U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2012, 12:34 PM

3 posts, read 8,794 times

Advertisements

We live in Northern Florida and are fixing to retired. We want a smaller community with friendly neighborhoods / subdivisions.

Cherokee County seems to have outgrown itself , except for Northern end - Ball Ground or Waleska. Besides, Canton has a "reputation" of not being as nice as other cities in Cherokee and more of a migrant type population. Someone said something about a chicken processing plant there. I couldnt but think Gainesville, GA and its population!

We want to remain close to medical facilities and basic shopping needs.

Any input and comments on Pickens and Dawson Counties? Really don't desire any further south of Canton, Coal Mountain area in Forsyth or Dawson County.

I know Dawson County has that Outlet but really dont need that. Jasper seems to have the needs and medical, less congestion and traffic, close enough to major airport, and close to major Interstates. Dont need a golf course or a lake. Negatives?

Would all provide opinions on plus and negatives of each of these cities and their counties please? thanks so much.

Oh, how rural is Northern Forsyth County? Really, Cumming and south is just a suburb of Atlanta its seems.

Really wanting information and opinions.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2012, 01:28 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,494,315 times
All of those are considered suburbs and if they are peaceful and quiet now, just give it a few years.
Our out of control sprawl and unregulated laissez-faire approach to developers will leave you with a very different looking community in the years to come.

There are some popular communities in the mountains for retirement up in North Carolina and the mountainous areas of GA such as elijay and blairsville.

don't get me wrong, a lot of people move to the northern atlanta suburbs to retire, especially from fla, but it would be too much of a rat race for me. But that's me.

Old 04-12-2012, 06:49 PM

31,750 posts, read 29,484,217 times
Canton's not bad, but it's starting to get as suburbanized as Woodstock is. There's just one chicken plant in town (in contrast to the handful found in Gainesville) and it's not on one of the major arteries. You'd only have to pass it if you were going to the health department or something.

Ball Ground and Waleska are pretty rural. Jasper gets more traffic than them, but they are all pretty quiet towns.

Along 400 in north Forsyth, you can see where a lot of tract housing was to be built before the housing crash. I imagine that some of that will pick back up as the economy recovers, so if you're looking for something relatively quiet, I'd probably steer clear.

Dawsonville gets more traffic than you'd expect because of the outlet malls, but it seems to be manageable. But admittedly, I haven't been in that area on the weekend.

Jasper seems to be your best bet. It has a newish hospital and basic retail. What it doesn't have, you can pretty much get in Ellijay or definitely Canton.

Old 04-16-2012, 10:17 AM

3 posts, read 8,794 times
Not bad as in not good either? lol

Thanks for the comments and insight.
I have heard that Canton was not that nice anyway and Woodstock was just too congested.

Thinking of exploring Dahelonga, Dawsonville and Jasper, GA. Ball Ground might be nice but not sure I even want to be in Cherokee County.

From what your saying, apparently Jasper GA has a new small hospital and some basic businesses. All I have even seen is the elite areas of Bent Tree and Big Canoe, wondering if any other new nice subdivisions?

Old 04-17-2012, 09:04 AM

31,750 posts, read 29,484,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingtoNorthGA View Post
Not bad as in not good either? lol

Thanks for the comments and insight.
I have heard that Canton was not that nice anyway and Woodstock was just too congested.
It depends what you think of as "good." It's clear that Canton is a community in transition, with the older areas providing a contrast with the newer, more suburban areas. I actually liked the older neighborhoods around downtown and the newer subdivisions are pretty nice as well.

Quote:
Thinking of exploring Dahelonga, Dawsonville and Jasper, GA. Ball Ground might be nice but not sure I even want to be in Cherokee County.
I don't even think you can get the basics in Ball Ground; you'd have to go down to Canton or up to Jasper for that. But I think Dawsonville and Dahlonega are worth exploring.

Quote:
From what your saying, apparently Jasper GA has a new small hospital and some basic businesses. All I have even seen is the elite areas of Bent Tree and Big Canoe, wondering if any other new nice subdivisions?
I'm not too sure about subdivisions, although I'd imagine they would have some nice newer ones. My travels to and through Jasper didn't really take me into any of those areas.

Old 04-17-2012, 01:57 PM

12 posts, read 69,289 times
My parents retired in Big Canoe. Have you checked that out yet? They moved up there from Dunwoody and really like it.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:40 PM

2,399 posts, read 3,668,244 times
Canton has nowhere near the illegal population that Gainesville has. It's not even close. Whereas hispanics in the Canton vicinity visibly look to be about 15% of the population of the city proper and only around 5% of any place with a Canton address. Even then, most hispanics are concentrated to a relatively small area of Canton, mostly around downtown. In Gainesville, the population looks to be visibly be around 40% hispanic in their city proper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia