U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 12:35 PM

602 posts, read 1,803,744 times

Advertisements

Albany is probably one of the worst places I have ever lived in, and I spent a year in SE Asia.

The poster above may have phrased things inelegantly, but I have noticed the same "We-hate-you-because-you're-white" attitude all over town. It's not EVERY African-American person, and nobody here has said that it is. But it's a definite, noticeable, strong trend.

The public schools here are not worth mentioning, and the private ones--who know they're the only option for anyone who doesn't own stock in Kevlar--aren't that great either, especially when you consider their tuition pricetags.

I am hoping and praying to get out of this fifth-rate backwater ASAP. If you have a choice, DON'T COME HERE.

Old 01-26-2008, 12:11 AM

7 posts, read 50,883 times
Alright, this is coming from someone who lived in Albany for seventeen years, moved to Atlanta for ten, then moved back. You could mention a lot of things about most cities that aren't good or great. Personally, I choose to focus on things that are generally "fixable", if you will. What I mean by that is that you can't legislate racial relations. Can you pass laws? Yes, but and in time, those laws will LIKELY help the issue. MLK said "It may be true that the law cannot make a man love me, but it can keep him from lynching me, and I think that's pretty important." Those laws have been passed. Racism will (likely) decline in time but it will have to come through the changing of hearts and minds. Jews are still attacked in the Middle East. There is still black-on-black genocide in Africa. Don't fool yourself. Racism is one of the toughest problems for any culture to overcome.

Now, as for Albany. The problems with Albany generally aren't black or white related. Fact: students at Albany High School know better than to say certain words like "worm" and "doughnut" because those words are now "gang" words and there could be severe consequences should a gang member hear you say them despite whatever context they're used in. That's sad and pathetic, but you can't legislate against it. Fact: this very week (today is 1/26/08) students at Albany High were on lock-down because (yet another) kid brought a gun to school. These things are pathetic, but it starts and perpetuates in the home. And if you think Albany is worse or better than some places because of it, you would be correct no matter what side you take. It isn't as if NYC, LA, or Las Vegas are exactly meccas of love, peace, and harmony. Things are bad all over the place. Prior to the shootings, I imagine Columbine had either a good reputation or had simply never been heard of.

So, some of the things you should consider about a town then are things that CAN be effectively changed through government. If you really want to know what's going on in the minds of the Albany city government, do yourself a favor and listen to a show on the local AM radio station there (AM 1590) called "Wake Up, Albany". The show airs from 7a-11a M-F and can be streamed here: 1590 WALG. You will soon see that a vast majority of the problems with Albany come from the inactive and unprogressive mindset of the elected officials. You see, Albany doesn't just happen to not be near Interstate 75. The offer (and all the commerce that comes with it) was made long ago. The city officials at the time simply declined it. That mindset continues to this day.

Other facts (verifiable by the local paper Albany Herald)
During (at least) one year, the only two events that sold out the Albany Civic center were two Jehovah's Witnesses conventions. While I'm at least glad that they were able to do that, the fact is, the managers of the facility or very, very poor promoters of anything. The end result, big name entertainers pass the city up. This has happened more than once.

If you want to eat a lot, Albany has and will likely sadly continue to have many, many restaurants to choose from. But that's about it. As for the Riverquarium, I'll grant that its alright to visit maybe once, but after that, its the same thing. More to the point, its almost exclusively freshwater animals on display. That's great if it weren't for the fact that you could pretty much just walk to the river right behind the place and see much of the same thing but at no charge.

Olive Garden is alleged to have said about Albany "we wouldn't put a restaurant there if Albany gave us the land". This came about when there was much speculation about what was going to be built in the lot next to Steak n' Shake. Maybe it's true, maybe not. What is true is that there is still no Olive Garden here in this "metropolitan" city and only as of the end of '07 did Albany get a Chili's.

Albany has (surprisingly) two Starbuck's but both are located on hospital properties.

My take on it? I'm here but I moved back with no pretense of having any semblance of a social life and to finish school and get out. The one formerly decent public high school here (Westover) now has a problem with gangs. 10 years ago, they were essentially concentrated to Dougherty and Monroe Highschools though I'm sure there were some at Albany High. The point is that they were nowhere near such a dominant force in any other schools.

Old 01-26-2008, 10:29 AM

1,072 posts, read 1,660,953 times
Albany is basically a smaller version of Disgusta
just call it Algusta.

Old 01-27-2008, 05:38 PM

8 posts, read 28,236 times
Default Albany

I lived in Albany back in the early 80's and at that time it was like moving into the worst part of the '60's. It may have changed some. I grew up in a small Southern town so that was not my problem there. I loved my job at the hospital and I liked the weather. I later moved to Asheville, NC for awhile so it was a drastic, drastic move up. The Marine base was THE job center at that time. I doubt that has changed much.

Old 02-06-2008, 11:48 AM

6 posts, read 42,010 times
Default yes, it's really that bad.

I am a middle aged white woman from North Carolina. I have lived in Albany a number of years and my eleven year old son was born at Phoebe Putney Hospital. If it were not for my husband's job and my daughter and grand daughter being here in this area, we would move away.

The White people try very hard to realize that we are the minority here. The black people are in a constant state of Hatred and treat the whites with indignation and hatred openly. You can go into any business in this town, including the schools and be treated like crap by the African Americans. They are rude, uneducated, loud and prejudiced. They deliberately drive too fast, try to cause problems and generally cause a riot atmosphere here.

My son was in the Radium Springs School for a short time. The principal of the school is a black woman, and when I introduced myself to her and offered my hand; she would not even shake my hand. That is pure RUDE. The black people here are also never on time for work, drive like maniacs, openly sell drugs, lie in court and are bolstered by the fact that there are more of them here than the whites.

The black children do not do as well in the standardized tests and that puts our school system in a very bad light. The teachers are sometimes not even properly qualified to teach. There is also open racism in the school system and it is not punished or handled properly. Blacks also sell drugs openly, drink openly and disobey the laws of the USA. They live on welfare and food stamps and drive fancy cars and wear brand new clothes while the white people pay their taxes and support these people.

Nearly all of the businesses are closing down, there is not enough housing and there is very little to do here for entertainment. The flint Riverquarium is a joke! I have taken my children there and it was nasty. No one wants to see catfish from the Flint River. We eat them all of the time. The only decent businesses here are the eating places and the Wal Mart. There is nothing whatsoever to offer anyone to come here from another place to live.

The climate here is awful too. Too hot in the Summer, and not enough cold in the winter. There are also mold spores floating around from the floods. Many of the buildings here were flooded and nothing has been done to correct that situation. When people with allergies move into these places, they become very sick from the mold. There is a horrible problem with illegal immigrants and illnesses here. The health department is a joke and there is nothing good to say about this community. Do not waste your time coming here.

ALBANY SUCKS BIG TIME. I hate it here.

Old 02-07-2008, 03:09 PM

1 posts, read 17,301 times
Default Albany, GA should be renamed Pheobe Putney Memorial Hospital, GA

I was born and raised in Dougherty County and it is sad to see Albany at a stand still. In case you did not know, Albany, Georgia is a huge plantation and there are three or four families who practically owns Albany. They continually stop anything that will promote growth and change. Business owners and corporations refuse to come here because of extreme high cost of health care. All the business and/or corporations that have been in Albany, GA has not change nor improve growth but everywhere I look I see Pheobe Putney Hospital adding on or has several clinics in and around southwest Georgia. I am not hating that Pheobe Putney has expanded but I am angry at the fact that Pheobe blocked Palmyra Hospital from getting a maternity ward. I guess Pheobe Putney Hospital has top priority, after all it is founded by one of the families who do not want to see change for Dougherty County. (The Putney's) Also, you have Leesburg, GA stealing Dougherty County revenue and gaining momentum everyday. Something is seriously wrong. Wake UP Dougherty County!!!!!!!!! I am out of here!

Old 02-07-2008, 06:51 PM

104 posts, read 416,181 times
My mom and my aunt both work as RN's at Phobe Putny Memorial hospital, and they both drive about an hour from Thomasville and Camillia, to get to work because the hospital pays really good in the "ER"! But they would not live there for anything, not even the great pay, my mom is thinking of taking an almost $10 an hour pay cut so she dont have to A) move to Albany, or B) drive that far every day.
So I would have to say, yeah...its that bad.

Old 02-08-2008, 05:34 AM

Lizizmorefun nailed it. I have never seen such open, blatant hatred and racism in my life--and it is directed at whites. Rudeness, unprovoked antagonism and nastiness pretty much are the coins of the realm here. Ignorance, incompetence and outright refusal to do anything (but lie back and claim a check every month) are all considered valid lifestyle choices here, apparently. I refuse to believe that this is an integral part of African-American psychology; rather, I think it's an attitude encouraged by local/regional leadership. (Make that "leadership".)

Yes, Albany REALLY is that bad. This is less a city than a giant factory that produces illiteracy and incompetence.

Old 02-08-2008, 08:14 PM

5 posts, read 45,629 times
If you believe all of the negative things you've said are true of all the blacks in albany and none of the whites in Albany, that's your first problem. If you realize there are good people of all races you have a chance for a little happiness. If you'd like to know where some of those black students are who excel on standardized tests, try visiting Lake Park Elementary, Merry Acres Exel Middle, and Westover High School. In there are a few National Merit Scholarship finalists at Westover who just happen to be black. They also happen to have white friends. They get along because they choose to focus on the things they have in common and not the superficial things like color that make them different. I am sorry you have had a bad experience with blacks. The rude behaviors you mentioned belie the African American race. As you don't plan to move soon, find your optimism, and be receptive when you meet that black person who is not full of hatred. Let me know if I can help.

Old 02-09-2008, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mov08 View Post
If you believe all of the negative things you've said are true of all the blacks in albany and none of the whites in Albany, that's your first problem. If you realize there are good people of all races you have a chance for a little happiness. If you'd like to know where some of those black students are who excel on standardized tests, try visiting Lake Park Elementary, Merry Acres Exel Middle, and Westover High School. In there are a few National Merit Scholarship finalists at Westover who just happen to be black. They also happen to have white friends. They get along because they choose to focus on the things they have in common and not the superficial things like color that make them different. I am sorry you have had a bad experience with blacks. The rude behaviors you mentioned belie the African American race. As you don't plan to move soon, find your optimism, and be receptive when you meet that black person who is not full of hatred. Let me know if I can help.
You know what, Mov08? I HAVE met a few black people here who are NOT racist and hateful, and I have noted that in various other posts. Nowhere have I said that EVERY black person in Albany hates every white person, and I have encountered quite a few rude white people here as well, as recently as yesterday at Cromartie's. My POINT, which I have made more than once, is that it is a noticeable trend,obvious and hard to miss, and that it is very clearly directed by blacks at whites. The hateful white people I've seen weren't rude to blacks; they were rude to other whites.

We moved here from north Alabama, Huntsville to be exact, and there I had nothing but good experiences working with physicists, engineers and other professionals who happened to be black. Don't assume you're educating me about "good people from all races", because I know that already. That fact does not mitigate the equally apparent truth that most of Albany has serious race-related attitude problems. Period. As for not planning to move soon, think again. We're looking eagerly for a means out of this snakepit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or