U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 08:08 PM

9,188 posts, read 30,740,839 times

Advertisements

All suggestions are taken into account but a certain number of postings have to come in about cities before a completely new room is considered for them.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2012, 08:11 AM

128 posts, read 430,835 times
Add me to this list of people who would be interested in a forum dedicated to Athens. A friend recently moved there from Atlanta and LOVES it so much I've added it to my short list of places I'd consider moving.

Old 08-31-2012, 10:04 AM

1,837 posts, read 1,614,633 times
I agree that many people move in and out of Athens, but so much of it revolves around the university. I am guessing the number of people that move here as a lifestyle relocation is small.

We moved to the area from 2500 miles away and the students in my kids new school treated them like they were from a foreign land. When we meet new people, 100% of them assume we moved for university jobs. Our move had nothing to do with UGA and I think we are in a small minority of people who move here.

Old 08-31-2012, 12:37 PM

4,492 posts, read 6,361,597 times
I would guess that an Athens forum would have more posters than Macon. I would post in Athens quite a bit. Graduated from there twice . I'll be there in the morning for the game.

Old 09-03-2012, 04:31 AM

4,585 posts, read 11,125,441 times
I'd also like to see an Athens forum. I live in Jefferson and commute there for work and it's my major shopping area besides the outlets in Commerce.

Old 09-04-2012, 03:01 PM

688 posts, read 1,090,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listennow32 View Post
Macon has a subforum and it is actually ranked below Athens in overall city size.

Plus there are a ton of questions posted about moving the the Athens area

That's only because of Athens-Clarke Consolidated population; Macon actually city size proper is much larger than Athens..... Now even larger Since passing of Macon-Bibb Consolidation.

If you visited both cities it very obvious which is larger

ATHENS

MACON

Last edited by NewtownMacon; 09-04-2012 at 03:58 PM..

Old 09-04-2012, 03:24 PM

688 posts, read 1,090,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listennow32 View Post
I posted initially, because I frequent the Atlanta forum and I find that Athens questions appear fairly frequently. Also I believe that in regards to the forum, it would be the "build it and they will come" effect. Once one existed, I'm positive we'd see an uptick in Athens related topics. Granted, Macon is bigger, but then again its Macon. On a national scale, I feel that Athens has more notoriety due to its presence in both college football and the music scene. I'm curious to see what would occur if there was a pilot test to see how much traffic that forum would generate.
Macon has more of a Music Back ground than Athens, there are a lot famous musicians who came out Macon such as the Allmans brothers, Little Richard, Otis Redding and more; UGA is about the only thing Athens is known for, THAT ALL!!! Macon has for years carried Notoriety along with Savannah, Augusta and Columbus as major city in Ga and Industrial Hub in SE along with many others factors..... The only reason Athens has began to show up on the list among Ga's 2nd tier cities is because of its City-county consolidation; theirs about 3 or more other cities ranked below Athens that are actually larger than Athens Proper; such as Albany (pop 80K), Warner Robins (pop 70K) and Valdosta (pop 60K). If Athens was not consolidated it's pop would be around 40-50K. probably ranking it at # 10 or 11th largest or probably lower if you include the Sandy spring, Roswell, and John Creek in the rankings.

Old 11-04-2012, 06:03 PM

35 posts, read 51,224 times
I'd love to see Athens get a sub-forum for related area topics. BTW Athens-Clarke County, and the Oconee County area (150-180K est. together) have landed a fairly significant couple of economic developments. One is called Epps Bridge Centre, which will include (rumors for now) a P.F. Chang's, Dick's Sporting Goods, a new Best Buy, a Pier One, and so forth. Most are new national companies for the area. Also now being built is a Caterpillar plant which will employ about 1800 jobs. Add on top of that the continuation of UGA housing developments, and misc. projects here and there and really Athens is growing pretty well for its "fledgling" size of population.

Athens' construction "boom"...
New Steak and Shake on Broad ST

CAT Plant in Oconee/Athens-Clarke County

Epps Bridge Centre complex

The above is about one year of developments in the Athens area

Old 11-04-2012, 07:39 PM

1,837 posts, read 1,614,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brenn21 View Post
I'd love to see Athens get a sub-forum for related area topics. BTW Athens-Clarke County, and the Oconee County area (150-180K est. together) have landed a fairly significant couple of economic developments. One is called Epps Bridge Centre, which will include (rumors for now) a P.F. Chang's, Dick's Sporting Goods, a new Best Buy, a Pier One, and so forth. Most are new national companies for the area. Also now being built is a Caterpillar plant which will employ about 1800 jobs. Add on top of that the continuation of UGA housing developments, and misc. projects here and there and really Athens is growing pretty well for its "fledgling" size of population.
Now if only we got a Costco, I would get very excited.

Old 11-05-2012, 03:26 PM

1,474 posts, read 3,163,356 times
Columbus, GA has no Costco. Except for Augusta, all of the Costcos are in the Atlanta region including Alpharetta, Kennesaw and Ringold. I doubt Athens has any future with Costco all things considered.

Make no mistake, Athens Clarke County is about the university. Period. The Catepillar plant is in adjacent Oconee County which is a bedroom county for ACC. The heart beat is UGA.

And I do live here in Athens since 1966 and off/on til 1994 when moved back permanently. Athens has issues with crime, poverty, some gang activity etc. But it is a hub for youth due to the university and everything mostly caters to that group.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or