U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2012, 11:44 AM

18 posts, read 71,814 times

Advertisements

My fiancee is in the Air Force and looking to cross train to get out of the blackhole of a base we're at now (Hurlburt Field). The one job he's considering has openings at Ft. Gordon, so I'm looking for some insight.

I'm doing my fair share of Google searches but I'd like to get some real people opinions.

What kind of area is it? Is it generally a safe area...or are there areas that are safe (anyone who's been to Fort Walton Beach, FL probably gets why I ask. There's no separation from "nice areas" and "chain down your patio chairs" areas)?
Are the "safe" areas affordable to live in?
What kind of stuff is there to do and how close by? Is the area generally busy, or is it removed for the hustle and bustle?

I'm often called a "country bumpkin" because I spent the first 20 years of my life in the middle of nowhere. So living in Ft. Walton has been a bit scary at times haha I don't fit in there. How would someone like me fit into life in the Ft. Gordon area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2012, 11:23 AM

1 posts, read 4,048 times
Im wondering the same information, We fixing to PCS there within a year and I dont know to much on the area...

Old 05-27-2012, 06:14 PM

1,474 posts, read 3,166,499 times
There is a separate Augusta forum here. You might also post there. Also, there is a separate military site on city data as well.

With that said, Augusta does have its issues like any other metro area. However, like any where else, time of day, part of the city impacts on your personal safety. However, also remember that Augusta has a ton of medical facilities meaning a lot of skilled people have chosen to live there.

Fort Gordon is an important base. It is likely to survive future BRACs so it has stability. Colombia County with Martinez and Evans (not sure of their county locations) are known as reasonable places to live.

I don't think you have a thing to worry about if you relocate to that area.

Old 05-27-2012, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie1946 View Post
There is a separate Augusta forum here. You might also post there. Also, there is a separate military site on city data as well.

With that said, Augusta does have its issues like any other metro area. However, like any where else, time of day, part of the city impacts on your personal safety. However, also remember that Augusta has a ton of medical facilities meaning a lot of skilled people have chosen to live there.

Fort Gordon is an important base. It is likely to survive future BRACs so it has stability. Colombia County with Martinez and Evans (not sure of their county locations) are known as reasonable places to live.

I don't think you have a thing to worry about if you relocate to that area.
Sorry for posting in the wrong area--I'd posted before and it seemed to be in the correct spot--guess I didn't pay as much attention posting this one.

Good to know time of day and part of city impacts it--because where we live now, it doesn't. We had someone stabbed in the middle of a day in a Wal*Mart parking lot, there's crackhead single-wides literally right next door to half million dollar condos... Fort Walton is a MESS.

Old 05-29-2012, 12:37 AM

24 posts, read 57,612 times
Columbia County (Evans, Martinez, Grovetown (new part)) is pretty nice for a family, Augusta proper not so much unless you want to pay 15k a year for private school. The Augusta area in general is your typical Southern mid-sized ciy with chain restaraunts and strip malls. I personally don't find it a bad place to live considering I'm from the South and prefer the slower lifestyle.

Old 05-29-2012, 08:26 AM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,310 posts, read 12,655,912 times
There are several schools in Richmond County who are better than one's in Columbia County... Especially better than the schools in Grovetown, and I'm not even talking about the magnet schools... All you have to do is look at real estate prices, and Grovetown is nowhere at the top compared to several areas in Richmond County.

I lived in both counties so I don't have a biased opinion on the subject...

Freedom Park elementary on Fort Gordon is a national model school, and Lake Forest elementary in West Augusta is the only IB schools in the metro...

Lake Forest Hills Elementary seeks authorization for International Baccalaureate program | The Augusta Chronicle

Freedom Park Elementary recognized as National Model School

The only elementary school in Columbia County with this type prestige is located in Martinez...
Stevens Creek Elementary named School of Excellence | Columbia County News-Times

Freedom park is K-8. and had to expand back in 2010-2011.. It seems to be the choice for alot of people coming to Fort Gordon...

Last edited by nortonguy; 05-29-2012 at 08:43 AM..

Old 05-31-2012, 12:00 AM

Thankfully we don't have to consider schools. No kids and don't plan on having any soon. Animals are the only babies I want
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia