U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 06:46 PM

1 posts, read 3,046 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering moving to Stephens County. We are attracted by the proximity of Lake Hartwell and the many biking and hiking opportunities. Plus, it's close to metropolitan area for health and some cultural opportunities. Right now, we live in a progressive, diverse community, and we don't know if we'd be welcomed in this town. We are environmentally protective and not religiously affiliated. Are there bridge-playing, tree-hugging, kind people who are looking for same in Stephens County?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2007, 11:04 PM

283 posts, read 1,106,583 times
I don't think democrat where you are from and democrat here mean the same thing. Many democrats in the area but the rest doesn't really seem to fit what I find there. But you are sure to find several games of bridge. Tree huggin diffinately not unless you consider tree huggin charmin against your bum. Enviromenatlly friendly is mixed, it just depends on which issue you are talking about on to who is going to agree; but, even they aren't many would consider themselves to be.

Old 09-17-2007, 07:53 AM

483 posts, read 1,943,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baberuth45 View Post
My husband and I are considering moving to Stephens County. We are attracted by the proximity of Lake Hartwell and the many biking and hiking opportunities. Plus, it's close to metropolitan area for health and some cultural opportunities. Right now, we live in a progressive, diverse community, and we don't know if we'd be welcomed in this town. We are environmentally protective and not religiously affiliated. Are there bridge-playing, tree-hugging, kind people who are looking for same in Stephens County?
If by 'environmentally protective' you mean you'd like the mountains, trees and wildlife to remain for future generations, then you'd be welcome. If by that you mean you want to tell everybody else what they can and can't do with their own trees, land, etc. you won't.

As for religion, if you get insulted and go on a rant when someone invites you to their church, you won't like it here. If you just say 'thanks', you'll be ok. If you never go, they won't care.

The deep south was for a long time solidly Democrat, until the party was taken over by venomous, foaming-at-the-mouth lunatics. We steer clear of things which foam at the mouth.

Old 09-17-2007, 07:58 PM

3,670 posts, read 4,174,564 times
Default Georgia was

solidly Democratic until the 90s. The primary Democratic tradition here, though, was in the Populist vein.

Old 09-18-2007, 01:02 PM

7,100 posts, read 25,066,158 times
In some areas, the Democratic party had a strangle hold on everything, and it wasn't the most honest group about. There wasn't even a repulican party to speal of. When one was developed, people voted Republican as a protest. If that area is like our area of Georgia, they will vote one way for president, another for congressman, maybe an Independnt for County Office or whatever floats their boat. Our democratic party was at one time a disgrace as it supported all sorts of illegal stuff like gambling, prostitution and smuggling.

The thing will be if you can smile and nod or whether you want to argue. In Georgia, both parties have a lot in common.

Old 05-14-2011, 09:20 AM

1,352 posts, read 3,963,202 times
The only reason you would be asking this is if you plan on telling your neighbors they cant hunt or store that old ford on their lawn..........

both i would advise against.

Old 05-20-2011, 05:29 AM

560 posts, read 1,016,342 times
Default You can!

Quote:
Originally Posted by baberuth45 View Post

As long as you don't let people know it! I'll tell you one thing we don't like...people who weren't born here who come in and attempt to "enlighten" us and change our way of life. If you want things to be the same as where you just moved from....why did you move?

Old 05-25-2011, 08:49 AM

10,260 posts, read 10,022,236 times
Toccoa, like many of the towns and cities in north Georgia, is a wonderful place in a beautiful setting with very warm people. Can a Democrat live there? Of course! Don't think that just because it isn't a "big" city, that folks are, by default, all conservative. I live part time in Blue Ridge (north central Georgia) and part time in Atlanta. While you may see a few Confederate flags in Blue Ridge, you will also find many people, natives and transplants, who are liberal minded. I agree with a previous poster, don't try changing folks' minds if they are of a different political persuasion, but you won't encounter hostility or disdain for being open about your liberalism any more than you would in a bigger city.

Personally, I think you'll love Toccoa.

Old 05-30-2011, 07:35 AM

799 posts, read 1,260,792 times
I have dyed-in-the-wool Democrat family and friends (who think Obama is wonderful) who have lived their entire lives in nearby Upstate SC, which is at least as conservative as NE Georgia. I think you'll be fine.

Old 05-30-2011, 02:27 PM

2,819 posts, read 9,558,195 times
Yes, you can be anything you want to be from Toccoa to Clayton. NE Georgia is very nice from the mountains to the hills, to Helen, to the Cabbage Patch hospital.

Now, let's try not to get on personal attacks, etc.,
Time for a Wooo Saaa moment people! Play nice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia