U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2012, 03:55 PM

2 posts, read 3,462 times

Advertisements

I've heard nice things about Perry. I would like to retire where it is a bit warmer. The weather sites I have looked at seem to show that it rarely gets down to freezing temperatures in Perry. Is this true? I don't know the location of the weather stations there.

There are micro-climates in the Atlanta area. I am east of Stone Mountain, which is a few degrees colder than just a few miles west, in town. So, am very interested in knowing actual reports of Perry winters.

If folks in Perry could post winter weather reports, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 04:23 PM

4,516 posts, read 7,654,414 times
Anything south of the fall line will be several degrees warmer than those north of it. Think about Macon weather compared to Atlanta or even North Atlanta.
There are days where it may be 20 degrees different in only that span of 80 miles. Perry, of course, is slightly south of Macon.

Generally, I wouldn't expect anything drastic, but be prepared for some changes.
I moved up here from Savannah and despite this winter being much warmer than the last, I am still noticing a difference!

(BTW, yes, it will get below freezing there, just not as often as where you're at)

Old 02-27-2012, 05:55 PM

471 posts, read 868,157 times
I'd say that the biggest difference between Metro Atlanta vs Middle GA climate wise is the humidity. Our 1050' elevation AMSL here in the Atlanta metro, retards the humidity. Of course, there is the usual 3-5 degree difference in temperature at any given time.

One other key difference is you go from a yearly average of 2" of snow (this year notwithstanding), to a case when you may see snow or freezing precip once every five to ten years. Macon is right on the "snow line" where you go from yearly snow to the once every five to ten year snowfall.

Old 02-27-2012, 05:56 PM

1,191 posts, read 1,676,084 times
I concur with Wandering Import and GRS. My experience is that Middle GA is usually about 5 degrees warmer than Atlanta for high temperatures. Low temps are usually similar (heat island effect in Atlanta and all). Perry will have plenty of nights in the winter below freezing. The difference regarding freezing weather is that in the eight years I have lived here, I have yet to experience a daytime high below freezing in Middle GA. There have been a few around 33-36 for a high, but never below freezing all day. In Atlanta and points north, below freezing all day long and not getting out of the 20s can happen on occassion, not often, but it happens. Perry is definitely 135 miles north of the FL line anyway you slice it so don't discard your winter coat! It has snowed twice (2010 and 2011) and we have had one ice storm (2005) since I moved here in 2003. Atlanta usually gets at least a dusting once or twice a winter (except this year)

The summer humidity in Middle GA is worse than Atlanta and with the 4-5 degree bump in temperatures, it can feel much hotter here, but it is still nowhere near the humidity of the islands on the coast. Sea breeze be damned, an August afternoon in Brunswick is just brutal!

That being said, I suppose it is a wash as far as year-long comfort is averaged together.

Old 02-27-2012, 06:33 PM

876 posts, read 2,009,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreSunshine View Post
I've heard nice things about Perry. I would like to retire where it is a bit warmer. The weather sites I have looked at seem to show that it rarely gets down to freezing temperatures in Perry. Is this true? I don't know the location of the weather stations there.

There are micro-climates in the Atlanta area. I am east of Stone Mountain, which is a few degrees colder than just a few miles west, in town. So, am very interested in knowing actual reports of Perry winters.

If folks in Perry could post winter weather reports, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks very much.
In Middle Georgia, Macon has a bit warmer weather and more humid temps than metro Atlanta. Perry is a bit south of Macon. There are freezing temps there from time to time in the winter, milder cold snaps, than Atlanta, but still it can get freezing. 5 degree temp difference between the two areas sounds about right. The occasional winter time freezing temps can go down to the panhandle of Florida.

Old 02-28-2012, 09:54 AM

2 posts, read 3,462 times
Thank you all very much. I'll have to decide if warmer daytime temps in the winter, but not necessarily night-time temps is worth hotter, more humid summers.

(The snowbirds might be right. North Georgia in the summer and way far south in the winter.)

Thanks again for your help. I think I'll have to visit Perry a few times and test the weather.

Old 02-28-2013, 01:31 AM

1,034 posts, read 1,099,697 times
Sorry I know this thread is over a year old but this is of great interest to me. I use to live in South Ga (Valdosta) and Perry was about 5 degrees cooler than us in the winter. Atlanta can sometimes be 30 degrees colder but middle ga is much lower in elevation... I think Macon is just 400-500 ft and perry is a little further south than macon. Perry is a great little town though. Depending on what you like,it is more conservative than macon or Atlanta but that could also be a plus.. The weather has always fascinated me between middle Ga region and North ga. It's a totally different climate. In the summer way more humidity too. Once you get further south towards Valdosta and the Fl state line the elevation flattens out to about 100ft above sea level and in the summer its so HUMID but Perry and Macon are not as bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia