U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 06:00 PM

840 posts, read 693,530 times

Advertisements

I feel alone in Ga lol...he is polling at 5% here ugh! I hate my state sometimes...Love the south but they just don't love freedom and liberty...anywho...anyone else here? If so where ya at?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2012, 07:06 PM

4,637 posts, read 7,826,920 times
There are signs out in Meriwether and Harris counties (mid/western GA). I supported and mode donations to him last time, but am reserved this time because he stands even less chance of making it. Like all politicians, he represents some things I like (hello, can the country run on a budget like my family has to!!), and some things I don't like. I see Paul is the lesser of all evils, but as you pointed out, that's an overwhelming minority.

*shrug*

It'll get worse, and probably LOTS worse, before it gets better. I can't do anything but try to protect/insulate my family as best I can.

Old 03-06-2012, 12:04 PM

1,988 posts, read 4,760,328 times
You're not alone. We are just far and few between.
I know it was probably a 'waste', but at least a year from now I can either say "well I didn't vote for him in the primaries." or "well I didn't vote for him at all." (depending on who wins in Nov)

Old 03-06-2012, 01:24 PM

7,861 posts, read 15,205,908 times
Paul represents some of my libertarian leanings on social and domestic policy. Where he goes off the deep end and loses me are his views on foreign policy and his proven ties to Nazis. He's and Dennis Kucinich are two sides of the same nutty coin.

Old 03-07-2012, 12:35 AM

7,765 posts, read 3,550,822 times
Voted for Paul today but yes sadly we are a minority.

But we are the future.

He wins the youth vote nearly everywhere.

Old 03-07-2012, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
He wins the youth vote nearly everywhere.
At the risk of sounding a bit condescending, which is not my intent, I would posit the suggestion that the youth are well meaning but naive. Just because a candidate is supported by the "youth vote" doesn't mean they are supporting policies that are best for the country. In fact, many times it's exactly the opposite.

Youth are often idealists and have not reached a point in their life where they have to consider the realities that will hit them as they mature. That was certainly true for me.

Old 03-07-2012, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
At the risk of sounding a bit condescending, which is not my intent, I would posit the suggestion that the youth are well meaning but naive. Just because a candidate is supported by the "youth vote" doesn't mean they are supporting policies that are best for the country. In fact, many times it's exactly the opposite.

Youth are often idealists and have not reached a point in their life where they have to consider the realities that will hit them as they mature. That was certainly true for me.
And I would disagree and suggest that we need more of a libertarian philosophy on the social issues and we need to stop being the world's police. We are broke and simply do not have the money to do so any longer.

What is not the best for the country is to continue accumulating debt at the rate we are. Paul is the only candidate who is for serious cuts to balance the budget.

Old 03-07-2012, 06:52 PM

1,474 posts, read 3,166,499 times
Don't know if he will do it or not, but he will have the right to say I TOLD YOU SO when this train runs totally out of juice or even comes off the track. Seems to be around 10 of us in the state.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:33 AM

Quote:
And I would disagree and suggest that we need more of a libertarian philosophy on the social issues
And I do have those libertarian beliefs about social issues as I mentioned.

Quote:
and we need to stop being the world's police. We are broke and simply do not have the money to do so any longer.
That's where the well meaning but naive comes in. Let's do as Dennis Kucinich wanted and create a cabinet level "Department of Peace"....right?

Threats are out there whether we choose to face them or prefer to ignore them. The same was true before World War II and before 9/11. We saw the impact of ignoring threats in both cases.

Isolationism and burying our heads in the sand didn't work in the 1930s and has never worked. We won the cold war because we faced the threat and didn't back down. That costs money and commitment, just as fixing the fiscal situation requires commitment.

Quote:
What is not the best for the country is to continue accumulating debt at the rate we are. Paul is the only candidate who is for serious cuts to balance the budget.
I totally agree that we need to stop spending like drunken sailors and address the short term fiscal deficit and the long term debt. I have some disagreement with Ron Paul on his vision for how to get there and his view of the world economy, but I totally agree that the fiscal path we're on is unsustainable and the Democrats have come very close to bankrupting the country.

Old 03-08-2012, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Isolationism and burying our heads in the sand didn't work in the 1930s and has never worked.
This is where I would argue that your naivete comes in. Isolationism is not the same thing as saying we are going to stop being the world's police.

There are plenty of other countries that do not act as the world's police but are not isolated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia