Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2012, 06:03 PM

8 posts, read 19,066 times

Advertisements

I'm currently interviewing for a position on Saint Simon's Island. My wife and I have never been to the area, but this will be our first trip down next week. We are in our early 30's and currently live in South/Central Jersey just outside of Philadelphia. From what we know its definitely a change in lifestyle. We know we'll have the best of both worlds an hour north and south of us with JAX & SAV (as far as city/retail environments are concerned).

Is there anything new coming to the surrounding area (i.e. housing/retail/etc). We've been doing our research and its hard to find a lot of up & coming's of the area.

Also, are there specific beach areas that are better than others on the island to check out or specific spots to check out during our visit?

Any advise would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2012, 07:10 PM

744 posts, read 2,481,397 times
I would try to read as many posts as I could by LovinDecatur or send them a PM. I believe they are a partime resident of SSI and really post some great info about the island. I love St.Simmons Island .It is one of my favorite places to visit. It is absolutely beautiful.

You may also want to check out online a magazine called Golden Isles . They have some interesting articles about the area and can be read online at www.goldenislesmagazine.com

Last edited by go falcons; 03-25-2012 at 07:18 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 03-26-2012, 08:44 AM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go falcons View Post
I would try to read as many posts as I could by LovinDecatur or send them a PM. I believe they are a partime resident of SSI and really post some great info about the island. I love St.Simmons Island .It is one of my favorite places to visit. It is absolutely beautiful.

You may also want to check out online a magazine called Golden Isles . They have some interesting articles about the area and can be read online at Golden Isles Magazine
Actually SSI is my primary residence now (hallelujah). The reason that the OP has had difficulty scoping out new development here is likely because there hasn't been any to speak of since 2008. The real estate bust hit us hard. What is your budget? I'd be happy to make some recommendations.

Old 04-03-2012, 04:25 PM

39 posts, read 110,688 times
I didn't live there but visited often and found it a nice place to go. The golden island area is a good place to live. Although there are not enough opportunities as in the city but its a pretty island especially light house is beautiful place to visit.

Last edited by ElkHunter; 04-05-2012 at 05:39 PM.. Reason: Removed Signature

Old 05-25-2012, 12:22 AM

1 posts, read 8,271 times
LovinDecatur, we are planning on relocating to a small coastal down with children between 4-6 that is within an hour of a major airport and it looks like SSI should be on my shortlist. Some colleagues are telling me that GA and SC get very hot and sticky during the summer and that I should look into NC instead. Would SSI have more moderate summers from being next to the ocean? I'm also considering Jekyll island but it does not seem to be as good for young children.

Old 05-26-2012, 06:39 AM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailspin70 View Post
LovinDecatur, we are planning on relocating to a small coastal down with children between 4-6 that is within an hour of a major airport and it looks like SSI should be on my shortlist. Some colleagues are telling me that GA and SC get very hot and sticky during the summer and that I should look into NC instead. Would SSI have more moderate summers from being next to the ocean? I'm also considering Jekyll island but it does not seem to be as good for young children.
As far as Jekyll goes, its a great place to get away from it all...but I wouldnt recommend it for day to day living. You would be driving to the mainland for groceries, kids activities, etc.
Theres no getting around it; from May to September, it is HOT here. On the other hand, the rest of the year is delightful. Moreover, I dont think theres going to be much relief from summer heat on coastal NC, either.
There are plenty of amenities here, including an excellent elementary school.

Last edited by Iconographer; 05-26-2012 at 07:15 AM..

Old 05-26-2012, 08:12 AM

16,683 posts, read 29,499,000 times
ohmygodlovethegoldenisles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia