Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2008, 03:13 PM

12 posts, read 33,499 times

Advertisements

we are tired of Mn cold weather want to move atlanta,ga.
is it true, they have much crime, bugs, snakes and much traffic time. my husband and myself both are hoping to get IT jobs, buy a house and settle there. pl give us idea which city is safe to move?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2008, 04:41 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,033,429 times
If you are in the IT field.. your only real choice is metro Atlanta.. A friend of mine just relocated to Atlanta from the SF Bay area for an IT job. You may be able to find something in amnother city.. but it would be a lot harder and your options would be extremely limited.
Columbus has the headquarters of AFLAC and Synovus, which are expanding employement.. so you mighty be able to find a job there.. if metro Atlanta is not your cup of tea.

Old 04-21-2008, 04:44 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,399,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitti View Post
is it true, they have much crime, bugs, snakes and much traffic time. my husband and myself both are hoping to get IT jobs, buy a house and settle there. pl give us idea which city is safe to move?

The answer to your questions are
Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes.

Snakes leave you alone if you leave them alone. Bugs, make sure you treat your home every quarter to keep the ear wigs out along with other critters like spiders etc., traffic and crime. Well, not much you can do beside be very alert and be patient with grid lock.

IT, as Dis states, this is a heavy IT location. There are 3 new locations in Duluth alone with IT employment opportunites in the last 6 months.

Old 04-21-2008, 06:30 PM
JLA

627 posts, read 2,186,334 times
TSYS, AFLAC, Blue Cross - Blue Shield of GA (Columbus) and Synovous tend to have numerous IT positions open. Also try Fort Benning. Stay away from any areas south of Columbus, Macon and Augusta line or the gnats will drive you crazy.

Old 04-24-2008, 07:47 AM

913 posts, read 2,984,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitti View Post
Columbus has a huge IT base of companies. If you want an IT job and don't want to move to Atlanta, Columbus is the only other city in Georgia that has a lot of IT companies.

Old 05-15-2008, 11:50 PM

1 posts, read 3,039 times
Default yes

is safe
and nice

Old 05-16-2008, 04:53 AM

1 posts, read 1,672 times
Atlanta is great and doesn't drop below 20 degrees above that often in the middle of winter.

Old 05-18-2008, 12:36 AM

41 posts, read 223,933 times
I am a native Atlantan and I have never thought snakes were a problem. Just kick them aside and go on about your business. As for bugs they can be dealt with and I have never thought them to be an overwhelming problem. Crime in Atlanta is a problem, but if you learn where not to go then you will be fine.

Where to live - Cobb County and more specifically "East Cobb". This will put you in close vicinity to most IT jobs in Atlanta. Cobb County has good schools. City of Atlanta schools are not so good.

About kicking the snakes aside - I was joking - some southerners tell northerners that to keep them from moving to Georgia. Snakes are not a big problem here.

Now come on down to Georgia and enjoy the warmer climate here!

Old 06-04-2008, 08:17 AM

20 posts, read 70,294 times
I also live in MN and have been thinking of moving to GA for several years. I have visited GA on more than one occasion and to be honest have yet to see a snake. (Which is one thing I am NOT a fan of.) I am wondering if you have moved and how you have adjusted.

Old 06-05-2008, 10:28 AM

1,576 posts, read 6,347,595 times
Regarding snakes, you may see them occasionally if you live out in a heavily wooded suburban or semi-rural area, but they are still rare. Moreover, the only poisonous snake that you would ever have to worry about in metro Atlanta is a copperhead, and I would say over 99% of all Atlantans live their whole life without seeing one. Even if you see one, the chance of a bite is miniscule. And even if you were that one in a million person bitten (far easier to die in a car accident here!!!), copperheads are the least poisonous snake in the U.S., so a healthy adult's recovery chances are essentially 100%.

Bugs? Yup, we got em. It's true anywhere you have lots of warm weather, trees, and sun.

Crime? Like any big city, it is pretty bad in some areas, and pretty mild in others. Choose your neighborhood accordingly.

Traffic? Atlanta is probably worse than many other big cities. But if you live close to where you work, you are eliminating the single biggest negative of living here. My commute is 6 miles (20 minutes) each way in rush hour and I don't have to get on the interstate. It's a non-issue for me, although it is the single biggest thing that people here complain about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia