Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 01:29 PM

13 posts, read 36,558 times

Advertisements

My wife has gotten three job offers, one in Columbus, Augusta, and Macon. I need personal input on crime(want a low crime rate), education, shopping, dining, cost of living, nightlife, ect. I have two kids, both of which are honor students. We've lived in Kissimmee, FL for the past 10 years, we want a city-feel town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2009, 05:38 PM

64 posts, read 181,407 times
Augusta.....
Stay clear of Columbus.....

Old 08-08-2009, 06:04 PM

119 posts, read 298,640 times
Columbus is a great choice due to the massive growth that is headed that way. All of the cities are good though.

Old 08-08-2009, 06:12 PM

117 posts, read 507,380 times
City feel ... I would say Augusta since it is the largest city out of the bunch. Columbus in my opinion would be a good choice as well. Macon is full of crime and has a poor education system and ineffective city government!

Old 08-09-2009, 08:06 AM

2,014 posts, read 5,101,169 times
City feel would certainly count Columbus out. Augusta and Macon kind of feel the same, but of course Augusta is a little bigger with a little more things to offer, but when you think about it, Macon is much closer to ATL than Augusta. For whatever more Augusta can offer me than Macon, I think I'd rather stay in the Macon-Warner Robins area and enjoy their amenities combined with its close proximity to metro ATL, if you needed more.

Bibb County Public schools has issues, but of course, the better the area you stay in the better the schools will be. It's not like you cant find good schools and get a quality education here.

On schooldigger, Bibb County is ranked 140th out of 157 districts with a 1 out of 5 stars rating...that looks horrible, but so is Augusta, Richmond County is 145th! This is one of the few areas Columbus offers an advantage, but still it only has a 2 star rating. Pick your poison as far as education with the districts these cities are in.

Old 08-09-2009, 04:08 PM

543 posts, read 1,316,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissimmee_2_Georgia View Post
My wife has gotten three job offers, one in Columbus, Augusta, and Macon. I need personal input on crime(want a low crime rate), education, shopping, dining, cost of living, nightlife, ect. I have two kids, both of which are honor students. We've lived in Kissimmee, FL for the past 10 years, we want a city-feel town.
Crime- Augusta has crime rates lower than the other two

Education- Augusta has several magnet school for the arts, medical and engineer careers fields( the others dont offer that). Since both of you children are honor students, they should have problems getting accepted. Columbia and Aiken Co. have great education system.

Dining- Augusta, hands down

Cost of Living- Augusta is known its affordable housing, low taxes

Nightlife- I cant speak on the other cities but Augusta is decent. Im not goting say its Vegas or anything because I dont want you to be mis informed.

City feel- Augusta the closest to city feel you are going to get out of the three. Augusta is no Orlando.

Old 08-09-2009, 07:39 PM

1,303 posts, read 3,857,194 times
The three are pretty similar, really. Yes, Augusta is going to be a little bigger, but it is also the furthest from Atlanta. Macon will put you closest to Atlanta (if that is important).
Crime has gone up significantly in the city of Augusta from the previous year ( I am assuming the same is true for Macon and Columbus too).. Maybe its the high unemployment rate and just the summer heat, but homicides and armed robberies are nearly double from last year. But crime in the suburban areas are still pretty low. Crime rates have actually fallen in Columbia County. North Augusta also seems to be pretty safe for the most part.

Old 08-09-2009, 08:37 PM

543 posts, read 1,316,941 times
Why is Atlanta in the conversation? Being close to Atlanta was never mentioned in the post. We already been thru this already. We know you are bias of Augusta, guy. Where are the facts? Augusta crime is about the same as last years, which is now high for a city it size. Macon has a worst track record, its actually made many list of top crime areas. But of course you wont mention that.

Old 08-10-2009, 03:15 PM

13 posts, read 36,558 times
Atlanta, doesn't matter to me. Airports are important, rank all three for me please. I also like good interstate access. What are good suburbs for all three?

Old 08-10-2009, 03:36 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,508 posts, read 15,101,643 times
Airport- size, price of flights, airlines. Augusta wins hands down.

Interstate access- Macon has I-75 and I-16, Augusta has I-20, and Columbus I-185. Macon has the edge their.

Augusta has the lowest violent crime of the cities. Columbus is pretty safe. Macon, Savannah, and Atlanta are the most dangerous big cities in GA.

West Augusta is a nice suburb in Augusta.

Last edited by nortonguy; 08-10-2009 at 03:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia