U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 06:14 AM

14 posts, read 34,810 times

Advertisements

Describe in your opinion and why what is your ideal city / county in North Georgia but not Cobb or Fulton County.

Medium to small medium town feel but not rural
Excellent School system and Employment not required but probably helps to build on better community qualities.
Good fire protection and emergency services
Good area for older persons (mid 50 - late 60's) for retirement
Good and close by quality health facilities (not just a triage or hold until they can get you to a good hospital)
Very good, well maintained city/county services, i.e. roadways, etc
Good code enforcement and housing standards enforced
Not massive traffic flow areas or issues (as in metro Atlanta)
Easily access to major roadway for traveling
An area with low crime
Not an area prone to major weather issues (though hard to predict I know)
Nice and good selection/variety grocery stores
An area with nice newer housing subdivisions

Again not desiring major metro areas or counties (again medium type community but not desiring rural area or housing area in rural/woods away from community)

All community ideas with their attributes and qualities are welcomed.....

Thanks in advance

Last edited by SWGA; 03-21-2012 at 06:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2012, 07:08 AM

2,117 posts, read 5,497,642 times
I would have to say that there isn't anywhere in north ga that would rank highly on any of the items on your list except for one: "an area with nice newer housing subdivisions"

There is no shortage of subdivisions anywhere in the state or in the entire southeast region. Subdivisions have become the evidence of a larger problem (lack of planning and growth management), particularly when there are endless subdivisions built in areas that don't have any of the criteria you're looking for and there's already an oversupply of housing that people can't sell.

Some of the biggest challenges on your list are the criteria relating to employment, good schools and severe weather.

However if you're looking for a place to a retire, some of our mountain communities are popular amongst retirees.... It just that you can forget about the whole jobs and infrastructure thing and if last year is any idea of what can happen, the mountain towns were hit by multiple very serious destructive tornados.

Old 03-21-2012, 07:10 AM

whole jobs and infrastructure thing

Job portion, not an issue but infrastructure would be a nice plus.

So based on the "desired" you would recommend?

Old 03-21-2012, 07:17 AM

9,186 posts, read 17,870,946 times
I would look in Northern Forsyth, Cherokee, Gwinnett Counties. (in that order).

Old 03-21-2012, 08:29 AM

9,124 posts, read 33,304,284 times
We're in Cherokee County, and it fits your requirements well. Great schools, small towns, plenty of new housing, access to 575 and 75 for travel, plenty of medical facilities (and a replacement Northside Cherokee Hospital breaking ground in the next year). There are rural parts, but there's also areas with some density, so you're likely to find whatever you're looking for. The "severe weather" is hard to predict, as you said, but we generally only have 1 or 2 storms per year that result in a tornado warning, and they're generally not storms that are large enough to cause major damage. The majority of the damage we see is related to large trees falling on houses, so if you select a home in a newer subdivision, you can at least avoid that issue by picking a lot that doesn't have large trees near the house.

Old 03-21-2012, 10:23 AM

Default Cherokee County response

Thanks Bob.

Better around Woodstock , Holly Springs or Canton? What area best in Cherokee?

Know anything about Jasper County?

Old 03-21-2012, 11:43 AM

We're in Holly Springs, which is the smallest of the three towns, with a population of just under 10,000- the other two are just over 20,000. Holly Springs is a pretty laid back area, and our section feeds into Sequoyah HS, which is an excellent school. There's not much of a downtown at the moment (but there's one in the works if the economy ever improves), but we're close enough to downtown Woodstock if the need to walk and shop arises. We've got plenty of shopping nearby, including a Kroger and a Publix, and a huge shopping center just up the road in Canton. There's also a new aquatics center being built that will attract some surrounding development.

Canton is a bit blah to me- there's some great older homes on Main Street, but downtown is stuck in the 60's for the most part, and there's still a large immigrant population there (can't say they're illegal, but you can make your own determination on that).

Woodstock's downtown is great, and the Towne Lake area offers tons of home options and shopping, so I don't know that you can really go wrong there.

You may be confusing Jasper County (which is lies quite a bit East-Southeast from the Atlanta metro) with the town of Jasper, which is just north of Cherokee County up 575. I don't know anything about Jasper County other than that it's a ways out, but the town of Jasper is probably a bit more rural than you're looking for.

Old 03-21-2012, 12:07 PM

My error. Correct, Jasper, Georgia - Pickens County.

I had someone talk highly of Canton and another not so good. One person was saying get up on the north end of Cherokee County or around Waleska, GA.

A friend of our lives in Forsyth County and loves it and he also recommended Dawson County. We did like Dahlonega, GA but it was little remote also.

I don't care for Gwinnett or Hall Counties either.

We are visiting different areas to determine our likes and dislikes.

Our Retirement will be in two years and looking for a laid back, non congested area with medical and other services without traffic and "issues" of Atlanta and other metro areas.

Old 03-21-2012, 12:52 PM

Remember- there's the City of Canton proper, which is fairly small, and there are unincorporated parts of Cherokee County that have a Canton zip code, so they're referred to as "Canton" while not being part of the city itself. The same thing occurs with Woodstock. There are great parts of the county with Canton zips (including all of Holly Springs, which has a Canton zip because the Holly Springs post office is a PO box only facility- no delivery)- the city itself is more blah.

Waleska, Ballground and Nelson are the other incorporated cities in the county, and they're all pretty small- they may be a bit too rural for you, but they're worth a look.

Old 03-21-2012, 06:26 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,497,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWGA View Post
whole jobs and infrastructure thing

Job portion, not an issue but infrastructure would be a nice plus.

So based on the "desired" you would recommend?
If that was directed at me, like I said, based on your criteria, I can't think of a single place. Metro atlanta is a rat race. And if you find a place like cherokee county, that isn't a rat race now, give 5 years. It will be. I really can't think of anywhere in the state that I personally, would like to retire to except for some of the mountain towns but I supposed as I get older, things like easy access to good medical centers and things of that nature would be important. I also probably would favor warm weather and warm winters over my current feelings which are that this place is too dang hot. Windy mountain roads just seem like a bad idea for many older drivers as well. Not to broadbrush older drivers but in Florida, where I used to live, they were forever crashing through guard rails and driving their cars into canals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia