Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 07:58 AM

5,845 posts, read 6,157,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
I would love high speed rail, don't get me wrong. But when the exorbitant cost of it can be rationalized vs. the cost of roads for long distance travel, your argument about more taxes will gain a shred of credibility.
Oh no...not this again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by y8tiger View Post
Google Maps driving directions From Huntsville, AL to Adairsville, GA looks like it would make an ideal Interstate Route.

Maybe then GA would extend it to Canton - Cumming - Buford creating that Outer Perimeter Northern Arc they have been talking about for decades.
Ugh. No. Please. No. No northern arc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2012, 12:42 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,860,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
Oh no...not this again...

Ugh. No. Please. No. No northern arc.

The lack of an easy east/west route across the high growth areas north of Atlanta is the one thing I can say the state of Georgia dropped the ball on as bad as a ball can be dropped. The argument that roads cause sprawl is totally debunked by the northern tier of suburban growth. They have sprawled without this road anyway. If it were in place, thru traffic could avoid Atlanta and ease the bottleneck where the main three interstate corridors of the southeast meet at one hub... downtown Atlanta... or its inner ring bypass. This worked 45 years ago, it doesn't work today.

Old 05-29-2012, 07:42 PM

561 posts, read 781,142 times
I agree. The NIMBYs cried that sprawl would kill their way of life if the Northern Arc or Outer Perimeter would have been built. Well, the sprawl happened anyway and now there is no Arc, which would have solved a ton of regional traffic problems unrelated to the Arc itself. I bet the NIMBYs with their short-sighted mentality didn't predict that happening. It would have been much cheaper to do it back then too.

Besides. If the fear was sprawl, you can somewhat control sprawl by limiting entrance and exit points, which makes the road a true bypass. The more exits you have, the more homes and businesses pop up near said exits. The only exits/entrances could/should have been GA-316, I-85, I-985, GA-400, and I-75 (for a Northern Arc). Oh well, it's a moot point now unless the rest of the counties get on board with Gwinnett and connect with Sugarloaf Pkwy. I don't see it happening though.

It would sure have been nice to not share my commute down I-85 every morning and up I-85 in the evening with trucks who are "just passing through". It sure would be nice to go from Hall/Gwinnett to Cobb/Cherokee without having to go numerous miles South just to go back North.

But hey, that would have required some forward thinking and selflessness.

Old 05-29-2012, 10:08 PM

1,327 posts, read 1,912,498 times
Wow, lots of useful tips. I am from Augusta and I am studying urban planning. I actually thought of the idea after reading a wikipedia page on Huntsville AL. I figured you could run this from Huntsville thru the northern Atlanta metro area north then east of Athens then end in Columbia County. This could fix the traffic problems of multiple cities for years to come. I love the feedback and I will continue to plan and redesign.

Old 05-29-2012, 11:41 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,860,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpatt.marine1 View Post
Wow, lots of useful tips. I am from Augusta and I am studying urban planning. I actually thought of the idea after reading a wikipedia page on Huntsville AL. I figured you could run this from Huntsville thru the northern Atlanta metro area north then east of Athens then end in Columbia County. This could fix the traffic problems of multiple cities for years to come. I love the feedback and I will continue to plan and redesign.
Tie it in with 520 at Augusta and then continue it on down to Savannah and you have a great, useful and much needed highway.

Old 05-30-2012, 02:18 PM

1,074 posts, read 1,533,081 times
The only thing I ever cared about was Augusta or Columbus getting some sort of interstate going near the downtown, but then some folks bring up a topic about SPRWAL< not my problem
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia