Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2006, 01:01 PM

103 posts, read 327,574 times

Advertisements

Hello All

I am a single mother that will be relaocating to GA next July from Brooklyn NY. My children are by next year 16 and 7. My 16 year old is in specail education and my 7 year old is in regluar ed. Because of my son, I am very concerned with the school systems in GA. I had to go through countless school visits and school board meeting all through my son's education, so I am not afraid of the research that will go into finding the right place to place him.

Now, I was considering moving to Clayton County GA, I even went as far as going into a contract for a home. But it did not work out so I backed out. My best friend from college lives in Hampton GA, about 10 minutes away from Henry County. So I think that living there will be good because I have a friend there. I also have a sister that lives is Cobb County. But that it a little outside of my price range for homes. I am also looking into Gwinette County. But being that I want a new home, the discourging thing is seeing that they have a lot of resale homes.

Then I am concerned about the job and income factor. I have worked in the apparel industry for 12 years in Logistics. Ia m thinking that because I do not have that formal Administrative experience, it might hinder me in finding employment and good paying employment at that. I mean I make a decent salary here in NYC and would hate to take a drastc pay cut.

If you guys can give me info. It will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Tammara
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2006, 02:23 PM

148 posts, read 951,181 times
Default Salary

NYC has a high salary base, and it costs a lot of money to live there. I would assume whatever you're making in NYC, you'll be making less in the metro Atlanta area. On the other hand, the cost-of-living here is much, much, much less.

The apparel industry has a huge base in NYC. I'm not aware of an apparel base in Atlanta--at least on the production side of the equation. Maybe your skills in Logistics could land you a job somewhere on the retail side within the apparel industry. Maybe your skills could transfer to other jobs as well?

Good luck!

Z
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
View detailed profiles of: