U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Old 04-06-2012, 09:33 AM
3 posts, read 4,961 times
Reputation: 10


Hello was wondering if anybody could give me some advice? My father is American, I was born in England however my birth was registered in America and i have a social security number. I am thinking about relocating Myself, My Husband and a 2 and 4 year old from England to Georgia. Should it be easy enough to get a visa for us all?

Also, what are the schools like my 4 year old is in a lovely church of England school with 15 in his year. will i be hard pushed to find something similar for him in Georgia he also has a speech delay so would he get any extra support?

Do you have a pre school system for ages 3 to 5 for my youngest child?

Also I have 3 years experience of working with disabled kids in a social care setting, i have my NVQ level 3. would my qualifications and experience be enough to secure care work or would i have to take other qualifications?

We have lots to think about and these are just my immediate worrys. Any help would be great. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2012, 07:30 PM
Location: Murika
2,526 posts, read 2,675,795 times
Reputation: 1924
By "registered in America," do you mean that you (your father) obtained a Consular Report of Birth Abroad? Do you have a US passport? Through the birth to a US citizen, you are eligible for US citizenship as well (if certain conditions are met). It is not automatic, meaning that there are certain procedures that need to be followed. I am only familiar with the requirements right at birth but not in case of an adult.

Even if you do have US citizenship, obtaining permanent residency for your husband and dependents will be a lengthy process (roughly two years, depending on several factors).

You may also be able to obtain a work visa (not a green card) IF you can find a company that is willing to go through the process.

Without either - in other words, just entering as a tourist and overstaying your time (your husband and kids) - leads to arrest, expulsion, and a ban from re-entering the US (depending on how long you overstayed, either two or ten years), regardless of whether you are a US citizen or not. Thus, not a recommended procedure.

I would recommend that you either try the Legal Immigration forum:


or google a dedicated forum that exclusively addresses immigration issues. Links to other forums are not permitted on this site - thus, simply google Visa Journey and thou shalt find what you are looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2012, 03:05 AM
3 posts, read 4,961 times
Reputation: 10
Thank you for pointing me in the right direction reg Visas, My dad states that my citizenship should still be valid although i do not have a US passport, would be great if i could speak to someone from the embassy but seems to be a matter of going through websites etc. Was hoping for some information on my other topics also before making the "big" decision and spending money etc on the visa's! thanks again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2012, 02:25 PM
Location: Murika
2,526 posts, read 2,675,795 times
Reputation: 1924
Good. I cannot comment on the transferability of any of your work qualifications. In general, working with disabled children requires licensing here in the US - whether you can transfer your credentials or whether you will have to be re-certified is generally a state issue. I am not familiar with that process, though.

Also, the US is still going through rough economic times with fairly high unemployment rates. I don't know what prospects you would have in your particular area of expertise.

There are plenty of pre-schools available although the majority will be private unless you qualify as "in-need." Since your family would need to meet financial requirements in order to obtain permanent residency, you would likely not qualify. Thus, you will have a choice of secular or religious pre-schools. Curricula vary and can be anywhere from a few morning hours two days a week to a full day, five days a week - and anything in between. It's best to check out various schools once you are here.

Since this is "the South," religious pre-schools are abundant - with various levels of religious teaching as part of their curriculum. Secular schools run the gamut from Montessori to Waldorf to who-knows-what - all depending on the particular area you move to. These schools may or may not be available in your area. Tuition varies accordingly.

BTW - you do not need to spend money in order to research your eligibility. You also don't need to spend money to obtain visas or green cards (other than the required fees). If you don't qualify, you won't find a visa to apply for and thus, you won't have to spend any money! Although some people feel more comfortable having a lawyer for residency applications, this is neither needed nor required. Visas are even less problematic - IF you qualify!

The processes for obtaining either a visa or permanent residency are quite straight-forward. Forms and Manuals are all available on the official USCIS site:

USCIS Home Page

Finally, there is nothing wrong with going to your local US embassy and inquiring about your plans. All you need to do is set up an appointment. As a rule of thumb, though, they don't appreciate anyone who comes unprepared - thus, do as much research as you can beforehand, make a list of questions, and have documents with you (such as your birth abroad notice, birth certificate, passports, etc.). That way, you will get the most out of your visit.

First and foremost, I would think that you need to establish whether you are a US citizen already or whether you have to apply for US citizenship based on your relation to a US citizen (your father).

Last edited by vamos; 04-07-2012 at 02:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2012, 08:46 AM
3 posts, read 4,961 times
Reputation: 10
Thank you so much for all your advice! it is really appreciated, Im off to the US Embassy next month to try and get my US passport. so finger crossed, We can then apply for the Husband and Children's Visa's. We will have to wait for all that to go through first before taking our investigations further. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2012, 02:42 PM
Location: Murika
2,526 posts, read 2,675,795 times
Reputation: 1924
Any time. Always keep in mind that there are plenty of other people who have gone through the same (or a similar) process. As you've hopefully already discovered, there's plenty of help and advice to go around. Good luck in your pursuit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2012, 04:59 PM
2 posts, read 2,820 times
Reputation: 10
[FONT=Verdana]Moving to Georgia! How exciting. I am a mother of a 7 year old and I have had her in a private school setting all of her life. There are a lot of great private schools in Ga. I like Gwinnett County. there is killian Hill Christian school as well as Greater Atlanta Christian School. These are top performing schools and they have grants for families that help with tuition. You could also likely get a job in your field working at these schools as well. The Gwinnett county area is about 25 min from the city (NE). You are near Hwy 85 which will take you to downtown Atlanta. Gwinnett is considered the suburbs and has a lot for the family. There are Avenues and great shopping areas. Nice recreation parks and family fitness centers with child camps as well. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]There are nice apartments on hwy 29 in Lawrenceville Ga. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]If you want to live South of the City Henry county is a great area to live. Eagles Landing exit of the Hwy 75 South is amazing, the Public school system in henry County is by far better than the private schools in the area. Their test scores are amazing![/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]I hope this helps with regard to the school and living aspect of Ga. Ga provides a great mix of cultures. We are a very diverse state with lots to do. I have been here for 16 years and love it. Great place to raise a family.....wouldn't Ya'll agree [/FONT]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top