U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 09:51 AM

1,755 posts, read 5,131,489 times

Advertisements

I'm tired of people moving here, especially the one's that move here and then complain it's not like 'so and so'. Seems like we've done a good job making Georgia an attractive place, but then people want to come here and change it.

It's grown too fast for most of the infrastructure to keep up with it and most people don't realize that, they just complain. I'd also say most of metro-Atlanta has lost its Southern identity

Seems like our latest issue is the water supply, Army Corps are trying to figure out how we're supposed to have drinking water for the next 2 million people that are supposed to move here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2007, 11:03 AM

201 posts, read 1,027,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
I know what *I* would do...

Put a ban on all new apartment and condo construction for years in the immediate metro area.

Immediately fund more transit options. Light rail, heavy rail expansion, commuter rail, as well as key new roads where they're really needed.

Have dedicated departments throughout the metro area whos sole job is to make sure traffic signals are timed correctly, greatly reducing bottlenecks.

Require metro gas stations to provide alternate fuels for cars such as bio diesel, ethanol, methanol, etc.

That's more of a fantasy than stuff that would actually happen, I mean, it makes sense so that immediately knocks the ideas out of the ballpark.
Atlanta Greg -- you always have great, direct, blunt, logical, sensible, honest feasible solutions/answers. It would be great if you were the mayor. Maybe more than a fantasy, but wish they could be implemented. Are there any suggestion boxes where the above-mentioned could be put or would these suggestions fall on deaf ears?

Old 09-24-2007, 11:56 AM

483 posts, read 1,944,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janette moss View Post
Are there any suggestion boxes where the above-mentioned could be put or would these suggestions fall on deaf ears?
Legislators here, just like everywhere else, listen to nothing but the rustle of small, green rectangles. Preferably in large denominations.

Old 09-24-2007, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt6974a View Post
I'm tired of people moving here, especially the one's that move here and then complain it's not like 'so and so'. Seems like we've done a good job making Georgia an attractive place, but then people want to come here and change it.

It's grown too fast for most of the infrastructure to keep up with it and most people don't realize that, they just complain. I'd also say most of metro-Atlanta has lost its Southern identity

Seems like our latest issue is the water supply, Army Corps are trying to figure out how we're supposed to have drinking water for the next 2 million people that are supposed to move here.
Of the complaints, what sticks out in your mind the most and what do the "outsiders that came on the inside" want to change? Georgia is beautiful! YOU ARE JUST KEEPING IT REAL!!!

Old 09-24-2007, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irvm View Post
Legislators here, just like everywhere else, listen to nothing but the rustle of small, green rectangles. Preferably in large denominations.
It's a shame, but the truth! Well put. Taxpayers pay for what they don't see -- changes that are needed. But the price of taxes continue to climb and for what!

Old 09-25-2007, 08:58 AM

483 posts, read 1,944,622 times
Quote:
I know what *I* would do...
Put a ban on all new apartment and condo construction for years in the immediate metro area.
Clearly, atlantagreg is not a politician.
Every time a graceful old home is bulldozed and replaced by boxy apartments or condos,
the tax base increases. Politicians just LOOVE taxes.

Quote:
Immediately fund more transit options. Light rail, heavy rail expansion, commuter rail, as well as key new roads where they're really needed.
Remember the 'outer perimeter' highway?
Remember how our 'public servants' bought up all that cheap rural land expecting to make a killing when the new highway went thru, and how mad they were when it didn't get built because everybody realized it wouldn't help traffic at all?

To be useful, any form of mass transit would have to run thru heavily-populated areas. Cheap land is no longer available in those areas. No profit, no transit.

Old 09-25-2007, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irvm View Post
Clearly, atlantagreg is not a politician.
Every time a graceful old home is bulldozed and replaced by boxy apartments or condos,
the tax base increases. Politicians just LOOVE taxes.

Remember the 'outer perimeter' highway?
Remember how our 'public servants' bought up all that cheap rural land expecting to make a killing when the new highway went thru, and how mad they were when it didn't get built because everybody realized it wouldn't help traffic at all?

To be useful, any form of mass transit would have to run thru heavily-populated areas. Cheap land is no longer available in those areas. No profit, no transit.
Point well taken. I'll remove Atlantagreg from my "imaginary ballot" as a candidate for a politician, but I will give him his "props" as a voice of reason on the City Data Forum. I like how you broke down and analyzed the reasoning of the reply. Therefore, I think you would be a good one to word "election ballots". I'm not impressionable, but I am intrigued when it comes to intellect. What I think does not validate either one of you, but you both have great point of views from both sides of the "tracks".

Old 09-25-2007, 11:23 PM

9,188 posts, read 30,890,866 times
Quote:
Point well taken. I'll remove Atlantagreg from my "imaginary ballot" as a candidate for a politician, but I will give him his "props" as a voice of reason on the City Data Forum. I like how you broke down and analyzed the reasoning of the reply. Therefore, I think you would be a good one to word "election ballots". I'm not impressionable, but I am intrigued when it comes to intellect. What I think does not validate either one of you, but you both have great point of views from both sides of the "tracks".

Hey, who says I wanna be a polititian? I just want to rule the world!

Old 09-26-2007, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Hey, who says I wanna be a polititian? I just want to rule the world!
That's funny!!!!!!!!!! City-Data-Forum is a good start. You may never reach the United Nations or Columbia University to speak, but at least this forum is nationwide and "your voice can be read" so that your opinion is known. It's the only one that counts since you want to rule the world! That was some icon!

Last edited by janette moss; 09-26-2007 at 12:40 AM.. Reason: take out a double word

Old 09-26-2007, 09:00 AM

1,755 posts, read 5,131,489 times
Quote:
Of the complaints, what sticks out in your mind the most and what do the "outsiders that came on the inside" want to change? Georgia is beautiful! YOU ARE JUST KEEPING IT REAL!!!

I could go on for days but most of my complaints I can't mention b/c they will be deleted. This board is just way too P/C, much like politics in the metro Atlanta and pandering to the b/s p/c.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or