gulf. Are all three interstates needed? Absolutely!

Old 02-19-2012, 04:23 PM

980 posts, read 1,274,980 times
I've seen you post for a while, don't act like you're not city-data PR firm for Columbus, Ga... you didn't exactly elaborate on anything is my point.

The fact that Savannah's port alone is involved makes I-3 more important for Georgia. If you want to throw in GDP and volume that would travel on the two proposed interstates, it skews it even further. So, yes... I-3 regardless of the route ultimately used is a greater priority than I-14 which at least currently has the fall-line freeway to hold things over until 14 is built hopefully one day.

Old 02-19-2012, 04:30 PM

4,492 posts, read 6,370,255 times
Quote:
I've seen you post for a while, don't act like you're not city-data PR firm for Columbus, Ga... you didn't exactly elaborate on anything is my point.

The fact that Savannah's port alone is involved makes I-3 more important for Georgia. If you want to throw in GDP and volume that would travel on the two proposed interstates, it skews it even further. So, yes... I-3 regardless of the route ultimately used is a greater priority than I-14 which at least currently has the fall-line freeway to hold things over until 14 is built hopefully one day.
Just like you and Nort are for Augusta. Damn proud of it!

Old 02-19-2012, 04:40 PM

7,732 posts, read 12,476,038 times
Quote:
I fully expect Atlanta and the power entrenched up there to not want this or any other new interstate to take place... everything comes to Atlanta currently. Everything. Why would they want things to change? There are very few states set up like Georgia: 1 heavyweight champion and 3 or 4 flyweights. Most states have at least 2 and in south carolina's case 3 or 4 cities that compete on a nearly level playing field, which again is not the case in Georgia.
Then you would be wrong to assume any such thing about "Atlanta" and the supposed power entrenched there. We get the shaft from the State more often than not, and we send out more tax $$$ than we receive back. I know many people that are in favor of a bypass around Atlanta for through traffic - we don't like traffic either, trust me. I-3 North of I-85 is a terrible idea though, and you can expect a huge fight if it moves forward.

Quote:
I find it funny that so many are opposed to another interstate (again, seems to be centered around Atlanta with some NE Georgia voices here and there) running through Georgia... but yet Atlanta if they had their way would build some kind of massive pipeline or other system across the state to funnel water from Augusta/Savannah via the Savannah River basin.
LOL! Pretty huge strawman, don't you think. I have NEVER heard of such a hair-brained proposal as this "massive pipeline."

Quote:
I don't know if that's irony or hypocrisy... maybe a little combo of both?

Georgia's state economy is begging for something different, the old model based on the late 80's/early 90's Atlanta boom isn't working anymore... the proof is in any newspaper you open.
Several areas of the State outside of Atlanta are doing very well, and we are happy for them. We aren't going anywhere, though - and companies are continuing to move here. Atlanta needs to be treated by the State as the asset it is, instead of the whipping boy. I tend to think you probably fall in the latter camp.

Quote:
A rising tide raises all boats... the tentacles extending north and east out of Atlanta to the mountains makes it seem like there is an alternative motive going on here in this discussion.

When a city starts to worry about it's water supply, it's getting too big... try something new.
Exactly. A healthy and vibrant metro Atlanta is good for the entire State. As far as the water supply, we're just fine. This whole water war is political. The watershed and the Lake are in our area, the water is ours - despite the wishes of a judge in Minnesota and the States of Alabama and Florida.

Old 02-19-2012, 04:51 PM

4,511 posts, read 7,563,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
A healthy and vibrant metro Atlanta is good for the entire State. As far as the water supply, we're just fine. This whole water war is political. The watershed and the Lake are in our area, the water is ours - despite the wishes of a judge in Minnesota and the States of Alabama and Florida.
I fully agree with most of what you're saying. A healthy Atlanta contributes to a healthy Georgia.

I somewhat disagree with you about the water. The water isn't completely ours. We share it, it is ours, Alabama's and Florida's. It is theirs too.

Old 02-19-2012, 04:54 PM

If you go on the Augusta forum, I shred Augusta's city government to pieces. Don't lump me in with you and Nort...

Old 02-19-2012, 05:09 PM

John,

Have you not seen article after article about Atlanta possibly tapping into the Savannah River basin? If implemented, how would this water be transferred? A magic wand? Of course not, some kind of piping system... and why would they be exploring this in the first place? Because Atlanta is getting too big for it's water supply!

The economy in the state of Georgia is horrible... there was just an article released on foreclosures, credit ratings, jobs, etc about this. What have you been reading?

Atlanta isn't going anywhere... I have family in Atlanta and visit often. But it's about improving state infrastructure, preparing for the future and jobs right now... or at least it should be.

North Carolina is surpassing Georgia... sharp contrast to Georgia and its make-up.

Old 02-19-2012, 05:29 PM

7,732 posts, read 12,476,038 times
Quote:
John,

Have you not seen article after article about Atlanta possibly tapping into the Savannah River basin? If implemented, how would this water be transferred? A magic wand? Of course not, some kind of piping system... and why would they be exploring this in the first place? Because Atlanta is getting too big for it's water supply!

The economy in the state of Georgia is horrible... there was just an article released on foreclosures, credit ratings, jobs, etc about this. What have you been reading?

Atlanta isn't going anywhere... I have family in Atlanta and visit often. But it's about improving state infrastructure, preparing for the future and jobs right now... or at least it should be.

North Carolina is surpassing Georgia... sharp contrast to Georgia and its make-up.
I haven't heard of any such plan for the SRB at all. I've heard talk of a pipeline to the Tennessee River though.

And I simply don't buy all of this talk about North Carolina surpassing us. The lost Caterpillar to us.......they have nothing remotely similar to the Port of Savannah or Hartsfield-Jackson.

Last edited by johnatl; 02-19-2012 at 05:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or