U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 01:04 AM

4 posts, read 8,431 times

Advertisements

Hi..im a newbie! We are moving from South Florida to Ga. We want a place slightly slower pace than here. We want some place smaller than here but definitely not considered small town. We want a safe place, with good schools and fair prices for purchasing a home...more or less under $220k. Oh and nice people. We dont want rural. We are from a pretty densely populated area, so less would be ok, but too sparce would be a culture shock! i have done a lot of research on city-data.org and have narrowed it down to NorthEast Cobb, Roswell, or Sandy Springs. Does anyone have any true experience living in these areas that can make any suggestion from first hand experience? Thank you sooo much for any help you can give!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2012, 09:47 AM

249 posts, read 577,547 times
Hi... Funny to come across this thread because we moved here 6 months ago and are ready to try Florida! We live in Alpharetta but on the tip of Roswell. I will say it is very nice and there are good schools from what I hear, since it is Fulton County. My daughter currently attends preschool in Roswell and I have nothing but good things to say about it. The homes here are lovely, some are some what costly though. Roswell has a nice little downtown area with cute restaurants and stores, but it is very small. We came here from northern NJ and we miss the city vibe.... It just feels very suburban here.... Not sure how pedestrian of a town your looking for coming from Florida I guess you are used to driving everywhere... It is like that here as well. I don't know about Sandy Springs it Dunwoody seemed a little more alive to us... It's a bit close to the perimeter which we don't want, but def seems like it has more flavor than Roswell or Alpharetta. People so far have been ok... Not overly friendly or nothing but not rude either... Although I haven't really met any true southerns.. Everyone seems to be like us, transplanted from somewhere else!
Good luck with your move...

Old 04-06-2012, 09:44 PM

Hi....vkvidal! Thanks for your response. Why do you want to leave Ga. so fast? Other than the small downtown area,does Roswell have anything to do? Is it a lively place? We are looking for a place more calm than Florida, but definitely not boring. Yes you are correct.. In Florida we drive everywhere! Do you know about NorthEast Cobb Ga?

Old 04-06-2012, 10:08 PM

Honestly we are just bored here.... But this is just 1 opinion so you might want to keep researching info . I researched for almost 2 years.. It seemed like a good fit, but once we got here and settled in we realized this is not the place for us. We have been to parks, there are a lot of parks and the recreation centers seem to offer a lot of programs for kids and adults. I think for us it's more about family... We left everyone behind and our daughter has no other family here. We are also Cuban American so we are very drawn to our culture and others like us, haven't found any of that here. I guess it all depends what you are looking for. We thought we wanted suburbia, the big house Witt
H the big yard... And it so happens my daughter and husband have been terribly sick with allergies since we got here and she is allergic to grass!!! Lol
So all in all not the best fit for us. Like I said if you want calm and relaxed... With crazy driving then you will be fine... Just don't expect too much going on. It is your typical suburban sprawl of strip malls and subdivisions.... No real neighborhood feel... Unless maybe inside the subdivision itself.
I hope I don't beat up by all the Georgians here, but I'd have to say this area is definitely not hip and lively at all! Roswell has smal historic area, again not much going on there either.... I have no idea of sandy springs, only went there once to my daughters dentist.. Sorry I am not much help in that area.
As far as Roswell from all the research I have done.... It is safe, has really good school ( although GA schools rank 40 th in the nation soooo you might be in school ranked 5th in a state that ranked 40 th) kinda of like the best of the worst...
As far as homes, not a clue.. We are currently renting, but there a TON of homes for sale and I hear prices are pretty low.. If you rent first which I highly recommend even for 6 months you are looking at prob around 1100 to 1400 for a nice apartment, depending on bedroom size of coarse. You can def rent a home for a great price... There a tons of those too.
Hope this shed some light... Like I said I am just one opinion and def do your research. I met a girl here who moved a few months before us and she is very happy here. She loves it here and this is now home for
Her.
What part of Florida a you coming from?

Old 04-30-2012, 01:11 AM

We are moving from Coral Springs, fl. right next to Boca Raton. We are going to be looking in Roswell, Alpharetta,Sandy Springs and Dunwoody. Roswell being 1st choice. From what it sounds like its pretty boring up there. What preschool does your daughter go to in case we do end up in Roswell? We have 3 kids and our 2 year old will be ready by the time we finally get up there...she will be 3 by then. So did you like Dunwoody?

Old 04-30-2012, 11:03 AM

2,117 posts, read 5,501,140 times
I don't think Atlanta suburbs are a slower pace than down there.
And I have regularly made the case that Broward county is the friendliest place on earth so call me crazy but atlanta is a rat race. Although our pretty brick shopping centers and all the trees may have you believe otherwise.

I'm not sure if you really meant you want a slower pace as in the kind of slow pace that a retiree might be looking for or if you're tired of all the crime and feeling the pinch of all the development down there. I'm guessing it's probably the latter. You will find the area more to your liking in those regards.

Lots of floridians in alpharetta. That just seems to be the place that the out-of-towners end up in. It's not my favorite suburb but it's a great place to raise children. Or at least that's the impression that I get since it's very family oriented and it's teeming with children.

Culture shock? Most definitely.

Friendly people? Meh.
People will talk to you in the checkout line but that doesn't mean they want to be friends. I'll leave it at that.

Old 04-30-2012, 06:46 PM

Well put Cittic 10.... I was just telling my friend back in no that this place is far from a slower pace! The rat race is on full speed here. Alpharetta is pretty boring to us.... And most defiantly agree with the degree of friendliness.... Or should I say politeness. We have been here 7 months and well let's just say other than people we have met at church we have not been able to make any "friends".

Old 04-30-2012, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin' on from Fl View Post
We are moving from Coral Springs, fl. right next to Boca Raton. We are going to be looking in Roswell, Alpharetta,Sandy Springs and Dunwoody. Roswell being 1st choice. From what it sounds like its pretty boring up there. What preschool does your daughter go to in case we do end up in Roswell? We have 3 kids and our 2 year old will be ready by the time we finally get up there...she will be 3 by then. So did you like Dunwoody?
I guess you can say its pretty boring.... But it depends what you are looking for. Frankly we came from a very pedestrian town and here it just seems like everything is a hassle.... From going to the grocery store to ordering take out. Delivery for pizza takes 1 hour... And he pizza here is awful, everything tastes like papa John pizza.
I will say my daughter attends Kids r Kids of East Roswell, located in Alpharetta. I have nothing but good things to say about her school. I am very pleased with the teachers, the director and her progress there. I wish they taught K to be honest with you, definitely check them out, they are on Holcomb Ridge Rd in Alpharetta.
Dunwoody seemed more our speed.... Little more urban and pedestrian. I liked it and would consider living there but my husband and daughter want out... So we probably won't be staying here much longer... BUT if we did happen to stay here I am definitely moving out of Alpharetta, maybe Duwoody or Buckhead.... Midtown is also awesome!

Old 04-30-2012, 07:40 PM

4,043 posts, read 6,425,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkvidal View Post
... We left everyone behind and our daughter has no other family here. We are also Cuban American so we are very drawn to our culture and others like us, haven't found any of that here. I guess it all depends what you are looking for. We thought we wanted suburbia, the big house Witt
H the big yard...
Why don't people ever learn?...
How can anyone believe that a shiny house in apparently idyllic suburbia can bring any measure of happiness, when there is no true sense of community in the picture? If community is missing from the picture, you have largely no chance. Community as in "public spaces to walk in, interesting things to look at outside your house, close neighbors, family and friends close by".

So many people in our modern times have been duped into thinking that the little nuclear family can be bursting with happiness all by itself, in a shiny 'burb house out there, with a little yard in the back...which can always be changed for another 'burb house, in another part of the country...just keep looking until you find the RIGHT place for you.

No such thing. When you have true community around, even He*l can seem like a wonderful place. Because it's YOUR place.
When a sense of community is missing, you can move into Buckingham Palace or Bill Gates' neighborhood and you'll still end up miserable.

Happiness doesn't come from that.
It never has, it never will.
It comes from a reality rooted in close community. If this is missing, you are almost guaranteed to get a serious dose of existential angst sooner or later - regardless of how close your little nuclear family is.

The nuclear family needs to be anchored in something larger than itself.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
Why don't people ever learn?...
How can anyone believe that a shiny house in apparently idyllic suburbia can bring any measure of happiness, when there is no true sense of community in the picture? If community is missing from the picture, you have largely no chance. Community as in "public spaces to walk in, interesting things to look at outside your house, close neighbors, family and friends close by".

So many people in our modern times have been duped into thinking that the little nuclear family can be bursting with happiness all by itself, in a shiny 'burb house out there, with a little yard in the back...which can always be changed for another 'burb house, in another part of the country...just keep looking until you find the RIGHT place for you.

No such thing. When you have true community around, even He*l can seem like a wonderful place. Because it's YOUR place.
When a sense of community is missing, you can move into Buckingham Palace or Bill Gates' neighborhood and you'll still end up miserable.

Happiness doesn't come from that.
It never has, it never will.
It comes from a reality rooted in close community. If this is missing, you are almost guaranteed to get a serious dose of existential angst sooner or later - regardless of how close your little nuclear family is.

The nuclear family needs to be anchored in something larger than itself.
Words to live by!
FABULOUS post and I could not agree with you more....
Hindsight is 20/20.... And this move has definitely taught the meaning and importance of family and a sense of community!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia