Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2012, 10:14 PM

14,727 posts, read 33,239,585 times

Advertisements

Why is it that Georgia has these cities named after strongholds in Ancient History? What immediately comes to mind is Athens, Rome and Augusta. If you know of others, add those to the list. Still, what's the reasoning for naming cities in a prior colony settled predominately by the English after cities in Italy and Greece?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2012, 11:18 PM

37,784 posts, read 41,446,143 times
Augusta?

Old 03-27-2012, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Augusta?
Augusta is a town in Sicily, right above Syracuse, a place of historical/archaelogical importance. My thinking is that it could also be some reference to Caesar Augustus. Who knows?

But both Rome and Athens is interesting.

Old 03-28-2012, 12:02 AM

37,784 posts, read 41,446,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Augusta is a town in Sicily, right above Syracuse, a place of historical/archaelogical importance. My thinking is that it could also be some reference to Caesar Augustus. Who knows?
"[Founder James] Oglethorpe named the town Augusta, in honor of Princess Augusta of Saxe-Gotha, the Princess of Wales, daughter-in-law of King George II of Great Britain and mother of King George III of Great Britain."

Augusta, Georgia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-28-2012, 12:41 PM

11,334 posts, read 25,968,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post

But both Rome and Athens is interesting.
Also from Wikipedia:

"Rome's name is a commemoration of the Italian city of Rome. Rome, Georgia, was built on seven hills with a river running between them, a feature that was an inspiration for the name. This connection is emphasized by a replica of the statue of Romulus and Remus nursing from a mother wolf, a symbol of the original Rome, which was a 1929 gift from Italian dictator Benito Mussolini."

Source: Rome, Georgia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"On January 27, 1785, the Georgia General Assembly granted a charter by Abraham Baldwin for the University of Georgia as the first state-supported university. Sixteen years later, in 1801, a committee from the university's board of trustees selected a site for the university on a hill above Cedar Shoals in what was then Jackson County. On July 25, John Milledge, one of the trustees and later governor of Georgia, bought 633 acres (2.6 km²) from Daniel Easley and donated it to the university. Milledge named the surrounding area Athens after the city that was home to the academy of Plato and Aristotle in Greece."

Source: Athens, Georgia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-28-2012, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Milledge named the surrounding area Athens
Thank you.

Will they be renaming it Basinger? I thought she "owned" the town.

Old 03-28-2012, 02:06 PM

23,298 posts, read 43,744,365 times
Brunswick was named after the duchy of Brunswick-Luneberg in southern Germany.

Old 04-01-2012, 02:00 PM

197 posts, read 513,664 times
I also read somewhere that Atlanta was originally named Atlantis after the lost city/continent, but due to a clerical error it got changed to Atlanta and just stayed that way. I don't know if that it is true because there are several other stories of the origin of the name Atlanta, but nobody seems to know for sure which story is the factual one. But, given the names of some of the other cities in Georgia it wouldn't surprise me if Atlanta was originally named after Atlantis.

Old 04-01-2012, 04:35 PM

120 posts, read 226,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamKeeper View Post
I also read somewhere that Atlanta was originally named Atlantis after the lost city/continent, but due to a clerical error it got changed to Atlanta and just stayed that way. I don't know if that it is true because there are several other stories of the origin of the name Atlanta, but nobody seems to know for sure which story is the factual one. But, given the names of some of the other cities in Georgia it wouldn't surprise me if Atlanta was originally named after Atlantis.
I thought the city was named for former Governor Wilson Lumpkin's daughter's. Her middle name was Atalanta, after the fleet-footed goddess. Though I also heard that In 1845 the name "Atlantica-Pacifica" was suggested to replace "Marthasville" by John Thomson, chief engineer of the Georgia Railroad. The name was shortened to Atlanta and adopted that year, but I've never heard the Atlantis theory. Here are some others with similar names don't know if they are name after or just have common names
Athens - Athens, Greece / Bristol - Bristol, UK / Dover - Dover, UK / Dublin - Dublin, Ireland / Hull - Hull, UK / Lyons - Lyons-la-Forêt, France
Oxford - Oxford, UK / Rome - Rome, Italy / Smyrna - Smyrna (Izmir), Turkey
Vienna - Vienna, Austria / Bremen, Bremen, Germany

Old 04-01-2012, 06:56 PM

23,298 posts, read 43,744,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augusta Native View Post
I thought the city was named for former Governor Wilson Lumpkin's daughter's. Her middle name was Atalanta, after the fleet-footed goddess. Though I also heard that In 1845 the name "Atlantica-Pacifica" was suggested to replace "Marthasville" by John Thomson, chief engineer of the Georgia Railroad. The name was shortened to Atlanta and adopted that year, but I've never heard the Atlantis theory. Here are some others with similar names don't know if they are name after or just have common names
Athens - Athens, Greece / Bristol - Bristol, UK / Dover - Dover, UK / Dublin - Dublin, Ireland / Hull - Hull, UK / Lyons - Lyons-la-Forêt, France
Oxford - Oxford, UK / Rome - Rome, Italy / Smyrna - Smyrna (Izmir), Turkey
Vienna - Vienna, Austria / Bremen, Bremen, Germany
The 'Atlantica-Pacifica' explanation is the correct one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia