U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 04:23 PM

1,072 posts, read 1,660,953 times

Advertisements

What do you think are the best north Georgia mountain towns?
I will have to put Dahlonega at the top of my list, followed by Clayton.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2007, 01:50 PM

11 posts, read 63,371 times
I bought a vacation home in Dawsonville, I plan on moving there in a few years. I love it...small town feel, scenery is breathtaking...and I'm a 10 minute drive to 400 where I have the Premium Outlets, Home depot, Walmart and lots of restaurants and shops.

Old 09-16-2007, 04:24 PM

3,670 posts, read 4,175,142 times
Default one place

mentioned pretty often is Ellijay, although I have never been there.

Old 09-23-2007, 12:24 AM

58 posts, read 367,295 times
Blue Ridge, Georgia and Fannin county is also a good mountain town - its beginning to get civilized with decent amenities. 90 minutes to downtown ATL via GA 515/ I-575 through Canton.

Old 09-23-2007, 07:43 AM

749 posts, read 1,256,087 times
I fell in love with Dillard, Mountain City, and Clayton. I didn't get to visit some of the other towns mentioned, but I hope to on my next visit. As nice as the area was last month in a severe drought, I can't imagine how pretty it would be with the normal amount of rainfall!

One problem I could see with Clayton was the fact that it had a Wal-Mart and Home Depot. To me that means the beginning of the end of the mom-and-pop businesses in the downtown area, which are important to me; however, if the locals want the stores, then who am I to say otherwise. I've just seen it happen a number of times over the last 10 to 15 years or so, and it is sad. The town changes, and not for the better in my opinion. Also, the developers have discovered it and appear to be driving up the real estate prices, which really is a shame. I've seen where the local population has been priced out of the market a number of times over the years. Very sad.

Old 09-23-2007, 09:56 AM

483 posts, read 1,944,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnc66 View Post
One problem I could see with Clayton was the fact that it had a Wal-Mart and Home Depot. To me that means the beginning of the end of the mom-and-pop businesses in the downtown area, which are important to me; however, if the locals want the stores, then who am I to say otherwise. I've just seen it happen a number of times over the last 10 to 15 years or so, and it is sad. The town changes, and not for the better in my opinion. Also, the developers have discovered it and appear to be driving up the real estate prices, which really is a shame. I've seen where the local population has been priced out of the market a number of times over the years. Very sad.
Don't assume that the locals want the big-box stores. Often they force themselves in despite the objections of the local population. The city council only sees dollar signs, and promises of jobs, and welcomes them with open wallet.. I mean open arms.

In my area, Walmart has been here long enough that people are complaining about the poor quality merchandise, long checkout lines, and crazy stock management.
The 'mom-and-pop' stores are making a comeback, as well.

It's just too bad that Walmart flattened a perfectly good mountain to build their store and parking lot. That can never be put back.

Old 09-23-2007, 12:58 PM

180 posts, read 216,117 times
Blue Ridge, GA is beautiful...a nice town and nice scenery. Also Hiawassee and Young-Harris...Young-Harris College is located there, which makes it all that much nicer.

Tallullah Falls is really beautiful...the town is pretty small, like less than 1,000 residents?

Old 09-23-2007, 01:50 PM

4 posts, read 41,323 times
Helen is beautiful as well. I have only been there once but I loved it.

Old 09-23-2007, 08:39 PM

2 posts, read 48,285 times
Blue Ridge is still a pretty nice town, area is growing rapidly with little oversight which is too bad. The "local" love visitors, but don't care too much for newcomers moving in. I've been here 15 years and I'm still an outsider.
If you're into antique shopping, this is the place. If you prefer fast food to dining Fannin County is for you. Shopping for anything other than groceries or building supplies you'll have to travel to Ellijay or Murphy.
However, if you're looking for beautiful mountainous area where you an still live in the woods, where life is pretty much laid back then Fannin County is the place. This is the place for me. I love country life!

Old 11-06-2007, 04:57 PM

118 posts, read 429,773 times
Default Helen use to be beautiful......

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricanpeach View Post
Helen is beautiful as well. I have only been there once but I loved it.
Sadly, they have allowed it to go down hill and it's starting to look really run down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or