U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 08:31 AM

3,669 posts, read 5,369,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
GA is amateur hour compared to the following states (in no specific order):

- Illinois
- Louisiana
- Rhode Island
- New Jersey
- New York
- Massachusetts
- Nevada
No in those states they actually catch the law breakers and prosecute them. I think almost all states are equal in their amount of corruption, the difference is the states where the perps are actually prosecuted.

For example when I lived in Kentucky there was a scandal involving the new governor about non-political jobs which you can't be fired from when a new party moves in. They were fired anyway, there is an investigation and a cover up. It's always the cover up that puts people in jail, well the governor pardoned the people before the trial....That led to another big mess can he do that? They hadn't even been convicted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2012, 10:01 AM

7,861 posts, read 15,205,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
No in those states they actually catch the law breakers and prosecute them. I think almost all states are equal in their amount of corruption, the difference is the states where the perps are actually prosecuted.
And your belief is that the US Attorneys for Georgia are incompetent? The FBI agents in Georgia are incompetent compared to elsewhere? The GBI and other state and local law enforcement are incompetent? Are they all on the take?

What proof do you have that all this corruption exists here that is going un-prosecuted by the incompetent officials here? Please share and maybe you could win some kind of civic award.

Old 06-08-2012, 11:38 PM

130 posts, read 207,736 times
With all due respect,I think you took what Bell said way out of proportion. First off if your comfortable with believing corruption is handled like its supposed to be in Georgia more power to you if you believe that, God bless you. Corruption is everywhere I saw how you tried to point out how other states were far more corrupt than ours well that may be true but I understand what Bell's trying to say alot of what happens here its one of those things that on the outside may seem relatively small but when in fact it is much more bigger than what it may seem. I'm not gonna sit here and say that the GBI and other state and local law enforcement agencies are all corrupt I'd be lying but I can tell you from experience dealing with local law enforcement it's all who you know and if your not plugged in to that network your more likely to suffer you don't have to take my word for it I'm not the only one saying this, this type of thing has been here long before I got here and will still be a problem long after I'm gone but there is a pretty significant problem. However not every person in law enforcement is corrupt but like the old heads used to tell me all it takes is for a few people to mess it for everybody same can go for a reputation of a local or state agency but thats something for a different day. Far as on a state level corruption isn't really handled the way it should be but once again its just a sign of the times this is nothing new.

Old 06-09-2012, 09:50 AM

Quote:
And your belief is that the US Attorneys for Georgia are incompetent? The FBI agents in Georgia are incompetent compared to elsewhere? The GBI and other state and local law enforcement are incompetent? Are they all on the take?

What proof do you have that all this corruption exists here that is going un-prosecuted by the incompetent officials here? Please share and maybe you could win some kind of civic award.
The FBI doesn't investigate corruption anymore, they target terrorism...The GBI is controlled by the guys in charge, investigate them and your funding dries up..

Old 06-09-2012, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
The FBI doesn't investigate corruption anymore, they target terrorism...The GBI is controlled by the guys in charge, investigate them and your funding dries up..
You don't have the foggiest idea what you're talking about. The GBI does not investigate violations of federal law. The FBI does, in addition to their duties with regard to espionage and terrorism.

You can have your own opinion, but you cannot make up your own facts. The fact that you even make that statement says volumes.

Old 06-10-2012, 03:08 AM

18 posts, read 33,717 times
No chance in hell that they have Illinois beat. I also read that North Dakota takes the cake, because their lack of politicians means even one corrupt one could kill the stats for the entire state. That is of course if you are only speaking about politicians, as far as police, etc goes, I have no idea what Ga is like.

Old 06-10-2012, 02:40 PM

Quote:
You don't have the foggiest idea what you're talking about. The GBI does not investigate violations of federal law. The FBI does, in addition to their duties with regard to espionage and terrorism.

You can have your own opinion, but you cannot make up your own facts. The fact that you even make that statement says volumes.
First the FBI, their full focus for the last 10 years since 9/11 has been anti-terrorism, they will for their part do a token amount of government corruption investigations but only when it looks good for them or their political masters tell them to do it.

The GBI handles all local and state investigations, "Prince Otis" oops meant mayer Otis here in Savannah wanted the GBI to investigate a leak about the city manager's credit report. The GBI refused because it was a political witch hunt.

Georgia Bureau of Investigation - About Us

Here is there mission statement reading into it they were formed to move investigations beyond local government and to introduce more advanced techniques.

If you really want to see how the best show ever on government, drugs, police, corruption then watch the wire...

Old 06-10-2012, 05:43 PM

The FBI can walk and chew gum at the same time and are the investigative arm for the US Attorney's office. You're just making things up and reaching for tin foil hats. I guess I'm done here too if we're just go around in conspiracy theory circles.

Here's the most recent local political corruption story, a Republican from Gwinnet County...investingated by the US Attorney for Northern GA and the FBI:

http://www.justice.gov/usao/gan/pres.../05-31-12.html

“Today’s guilty pleas are part of an on-going effort to root out public corruption in Gwinnett County,” said U.S. Attorney Sally Yates. “The citizens of Gwinnett County have a right to elected officials who serve the public. Instead, these defendants used the office of a County Commissioner to line their pockets by taking payoffs from individuals whom they believed to be drug traffickers. These defendants broke the public trust and the law. We will continue to aggressively pursue corrupt public officials and those who conspire with them.

Brian D. Lamkin, Special Agent in Charge, FBI Atlanta Field Office, stated: "Today's guilty pleas are the culmination of an extensive investigation by the FBI and demonstrates the FBI's commitment toward such public corruption investigations, to include those involving elected officials. Anyone with information regarding public corruption activities are urged to contact their nearest FBI field office.""

Also, see their website:

FBI — What We Investigate

4. Public Corruption
- Government Fraud
- Election Fraud
- Foreign Corrupt Practices

It’s our top priority among criminal investigations—and for good reason.
Public corruption poses a fundamental threat to our national security and way of life. It impacts everything from how well our borders are secured and our neighborhoods protected…to verdicts handed down in courts…to the quality of our roads, schools, and other government services. And it takes a significant toll on our pocketbooks, wasting billions in tax dollars every year.
The FBI is singularly situated to combat this corruption, with the skills and capabilities to run complex undercover operations and surveillance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or