Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 08:50 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,966,786 times

Advertisements

Georgia saw the greatest increase between 2000 and 2011, with the number of illegal immigrants there increasing by 95 percent to 440,000.

This is a huge increase. Could it be just a reporting issue, or did the population increase so in such a short time? If so, why Georgia? What's the draw?

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/24/us...nt&tntemail1=y

Old 03-24-2012, 04:52 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,078,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Georgia saw the greatest increase between 2000 and 2011, with the number of illegal immigrants there increasing by 95 percent to 440,000.

This is a huge increase. Could it be just a reporting issue, or did the population increase so in such a short time? If so, why Georgia? What's the draw?

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/24/us...nt&tntemail1=y
Maybe the exploding real estate and construction markets in the first part of the decade created a need for a lot of unskilled workers?

Old 03-24-2012, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Maybe the exploding real estate and construction markets in the first part of the decade created a need for a lot of unskilled workers?
And are you implying that Georgia was blessed with this boom to the exclusion of the surrounding states? It could be. It could be that Georgia just had a lot more land to be built upon. I don't know if this was the case.
Does anyone?

Old 03-24-2012, 06:36 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,078,419 times
Quote:
And are you implying that Georgia was blessed with this boom to the exclusion of the surrounding states? It could be. It could be that Georgia just had a lot more land to be built upon. I don't know if this was the case.
Does anyone?
The Atlanta metro was adding 100,000 residents a YEAR in the 1990's and the early 2000's.

How does that compare to surrounding metros?

I'm just speculating based on the number of hispanic construction and landscape workers I've seen in this metro.

I also recall a lot of farmers in the central and southern parts of the state claiming that the lack of illegal workers would be a huge problem for them. I suspect many of them were working on those farms. That may even account for more than the Atlanta metro.

Just pure speculation on my part.

Last edited by rcsteiner; 03-24-2012 at 06:59 PM..

Old 03-26-2012, 09:41 AM

Thanks. Makes sense.

Old 03-27-2012, 04:04 PM

2,399 posts, read 4,215,952 times
Unfortunately, every other Juan, Diego, and Carlos from south of the border decided to move here during the height of growth. Why? They pretty much pushed out all Americans in the construction and complementary fields and held almost every position in the building of every structure. I doubt the increase was 440,000 due to taking construction jobs, as hispanics are known for their extremely high birthrates, but it was very high nonetheless.

As the economy has soured, I'd say that HALF of those illegal hispanics have moved away from Georgia. I'll also contend that as the economy is still not in recovery, you'll see more and more leave. With the immigration law, some may also leave as well. In my opinion, we'll see the number of hispanics decrease down to 1/4 the level of the highest hispanic population seen in Georgia, minimum. That is, if the economy doesn't bounce back soon.

There are some good things that come out of economic downturns, like sending law breaking illegals home.

Old 03-27-2012, 05:54 PM

2,118 posts, read 6,373,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
They pretty much pushed out all Americans in the construction and complementary fields and held almost every position in the building of every structure.
They didn't do any such thing. Try blaming their employer for illegally hiring them at slave wages and not witholding taxes. It takes two to tango.

Quote:
hispanics are known for their extremely high birthrates,
Stereotype much?

Quote:
In my opinion, we'll see the number of hispanics decrease down to 1/4 the level of the highest hispanic population seen in Georgia, minimum. That is, if the economy doesn't bounce back soon.
You seem pretty certain all the "eee-leeguls" are hispanic.

Quote:
There are some good things that come out of economic downturns, like sending law breaking illegals home.
How about we send their greedy employers to prison next? I'm all for doing that.

Old 03-28-2012, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post
They didn't do any such thing. Try blaming their employer for illegally hiring them at slave wages and not witholding taxes. It takes two to tango.

Stereotype much?

You seem pretty certain all the "eee-leeguls" are hispanic.

How about we send their greedy employers to prison next? I'm all for doing that.
Well, I think we all agree that they contribute to the poor economy. The tax dollars we pay for public services: schools and hospitals, get eaten up. Hospitals have closed because they cannot afford to treat them, yet they must by government mandate.

They drive salaries down because Americans would do the jobs they do for a decent wage. Many middle class blacks have been squeezed out of the construction industry because of illegals.

No, they are not all from Latin America, but most are. All should be dealt with, though.

Yes, employers should face stiff penalties for hiring them. It's not as though they don't have a means to check.

Both parties have been in favor of another 'path to citizenship'. Reagan said that was the biggest mistake he ever made.

I'm surprised that Obama did not include them in his health care plan. I guess they'll attach an addendum to the bill later. Ugh!

Look, most Latinos, Mexicans usually, whom I have met have been lovely people. It's just that we cannot support the poor of the world with such a bad economy. It's the harsh economic reality of life.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:53 AM

2,118 posts, read 6,373,965 times
Quote:
Well, I think we all agree that they contribute to the poor economy.
A lot of people would say they contribute in a positive way to the economy. Afterall, they're buying stuff while they're here and paying sales tax on it. They're leaving more money in the pocket of the person/s that illegally hired them. More money for them to buy things like boats and expensive pickup trucks.

Quote:
They drive salaries down because Americans would do the jobs they do for a decent wage. Many middle class blacks have been squeezed out of the construction industry because of illegals.
I'd like to correct you on *part* of that. If anyone was out of a job because of of the illegal immigration, it's not from the eee-leeguls forcing people out of a job. It's because of illegal hiring, tax evasion, as well as substandard pay and working conditions. There's plenty of people offering jobs picking fruit in 90 degree heat for 10 hours a day for $5 an hour. They don't care what race or nationality you are, just as long as you're a good slave, don't give them any grief over the conditions and don't unionize.

Old 03-28-2012, 12:43 PM

5,616 posts, read 8,645,897 times
Quote:
Unfortunately, every other Juan, Diego, and Carlos from south of the border decided to move here during the height of growth. Why? They pretty much pushed out all Americans in the construction and complementary fields and held almost every position in the building of every structure. I doubt the increase was 440,000 due to taking construction jobs, as hispanics are known for their extremely high birthrates, but it was very high nonetheless.

As the economy has soured, I'd say that HALF of those illegal hispanics have moved away from Georgia. I'll also contend that as the economy is still not in recovery, you'll see more and more leave. With the immigration law, some may also leave as well. In my opinion, we'll see the number of hispanics decrease down to 1/4 the level of the highest hispanic population seen in Georgia, minimum. That is, if the economy doesn't bounce back soon.

Excellent post!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia