U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2012, 12:23 PM

14 posts, read 46,582 times

Advertisements

Anyone has any advise or suggestions about this area or the sorrounding areas? We have a 4 yr old and we're looking into moving by summer of 2013. Are the people around there liberal? Is there an are where they have more same sex households with kids?
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 06:03 PM

235 posts, read 611,922 times
People are ignorant everywhere you look...Alpharetta has its share, but it's a great place to live and raise children. The schools are great, there's plenty to do and housing has gotten quite reasonable.

We lived in an apartment in Alpharetta when we moved to the Atlanta area and loved it. I work on the south side and the commute was getting old...not so much the commute as the hours I had to work to make the commute bearable.

Good luck with your search.

Old 06-01-2012, 05:53 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,497,642 times
Alpharetta is a very nice upscale suburb.
For some reason it draws in Floridians like a magnet.
I don't know why that is.
I moved there from miami and I hated it. Nice place if you are raising kids but that's not what I was looking to do. In fact, that was my number one complaint... the place was teeming with brats and all the accompanying kiddie stuff like karate dojos and those pre-school things. Ugh

I'd hate it even more now that it's a lot more congested and built up.

It's not a politically liberal area, no. The burbs are very conservative. And for that matter even in town, a lot of people who vote democratic wouldn't support something like same sex marriage. Hopefully minds will start changing now that president obama has made his statement publicly.

As for finding same sex couples, I lived there for a few years and didn't meet any with children or otherwise. That doesn't mean there aren't any, just that I never met them and obviously some may have moved there in the 10 or so years since I moved from there.

Old 06-01-2012, 06:24 PM

3,972 posts, read 11,278,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manilie View Post
Anyone has any advise or suggestions about this area or the sorrounding areas? We have a 4 yr old and we're looking into moving by summer of 2013. Are the people around there liberal? Is there an are where they have more same sex households with kids?
Where will you be working? That should drive where you live. Why Alpharetta?

No, Alpharetta won't have any area with more same sex couples than any other area in Alpharetta. While there may be a few, there won't be many. It isn't liberal at all.

Old 06-01-2012, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post
Alpharetta is a very nice upscale suburb.
For some reason it draws in Floridians like a magnet.
I don't know why that is.
I moved there from miami and I hated it. Nice place if you are raising kids but that's not what I was looking to do. In fact, that was my number one complaint... the place was teeming with brats and all the accompanying kiddie stuff like karate dojos and those pre-school things. Ugh

I'd hate it even more now that it's a lot more congested and built up.

It's not a politically liberal area, no. The burbs are very conservative. And for that matter even in town, a lot of people who vote democratic wouldn't support something like same sex marriage. Hopefully minds will start changing now that president obama has made his statement publicly.

As for finding same sex couples, I lived there for a few years and didn't meet any with children or otherwise. That doesn't mean there aren't any, just that I never met them and obviously some may have moved there in the 10 or so years since I moved from there.
Someone I work with now told me her sister moved there and they all love it. We are hispanics and I also hear that Allharetta has its share of Hispanics. We are not an out there couple but I am concern about my child once he is in elementary. I know CA is totally liberal and wanted to know if some areas near ATL were.
I also hear that Sandy Springs and Rosewell are great areas.
Thank you for info

Old 06-01-2012, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
Where will you be working? That should drive where you live. Why Alpharetta?

No, Alpharetta won't have any area with more same sex couples than any other area in Alpharetta. While there may be a few, there won't be many. It isn't liberal at all.
We don't have jobs yet, but I'm looking for the area I believe I would like and we will be visiting this August to see properties and then we can start from there and apply near the areas we like.

Old 06-01-2012, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gapowermike View Post
People are ignorant everywhere you look...Alpharetta has its share, but it's a great place to live and raise children. The schools are great, there's plenty to do and housing has gotten quite reasonable.

We lived in an apartment in Alpharetta when we moved to the Atlanta area and loved it. I work on the south side and the commute was getting old...not so much the commute as the hours I had to work to make the commute bearable.

Good luck with your search.
Thank you, we are continuing our search and will be visiting this August.

Old 06-02-2012, 10:07 AM

2,117 posts, read 5,497,642 times
Quote:
Someone I work with now told me her sister moved there and they all love it.
+++ You know, I think close to all of the people that move to GA from FL, did so because they heard from a friend that the friend's relative lives here and loves it. You're doing the right thing by doing your homework first.

If there are some things to love about alpharetta, I'm not entirely sure what those might be. It used to feel more like a small hometown with a main street. I was actually looking to open a store right there on the main street but decided to do it elsewhere instead. But now it's all built up and it's more like an "edge city" than a small hometown. Every wooded parcel was bulldozed to make room for office parks, shopping centers, big box stores and subdivisions and that really wasn't my thing.

It's pretty far from atlanta with only sporadic bus schedules and bad traffic and atlanta's worst drivers. Makes sense cuz a lot of them came from florida. There aren't a whole lot of good restaurants in alpharetta and there isn't any nightlife to be had unless you consider applebees or similar neighborhood b&g to be nightlife. There really isn't a whole lot to do recreation-wise and before it was all annexed, stuff like police and fire was out of Fulton county and you'd call 9-1-1 and nobody would answer the phone. It may still be like that, I don't know.

I think the tipping point for me was one night I was coming home late at night and drove through the city limits of alpharetta and the police (alpharetta pd) parked a car in the middle of the road with the blinkers on to make it look broken down. I assumed it was broken down and so naturally I passed it by crossing the double yellow line. I had no choice. Two seconds later, I get pulled over for driving on the wrong side of the road and ticketed and that's a nasty nasty thing to have on your driving record. That charge made it difficult to get insurance for several years.

Quote:
We are hispanics and I also hear that Allharetta has its share of Hispanics.
+++ Metro Atlanta has a fairly large number of hispanics. I never thought that after I moved here, I'd still be able to use my spanish on a daily basis. A lot of ignorant people like to assume that everyone's Mexican and a non-citizen. If you flip through the pages of posts in the GA and ATL forums you will no doubt see what I'm talking about. There's also a lot of people from South America and Brazil. Africa too. I've also met a number of Haitians. The metro area is very diverse.

Quote:
We are not an out there couple but I am concern about my child once he is in elementary.
+++ You could run into problems anywhere though.
What you might also want to do is compare hate crime legislation to see where you're best protected from bullies.

Quote:
I know CA is totally liberal and wanted to know if some areas near ATL were.
+++ This is a common misconception. More liberal, yes. Totally liberal, absolutely not. There are still lots of hateful people there. Remember prop H8?
In fact, I overheard a conversation in california not long ago where the people were saying how it should be ok to call people the "f" word (not the 4 letter word, the other one) and to "beat the **** out of them". This was L.A. too. I've never heard anyone say anything like that here in GA.

I think you'll find more accepting people there however but there is no guarantee you won't run into discrimination there. Or anywhere else for that matter.

A few weeks ago, I was at the Mall of GA and I was behind a car that had a giant sticker that proclaimed "We Support Marriage Equality".
So there are surprises everywhere. I didn't want to make it seem like I was painting the entire atlanta area as unaccepting. You may however find Decatur and Midtown a little more accepting as these are more liberal areas. But I understand that urban living ain't for everyone.

Quote:
I also hear that Sandy Springs and Rosewell are great areas.
Thank you for info
+++Sandy Springs is nice but Roswell is like an alpharetta was only 15 years earlier IMO. The closer in you go, generally speaking, the more expensive the housing.

Quote:
We don't have jobs yet, but I'm looking for the area I believe I would like and we will be visiting this August to see properties and then we can start from there and apply near the areas we like.
+++ That makes sense but remember that unemployment is very high here and I know of quite a few people with 4 year degrees and decades of experience and they are having a tough time finding work or anything more than temporary gigs. I would suggest deciding on an area THEN securing employment, THEN and ONLY THEN, buy or rent your home.

Old 06-02-2012, 02:09 PM

143 posts, read 335,124 times
Quote:
The area isn't liberal thank god, but no one is going to care what you and your partner do or if you have a kid.

Old 06-03-2012, 08:32 AM

1,039 posts, read 2,102,576 times
Already repeating what someone else posted: definitely secure a job here before moving.

Alpharetta is a great place to move to for anyone with kids. It is way more conservative than liberal, overall. There is no uniform political belief, of course, you can find people in Alpharetta with different types of political leanings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or