Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2007, 12:05 PM

5 posts, read 16,369 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! My husband and I currently live in the panhandle of FL. We are looking to move to GA, sometime in 2008. Any advice on what towns we should look at? I work in a museum and am looking for a similar job in GA (specializing in historic clothing). We have no kids (maybe in 5 years); we do have animals that are coming with us. Family is in North Florida and Tennessee, so GA seems like a good fit if we want to avoid living in Alabama. My husband likes small town, I don’t mind a bigger town. Not sure if we are ready for Atlanta just yet. Are there nice towns outside ATL? We grew up near the beach, so that would be nice too but not a necessity. It also would be great to have a change in scenery….mountains would be nice, but again not a necessity. SNOW and more than 2 seasons would also be great! We really want an affordable 3-4 bedroom house with at least 2 acres of land for our dog to run around. We currently live in Tallahassee and would love to move to another historic town. Something southern, charming , and perfect for young educated professionals and families! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2007, 12:47 PM

7 posts, read 23,235 times
Jasper (Pickens County) GA, is a nice small town, still relatively affordable, particularly if you're looking for a couple of acres or more (the closer you get to Atlanta, the pricier acreage is). It's located at the start of the Blue Ridge Mountains, so has some elevations if that's what you're after, but still very accessible to Atlanta.

However, from your description, it sounds like Dahlonega may be a better fit. Also north of Atlanta (more to the east), Dahlonega is a larger city than Jasper, is home to North Georgia College, is more of a historic community, and offers more cultural opportunities. It has seen some growth in recent years, but if you live further out from town, shouldn't have a problem finding affordable living space.

Hope this helps!

Old 09-11-2007, 12:59 PM
GP2

81 posts, read 999,569 times
Iwould say Forsyth (Monroe County)....It`s right on I-75 and only about 45 minutes from Atlanta and you could take the interstate the other way and be at the beach in Savannah in just a few hours.....

Old 09-11-2007, 01:07 PM

214 posts, read 899,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curator08 View Post
Hello everyone! My husband and I currently live in the panhandle of FL. We are looking to move to GA, sometime in 2008. Any advice on what towns we should look at? I work in a museum and am looking for a similar job in GA (specializing in historic clothing). We have no kids (maybe in 5 years); we do have animals that are coming with us. Family is in North Florida and Tennessee, so GA seems like a good fit if we want to avoid living in Alabama. My husband likes small town, I don’t mind a bigger town. Not sure if we are ready for Atlanta just yet. Are there nice towns outside ATL? We grew up near the beach, so that would be nice too but not a necessity. It also would be great to have a change in scenery….mountains would be nice, but again not a necessity. SNOW and more than 2 seasons would also be great! We really want an affordable 3-4 bedroom house with at least 2 acres of land for our dog to run around. We currently live in Tallahassee and would love to move to another historic town. Something southern, charming , and perfect for young educated professionals and families! Thanks!
I live in Savannah, GA and it doesn't get anymore historical than this. We have great culture and charm and near the beach too. Savannah is not to big and is not to small which I like. Sure there are ups and downs to every area and Savannah is not all positive but is an incredible place with alot of upside. You would be able to find the 2 acres that you are looking far in the very fast growing suberbs of Savannah such as Pooler, Rincon or Richmond Hill. You really need to check it out, sounds like it could be a fit.

Old 09-11-2007, 02:11 PM

127 posts, read 747,871 times
We visited Athens this summer and fell in love. You should definitely see it before you make any decisions. The downtown is vibrant, and we liked all the greenery and it's proximity to nature. As a young couple, you would probably appreciate all the restaurants and culture. I think it's about an hour or so to Atlanta. FWIW, we were also charmed by Savannah, but I hear there is a lot of crime. Good luck.

Old 09-12-2007, 08:57 PM

81 posts, read 350,329 times
Athens is 1+- hours from mountains, 5 to 6 hours from the beach, 1.5 hours from the big city of Atlanta and has something going on for everyone. Housing is pretty affordable, especialy if you don't mind a 20 minute commute from one of the adjoing small towns. My favorite pick for small towns near Athens right now is Comer, Ga in Madison County - they have a thriving artist community, coffe shop, Chinese Restaraunt and more in the quaint downtown area.

Old 09-16-2007, 08:24 PM

3,709 posts, read 4,626,526 times
[quote=curator08;1474323] I work in a museum and am looking for a similar job in GA (specializing in historic clothing)./QUOTE]

With your specialized job, I would definitely recommend that you find your job before deciding on your final destination. My bets would be on Savannah if you are not going to ATL metro area. Savannah has a way of casting a spell as you tour the squares that the original town was built around. There is crime, but that is handled the same way you handle it in Tallahassee. Avoid the wrong neighborhoods at the wrong times.

If you don't end up at a museum, SCAD (Savannah College of Art and Design) has such an unusual atmosphere, with buildings scattered throughout the historic district. And what buildings!!!!!!! How can one institution put together such a collection????? I am amazed and confounded.

You would just have to see for yourself.

Old 09-19-2007, 09:15 AM

483 posts, read 2,093,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curator08 View Post
Hello everyone! My husband and I currently live in the panhandle of FL. We are looking to move to GA, sometime in 2008. Any advice on what towns we should look at? I work in a museum and am looking for a similar job in GA (specializing in historic clothing).
I'm sure you realize that with such a narrow specialization as that, the only way you're going to find something is through personal contacts and referrals. Better start with who you know, and who they know.... etc. and get an offer before deciding where to live. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems to me that, outside of DC and NYC, jobs such as yours aren't very plentiful - you'll be waiting for somebody to die or retire.

Old 09-19-2007, 03:32 PM

9 posts, read 27,302 times
Default Hello, Contact me, I just moved out of Augusta

Hello,

My name is Jenni. Augusta would be exactly what you are looking for. It is the 2nd largest city in Georgia, but not as crowded or snooty as Atlanta. It is inexpensive, southern charm, cozy, and I just happen to have a house for sale in North Augusta as well right now. I lived there for 26 years and just relocated to Tampa, Florida with my fiance's job. I could help you find good jobs and get you stats on anywhere within 20 miles of Augusta. Please email me at page.jennifer@hotmail.com, I have lots of time on my hand and would love to help out newlyweds, especially since we are getting married in 3 weeks.

Jenni

Old 11-19-2007, 02:25 PM

18 posts, read 59,474 times
If you like Athens, I would suggest moving there. Obviously, it's a college town, but because of this Athens is a vibrant, exciting place to live. I haven't been any where else in the state that has as much culture as Athens. The city is very strict regarding building permits and how new construction is done, but there are a lot of historical type neighborhoods with affordable homes. I spent seven years there and miss it now that I'm in Atlanta. There's always something to do downtown, as Athens has done a great job with the restuarants, venues, shopping, etc. And of course, there are 284 licensed bars to choose from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia