U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 02:25 PM

Location: Halfway between Number 4 Privet Drive and Forks, WA
1,516 posts, read 4,286,686 times

Advertisements

What are people's thoughts about Forsyth, GA (Monroe County)?
Any advice or opinions on the schools? (Hubbard Elementary & Mary Persons High)?
What about grocery stores/restaurants/etc...?
I already know about shopping (need to go to Macon or Atlanta, LOL)
We are looking into this area or Locust Grove/McDonough area to relocate...
Please share any thoughts or opinions...

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2007, 04:07 PM

511 posts, read 2,321,637 times
I would suggest the Locust Grove/McDonough area over Forsyth, Georgia.
Forsyth, Georgia is great, but a huge percent of the population depends alot on Macon, especially when its comes to education. Howard Middle school is located in Macon, Georgia but about 30-40% of the student population is from Monroe County, and the Bibb County government just broke land on a high school on the same site which could also recieve about 30-40% of Forsyth County's population.

Its has a small town feel, Forsyth is growing population wise, and beside shipping a fraction of there populatin to Macon, the education is great. On the otherhand Locust Grove/McDonough have great schools, a huge percent of jobs are in factories, and distritbution centers. It is in the Atlanta Metro Area, and does recieve some of the bad traffic, but not alot. Henry County is one of the fastest growing counties in Georgia, and that is very evident in Locust Grove/McDonough.

Old 09-11-2007, 12:04 AM

177 posts, read 912,212 times
Leaving byron,

I think the choice between Mcdonough and Forsyth depends on what you're looking for.

To me, Mcdonough is great if you're a big shopper. And, more shopping is being added. My husband and I go there fairly frequently because of all the stores. Downtown Mcdonough is kind of cute with antique stores and a coffeeshop. There are also a number of restaurants in Mcdonough. To me, Mcdonough offers a lot of shopping but with it a lot of sprawl, traffic, etc. In fact, the downside of Mcdonough to me is that it reminds me of everything that I moved to Georgia to get away from (but that doesn't mean we don't make use of the shopping). IMHO traffic lights and things like that have NOT kept up with the development, though they are being added slowly. Frankly I don't know anything about the housing situation or schools.

Forsyth, on the otherhand has some rural type areas on the outskirts, both on the Macon side and on the Barnesville side. The downtown is cute. There is "Gritz" or "Grits" a restaurant which sort of alternates between interesting fare and wraps. Also there are a couple of antique stores in downtown Forsyth and a used bookstore (up above one of the antique stores). The area between Forsyth (past tiny Bolingbroke that has a fairly good resturant, I think it's called "Red Tomato" or something like that) and on to North Macon is a very nice and peaceful -- country road style trip -- most of the way IMHO pretty good shopping can be found in North Macon For us that is a very enjoyable drive. It is especially appealing when the apple blossoms are out. On the other side of Forsyth is the area between Forsyth and Barnesville. There are some nice farms and lots of horses, etc. along that road as well. The road to Barnesville from Forsyth is still very rural and will bring you into Johnstonville then into Barnesville. There is some sprawl on the interstate in Forsyth, but IMHO it's minimal compared with Mcdonough. I believe the state prison department is moving to Forsyth to a former woman's college campus.
Don't know much about Locust Grove, just that some people who don't care much for sprawl seem to be moving to more rural areas.

Others on this list could fill you in about Mcdonough housing and schools City-data usually has the crime stats.

Personally we chose living in a rural area and going into larges places (Macon and Mcdonough) for major shopping. We like low crime, low traffic and low housing prices.

Hope this helps,
zebbie

So,

Old 09-11-2007, 07:51 AM
GP2

81 posts, read 968,476 times
Mayor of Macon, once again your facts are downright lies.....
Monroe county has THE best schools in the midstate (read your very own Telegraph for that info) AND it is the wealthiest county in the midstate (also backed by the Telegraph)...Also, it had the most growth in the midstate from2005 to 2006 and still growing.
Tift College is being dubbed The South Capital because of all the state agencies that will be housed there.......36 active residential developments......its a great place.

And....Henry county is the 8th fastest growing county in the NATION.....the traffic is terrible and the crime is rising....and they are having some issues with their schools.......

Old 09-11-2007, 05:43 PM

511 posts, read 2,321,637 times
I didnt say the Monoroe County School system was bad, if you read back I said the "education is great", Monroe is the wealthiest and you must understand that a majority of the people work in Macon, or either commute to Atlanta. Also the Macon Telegraph has always been seen as a middle georgia paper and not just a Macon paper. The Forsyth government just seems disorganized, and with all this growth you talk about its going to be hard on them.

Moderator cut: Removed

Last edited by xxman777; 09-23-2007 at 12:04 PM.. Reason: Personal Attacks

Old 09-12-2007, 09:19 AM

Location: Halfway between Number 4 Privet Drive and Forks, WA
1,516 posts, read 4,286,686 times
I'm not afraid of rural, LOL! I live in Byron (near Powersville) so I hear roosters crowing in the morning and I can even hear the donkey that lives near the entrance of our subdivision when he gets into his hee-haw's...actually, I've grown quite fond of the sounds being in the country where we are...
I've heard good things about both school districts (Monroe & Henry county) but after doing a little research, it seems that Henry county schools are starting to decline a bit. At least that's the impression I got...

I'm definately not a big shopper, except I do need a Walmart and a decent grocery store or superwalmart to buy groceries, etc. I don't mind a trip to Macon or McDonough once in a while for other things...

With my husband working in Atlanta now (he drives to McDonough & catches the bus into the city) and my mom who lives in Macon (just recently found out she has cancer) I would like a good middle ground where we are closer to Atlanta but still close to Macon as I need to be near mom during this time, too....

Thanks for all your suggestions, I think I'll visit the Forsyth area and try to get a feel for the area. Have stopped thru there many times, but haven't gotten to explore the area yet...

Old 09-12-2007, 10:38 AM

177 posts, read 912,212 times
Leaving Byron,

Thanks for pointing out that Byron is a place! I didn't realize that. I'm disabled and don't drive anymore, so lots of times when my husband is driving us through various places, the names don't exactly "stick" with me, unless we've been there several times (code for sometimes I'm catching up on my z-z-z-s).

Maybe some of the people on the list from Forsyth or who live in Forsyth will chime in on some of the interesting or "good" places in and around Forsyth, so you can check them out on your visit.
BTW, I don't know if this would interest you or your husband but I have heard that there are vans that tote people into Atlanta for work from some of these more southernly towns, e.g., I know there is one or more that leaves from Griffin. I'm not sure if there are any near Forsyth or which town nearest to Forsyth would have such vans. Also, I don't know who is "allowed" to take them. I have talked to several State employees and one educational employee who take these vans daily from Griffin to Atlanta and back. These folks drive to Griffin and park and take a van from there.

Best of luck
zebbie

Old 09-13-2007, 07:07 AM
GP2

81 posts, read 968,476 times
Yes, there will be vans to Atlanta shortly...with the DOC coming to Tift College, alot of the folks are moving on down. Forsyth is bringing in the vans to help the commute. And trust me, the government is doing a fine job up there in handling the growth.

Moderator cut: Removed

Last edited by xxman777; 09-23-2007 at 12:05 PM.. Reason: Personal Attacks

Old 04-03-2008, 11:06 AM

15 posts, read 74,578 times
I too am cosidering a relocation to Monroe Co. from California. I need information on housing in and around the Forsyth area. My mother who is in her 70's and active is coming with me so small town is important for her continued mobility. I like the idea of a subdivision with at least 1 acre lots. Price range high 200's to mid 300's. I have a job prospect on the south end of Atlanta. Very important to get away from urban congestion yet want to keep conveniences close by i.e. shopping, movies, recreation, etc. Monroe County seems like a good fit... any suggestions are welcome.

Old 04-03-2008, 11:39 AM

9,124 posts, read 33,446,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vycee View Post
I too am cosidering a relocation to Monroe Co. from California. I need information on housing in and around the Forsyth area. My mother who is in her 70's and active is coming with me so small town is important for her continued mobility. I like the idea of a subdivision with at least 1 acre lots. Price range high 200's to mid 300's. I have a job prospect on the south end of Atlanta. Very important to get away from urban congestion yet want to keep conveniences close by i.e. shopping, movies, recreation, etc. Monroe County seems like a good fit... any suggestions are welcome.
You realize that you're talking about a commute of around 50 miles depending on where in Atlanta you're looking to work, right? And that commute can easily run 1.5 hours or more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or