Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you want TSPLOST in your region to pass (vote ONLY for your region)
Metro Atlanta: YES 12 40.00%
Metro Atlanta: NO 3 10.00%
Central Savannah (Augusta/Waynesboro/Thomson): YES 2 6.67%
Central Savannah (Augusta/Waynesboro/Thomson): NO 1 3.33%
Coastal Georgia (Savannah/Brunswick/Statesboro: YES 1 3.33%
Coastal Georgia (Savannah/Brunswick/Statesboro): NO 2 6.67%
Georgia Mountains (Gainesville/Cumming/Commerce): YES 0 0%
Georgia Mountains (Gainesville/Cumming/Commerce): NO 0 0%
Heart of Georgia (Dublin/Swainsboro/Jesup): YES 0 0%
Heart of Georgia (Dublin/Swainsboro/Jesup): NO 0 0%
Middle Georgia (Macon/Warner Robins/Milledgeville): YES 2 6.67%
Middle Georgia (Macon/Warner Robins/Milledgeville): NO 1 3.33%
Northeast Georgia (Athens/Winder/Madison): YES 0 0%
Northeast Georgia (Athens/Winder/Madison): NO 0 0%
Northwest Georgia (Rome/Dalton/Cartersville): YES 2 6.67%
Northwest Georgia (Rome/Dalton/Cartersville): NO 1 3.33%
River Valley (Columbus/Americus/Pine Mtn): YES 2 6.67%
River Valley (Columbus/Americus/Pine Mtn): NO 0 0%
Southern Georgia (Valdosta/Waycross/Tifton): YES 0 0%
Southern Georgia (Valdosta/Waycross/Tifton): NO 0 0%
Southwest Georgia (Albany/Bainbridge/Blakely): YES 0 0%
Southwest Georgia (Albany/Bainbridge/Blakely): NO 0 0%
Three Rivers (LaGrange/Carrollton/Barnesville): YES 0 0%
Three Rivers (LaGrange/Carrollton/Barnesville): NO 1 3.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 11:59 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,909,282 times

Advertisements

Why didnt they divy up the vote by Congressional Districts or county by county (a statewide referendum that funds specific projects IN YOUR COMMUNITY)?

TWO WORDS: Metro Atlanta! Some of y'all are just COMPLETELY oblivious to the amount of distrust the rest of the state has for what goes on in Metro Atlanta, and why not?! METRO ATLANTA IS A MESS! There is absolutley no precedent to suggest that this thing, should it pass, is going to produce the results that it promises.

Don't get me wrong; I support the TSPLOST and hope it succeeds, particularly in the coastal region of the state in which I live. But I'm not so foolish enough to recognize that the entire process is incredibly flawed and that there MIGHT be a better way.

Some of you are way to willing to sell your souls to the devil just to see it succeed, and condemn the populace (and our future) if it fails. Who's to say the NEXT proposal won't be perfection? This one most certainly is not!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 12:01 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,909,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
I voted no in the coastal area, as I feel the lions share of the projects will benefit the port of Ga and subsidize them. There is very little in the project for local infrastructure upgrades in our area.
THIS IS FOOLISH! Did you read the local projects list?!

Old 07-18-2012, 02:10 PM

1,531 posts, read 3,099,198 times
There is a better way: SPLOST. Look at how your county is misusing funds there & demand accountability!

To fund 20 years of projects in 10 is foolish, not sustainable & holds voters hostage to re-newing the tax in 10 years! Plus, how will these new roads be maintained? You vote YES & this tax will never go away!

Old 07-18-2012, 04:51 PM

4,120 posts, read 6,605,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
Why on earth wouldn't you want any of the projects to benefit the ports? They are the 2nd most important engine in the state of Georgia. It not only GREATLY benefits Savannah's economy, but the southeast's.

Besides that, I think you should take another look at the list of projects for Coastal Georgia. There are more than a few that benefit the region (including Savannah and surrounding areas like Statesboro, Hinesville and Brunswick to name a few) that have nothing to do with the ports.
With the majority of the projects going to benefit the transportation industry I don't feel like we the taxpayers are getting the full benefits of a sales tax increase. I would vote for a increase in the gas tax in a heartbeat as that is a much fairer way to tax those who would benefit. I drive less than 10 miles a day and will eat roughly a $200 to $300 a year increase in taxes. If the gas tax was to increase it would be less. There are projects on there that are long overdue and should have already had money allocated to them from the other splost taxes. I also don't feel I should be subsidizing the local bus service.

Also add in the tire fee which nobody knows where that money is and I don't trust them to use the money right. I vote liberal 90% of the time but I don't feel this tax benefits me.

Old 07-18-2012, 07:10 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,968,017 times
The transportation industry is at the bottom of a much wider pyramid which includes the consumer way up on the scale. Honestly, this will benefit everyone, but obviously it will immediately affect the construction crews/transportation industry first.
Why don't you feel the taxpayers are getting full benefits off of this? Think about it like this. It won't just be residence of Georgia paying for this, it will also be tourists... and when the money is raised/the goal is met, whether or not it is in 10 years, the collections will stop. Basically which ever comes first.
Like you said, there are projects on the list that are long overdue. If TSPLOST doesn't pass, you'll be waiting that much longer for them to get off the ground.
As far as other SPLOST projects, do you think it would be fair for something like ESPLOST (which is dedicated to educational purposes) to fund transportation projects like road construction?

Old 07-18-2012, 07:15 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,968,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 912 View Post
There is a better way: SPLOST. Look at how your county is misusing funds there & demand accountability!

To fund 20 years of projects in 10 is foolish, not sustainable & holds voters hostage to re-newing the tax in 10 years! Plus, how will these new roads be maintained? You vote YES & this tax will never go away!
TSPLOST is a statewide tax (depending on which regions decide to pass it) and cannot be messed with by county government.

I would think funding "20 years of projects in 10" is the opposite of unsustainable. A lot of these projects are way overdue. If anything, it will get the economic engine moving along at a faster rate.

Finally, voting yes doesn't guarantee that TSPLOST will be voted yes on again in the next 10 years.

Old 07-19-2012, 07:13 AM

4,120 posts, read 6,605,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 912 View Post

That's the other white elephant in the room, with a 7.5 cent gas tax lowest in the country how are we going to maintain the roads.

Also at a 8% sales tax, high property taxes I pay over 4k a year, and a income tax, Ga. is looking more like New Jersey every day.

Old 07-19-2012, 10:39 AM

6 posts, read 6,033 times
I live in Acworth (NW Georgia) my spouse and I are voting no

Old 07-19-2012, 12:40 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
That's the other white elephant in the room, with a 7.5 cent gas tax lowest in the country how are we going to maintain the roads.

Also at a 8% sales tax, high property taxes I pay over 4k a year, and a income tax, Ga. is looking more like New Jersey every day.
We actually pay a lot more per gallon in taxes than 7.5 cents, but the rest is an "excise tax", and I'm not sure where that money goes. As usual, Georgia seems to do things a little differently than much of the country. That isn't always a bad thing, but...

Old 07-19-2012, 03:43 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,706,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
We actually pay a lot more per gallon in taxes than 7.5 cents, but the rest is an "excise tax", and I'm not sure where that money goes. As usual, Georgia seems to do things a little differently than much of the country. That isn't always a bad thing, but...
A long read but explains where all the different taxes go in the state

http://www.cviog.uga.edu/free-downlo...e-fuel-tax.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia