U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 07:18 AM

68 posts, read 113,439 times

Advertisements

You couldnt pay me enough to live in a place like Albany.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2013, 11:02 AM

3 posts, read 4,199 times
What about Leesburg??? Good?? Bad??

Old 05-05-2016, 02:46 PM

737 posts, read 877,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRS86 View Post
Albany has some rough areas, but like in any other city, you will be perfectly safe as long as you avoid them. Most of Albany's crimes are more property related (burglaries, break ins, etc...) Throw in some retail armed robberies, with a few murders here and there. Most of these crimes tend to be concentrated in a few isolated areas mostly south and east of downtown. From my personal observations of Albany as an urban planner, I don't think you will be carjacked at an intersection, even in a tougher area. After all, it isn't Detroit by a long shot. Moral of the story, stay out of the rougher areas and you will be just fine.

The more sought after neighborhoods in Albany tend to be on the NW side out by Albany Mall. That's where most of Albany's retail and restaurant scene is located. If you have any school aged kids, you may want to consider Lee County, the preferred suburban area, which is adjacent to NW Albany. They have a pretty good reputation for their schools.

Traffic isn't an issue at all in Albany. You can go anywhere in no more than 20 -30 minutes or less.

Good luck on your move. Hope this info helps.
Thanks for the good, basic overview of Albany... I pass through about once a month, stopping at various shops and diners, and find the place and people to be quite charming larger small ton feel of a Deep South city.

Old 05-05-2016, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by will724 View Post
You couldnt pay me enough to live in a place like Albany.
Just curious, what do you find to be so terrible about Albany?

Old 05-09-2016, 11:45 AM

10,212 posts, read 9,877,562 times
My sister's family has lived in Albany since the mid 80s. They love their lives there.

Old 05-09-2016, 12:18 PM

2,141 posts, read 1,087,380 times
Downtown Albany and East Albany is where the hood is. West Albany is the good part.

Old 05-19-2016, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie1946 View Post
Recommend you keep BRAC in mind. With the DOD cuts and with the Marine Corps taking some heavy hits along with Army, the depot there might not have a bright future. But everything has risk.

Good luck.
I know that the Marine base is still in Albany, but there once was another military base in Albany that I've read really was booming, and made Albany a bit of a boom town during the Vietnam era.

Anyone know any details on exactly where that base was located, and since it reverted to part of the city og Albany, what area, and what landmarks still exist from this defunct fort?

I'm also making a stand-alone thread for this so other may see and respond beyond this thread.

Old 05-19-2016, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernTiger099 View Post
Downtown Albany and East Albany is where the hood is. West Albany is the good part.
Oglethorpe Road seems to be very safe, I travel it often.

Old 06-21-2016, 06:33 AM

155 posts, read 155,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Dockery View Post
Just curious, what do you find to be so terrible about Albany?
What's not terrible about Albany? Just a couple months ago myself and a mix group of my friends were walking on the riverfront park when these guys kept riding by and finally said better not be here when we circle around again.. I was so embarrassed because everyone always has a negative opinion about predominantly black cities and these jack rabbits just totally validated two of my friends within the groups opinions. BTW, The two were biracial and visiting Georgia for the first time outside of Atlanta. It embarrassed me and pissed me off in the same sense. I played it cool so as not to lose my cool and regret a decision I would have definitely regretted. Albany is one of my favorite cities but it sucks that the bad people give it such a bad rep. There's no reason Albany should be in the shape it is in now. I never get why there's nice manicured predominantly black areas in Atlanta,Augusta,Macon,Columbus but with as many African Americans living in Albany it looks so trashy and ugly. I even heard someone say Albany is the capital of section 8 and ratchetness. That's not a great name for such a potentially beautiful city. You can volunteer all day with organizations to clean the city but until you rid the city of the people who are bringing it down it will never go as far as you want it. That's just my opinion. I'm all for helping people as far as section 8 goes but people are starting to abuse the system and make a living off of it. It's meant to be a temporary assistance.

Old 09-07-2016, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaddeus_Hewitt View Post
What's not terrible about Albany? Just a couple months ago myself and a mix group of my friends were walking on the riverfront park when these guys kept riding by and finally said better not be here when we circle around again.. I was so embarrassed because everyone always has a negative opinion about predominantly black cities and these jack rabbits just totally validated two of my friends within the groups opinions. BTW, The two were biracial and visiting Georgia for the first time outside of Atlanta. It embarrassed me and pissed me off in the same sense. I played it cool so as not to lose my cool and regret a decision I would have definitely regretted. Albany is one of my favorite cities but it sucks that the bad people give it such a bad rep. There's no reason Albany should be in the shape it is in now. I never get why there's nice manicured predominantly black areas in Atlanta,Augusta,Macon,Columbus but with as many African Americans living in Albany it looks so trashy and ugly. I even heard someone say Albany is the capital of section 8 and ratchetness. That's not a great name for such a potentially beautiful city. You can volunteer all day with organizations to clean the city but until you rid the city of the people who are bringing it down it will never go as far as you want it. That's just my opinion. I'm all for helping people as far as section 8 goes but people are starting to abuse the system and make a living off of it. It's meant to be a temporary assistance.
Wow, it seems like such a nice place when I visit, but that is a terrible vibe you give Albany, a shame, really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or