U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-03-2012, 05:37 PM
 
31,858 posts, read 29,584,616 times
Reputation: 20113

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Mainstream media concentrates on the left and right coasts. Even Chicago gets very little mention or attention with a metro of 9.4 million, and it's 50% larger than any metro in the south. Even Atlanta, or Dallas/Fort Worth.
Very true. It's not so much a bias against the South as much as it is a bias against anything not the NE corridor or California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-04-2012, 07:05 PM
 
5,102 posts, read 6,153,552 times
Reputation: 3116
Quote:
In fact, Georgia is also the largest state by area east of the Mississippi River. Unfortunately, the media are mostly full of California and New York liberals who think that Georgia and most "red states" are ignorant, full of 1960s stereotypes as in the movie "Mississippi Burning.
Enough with the straw men and contrived victimhood and absurd comment about what is in reality the corporate conservative media.

When you make comments like the one you (and others) made, you demonstrate the ignorant stereotype you claim that the corporate media "thinks" that we are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2012, 06:21 AM
 
Location: Marietta, GA
7,861 posts, read 15,205,908 times
Reputation: 3576
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
Enough with the straw men and contrived victimhood and absurd comment about what is in reality the corporate conservative media.
You are delusional.

ABC, NBC, CBS, PBS, MSNBC, CNN, NY Times, Newsweek, Time, and many others are all left leaning news and editorial media. You could say that Fox, WSJ, and possibly US News and World Report are center to slightly right wing.

The vast majority of print and TV media in this country, and almost all of the film producers and studios who make movies and TV series are left wing. In Hollywood and NY, you will get blacklisted among those types for being conservative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2012, 08:09 AM
 
5,102 posts, read 6,153,552 times
Reputation: 3116
Quote:
You are delusional.
No, I'm living in reality.

Quote:
ABC, NBC, CBS, PBS, MSNBC, CNN, NY Times, Newsweek, Time, and many others are all left leaning news and editorial media.
Disney, Universal, Clear Channel, Sinclair, Time Warner etc are not liberal.

These are very large corporate and inherently conservative companies and that has impacted their news divisions in a conservative manner for decades.

It became popular for conservatives to criticize their own media for a couple reasons...

One, Nixon and his administration was the first major critic, particularly his VP, Agnew. Now both of them were ethically challenged to very kind, along with others in their administration. Therefore, they had to attack and delegitimize the watchdog.

Also in this timeframe was social turmoil and conservatives played into people's fears and also pushed backlash to the civil rights movement (Southern Strategy and dog whistle politics).

Therefore, if the news covers a minority getting abused, it must be liberal. In recent years, how dare the media mention that a kid was murdered for being gay. Notice Fox "covers" (or not covers) the news in such a fashion and conversely say that their audience is in fact the real ones under attack etc etc.

While Fox is right out there with their agenda, along with others and AM radio. The corporate conservative mainstream media does this either because of money (they like missing white girls in Aruba). Once in a while, organically a story builds like the one in FL and national interest pushes the media, but usually the corporate conservative mainstream media has its favorites.

As a watch dog, these outlets (including the Times and WaPost) failed us miserably and acted a PR arm of the Bush administration on almost everything for example.

Quote:
and almost all of the film producers and studios who make movies and TV series are left wing
While I don't doubt that there are many liberals in the entertainment business, their bosses are about money. In fact the same conservative companies are the bosses in most cases.

The dominating market for movies are kids movies, action movies and romantic comedies. A liberal agenda is hardly the motivation for these films and most could care less about politics in the story and in fact stray away from the subject.

TV is largely the same and dominated by countless tv police procedurals.

Radio is a right wing extremist dream.

I would recommend giving your wingnut media viewing and listening habits a break, educate yourself, and return with an intelligent response, once you grow up a little bit, become more mature, and engage in a discussion based on reality, not Nixonian politics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2012, 01:17 PM
 
12 posts, read 14,057 times
Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
In fact, Georgia is also the largest state by area east of the Mississippi River.
I wonder how they could miss that? Clearly the extra 6 acres of space over all those other states count..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2012, 07:47 AM
 
Location: Marietta, GA
7,861 posts, read 15,205,908 times
Reputation: 3576
Quote:
Originally Posted by rerty View Post
I wonder how they could miss that? Clearly the extra 6 acres of space over all those other states count..
I made a statement of fact. Georgia is the largest state east of the Mississippi, with a top ten population to boot.

Not sure what your point is, but it's lost on me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2012, 01:18 PM
 
31,858 posts, read 29,584,616 times
Reputation: 20113
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
I made a statement of fact. Georgia is the largest state east of the Mississippi, with a top ten population to boot.
I suppose it's just that the land size thing doesn't really amount to much in terms of the perception of it being overlooked. I suppose it would if GA were drastically larger than its neighboring states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2012, 02:37 PM
 
Location: Marietta, GA
7,861 posts, read 15,205,908 times
Reputation: 3576
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
No, I'm living in reality.



Disney, Universal, Clear Channel, Sinclair, Time Warner etc are not liberal.

These are very large corporate and inherently conservative companies and that has impacted their news divisions in a conservative manner for decades.

It became popular for conservatives to criticize their own media for a couple reasons...

One, Nixon and his administration was the first major critic, particularly his VP, Agnew. Now both of them were ethically challenged to very kind, along with others in their administration. Therefore, they had to attack and delegitimize the watchdog.

Also in this timeframe was social turmoil and conservatives played into people's fears and also pushed backlash to the civil rights movement (Southern Strategy and dog whistle politics).

Therefore, if the news covers a minority getting abused, it must be liberal. In recent years, how dare the media mention that a kid was murdered for being gay. Notice Fox "covers" (or not covers) the news in such a fashion and conversely say that their audience is in fact the real ones under attack etc etc.

While Fox is right out there with their agenda, along with others and AM radio. The corporate conservative mainstream media does this either because of money (they like missing white girls in Aruba). Once in a while, organically a story builds like the one in FL and national interest pushes the media, but usually the corporate conservative mainstream media has its favorites.

As a watch dog, these outlets (including the Times and WaPost) failed us miserably and acted a PR arm of the Bush administration on almost everything for example.



While I don't doubt that there are many liberals in the entertainment business, their bosses are about money. In fact the same conservative companies are the bosses in most cases.

The dominating market for movies are kids movies, action movies and romantic comedies. A liberal agenda is hardly the motivation for these films and most could care less about politics in the story and in fact stray away from the subject.

TV is largely the same and dominated by countless tv police procedurals.

Radio is a right wing extremist dream.

I would recommend giving your wingnut media viewing and listening habits a break, educate yourself, and return with an intelligent response, once you grow up a little bit, become more mature, and engage in a discussion based on reality, not Nixonian politics.
Now I know you're verbose and insulting as well as delusional. Review those media outlets that I listed and review their editorials and news, and who occupies their executive ranks. I'm talking specifics and you're hurling slogans.

As for talk radio....maybe because idiots like Al Franken tried "Air America" and other left leaning radio talk and it fell on its face. No one wants to listen to the left wing programming. Don't you think that all the evil corporate radio stations would be drooling over a program that could sell ads for them and make money? Conservative messages get listeners and sell ads. Liberal messages don't. Plain and simple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2012, 02:40 PM
 
Location: Milwaukee, WI
2 posts, read 2,243 times
Reputation: 10
I hear Georgia mentioned in the media and pop culture all the time. Remember when the NFL went crazy over Michael Vick leading the Falcons to a 9-6-1 record way back when? Nowadays, it seems like "Matty Ice" is constantly mentioned during football coverage...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2012, 02:58 PM
 
Location: ๏̯͡๏﴿ Gwinnett-That's a Civil Matter-County
2,117 posts, read 5,501,140 times
Reputation: 3518
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
The corporate conservative mainstream media does this either because of money (they like missing white girls in Aruba).
I'll go one step further and say the real value in covering stories like missing white girls, celebrity overdoses, endless tornado and weather coverage and pink slime in hamburger meat, is that by covering these stories rather than what is actually newsworthy and going on in the world, they don't have to expose things that would be harmful to the one of their businesses or corporate sponsors and best of all, they can put enough fear into the viewers that they'll be terrified not to tune in daily to find out what's coming to get them next.

It's an election year so be sure to cover terrorists and the bogus crap posted online as well as a minimum of 10 minutes an hour of Rush Limbaugh clips an hour like they do on msnBS.

Another trick of the trade is talk really slowly like diane sawyer so you can cover as little as possible in between pharma adverts.

Oh and be sure to tell everyone how awesome the economy is doing right before a big travel week so everyone books their trip to disney world. It's a great place to get away from all the tornados and pink slime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
In fact the same conservative companies are the bosses in most cases.
And if anyone needs any evidence of this, turn on your local fox affiliate on sunday night at 9pm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:45 AM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top