U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Atlanta suburbs: surrounding areas crime, community, travel around Georgia, certified home inspector

Old 09-22-2007, 10:41 PM

11 posts, read 15,868 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My Fiance and I are thinking about moving from Scottsdale, AZ to the suburbs of Atlanta, GA. Has anyone out there done this and if so how has it worked out? We will be looking to spend about 300k on a house and we will be working on Power Ferrys Road NW......

Any information (crime/saftey, schools, commute, community) on some surrounding areas (Cherokee County, Marietta, Roswell, Alpharetta) will be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2007, 11:36 PM

177 posts, read 913,934 times
Wishing you the VERY best of luck in your possible move.

My husband and I moved from quite near Scottsdale to Georgia five years ago and have been thrilled. We only wish we had made the move sooner.

We settled in the Piedmont area, south of Atlanta in a small rural area. This is quite a ways away from where you're talking about settling (and an altogether different lifestyle) so can't offer you any advice on living arrangements.

People on this list will be able to give you info on possible areas for living given where you plan on working. They can also give you ideas on great places to simply explore.

If you decide to make the move, my advice on purchasing a home in Georgia is: to have a home inspection by a certified home inspector and have it written into your contract REGARDLESS of whether an inspection is included by law. I would also suggest that you ask a home inspector for a copy of one of his/her reports (with name and address blacked out) so you can see what you'd be getting in terms of a report before you sign up with them. The report should be indepth on everything. I don't mean to imply that housing in Georgia is in any way inferior, just that when you're new in town and unfamilar with builders it pays to be safe.

If you go ahead with your move my advice for living in Georgia is to TRAVEL, TRAVEL, TRAVEL to all the small towns. This state is REALLY great. No kidding. We think that Georgia has so much to offer: mountains, beaches, piedmont, etc. We've found the folks in Georgia to be very friendly.

We're out and about to small towns all the time. When we lived in AZ we always spent our vacations flying away to somewhere else (especially as AZ became more developed and crowded). Now we spend our vacations and weekends exploring Georgia.

If you have any spare cash, travel around Georgia and find a place to buy land for an eventually weekend or vacation place.

You may not find ALL the amenities you're used to in terms of shopping and restaurants, but if you get out and about and do some exploring I think you'll find the state and people so interesting that you'll be happy with your move.

zebbie

PS Georgia just had THE hottest summer they've expeienced for years...it was hot, but not compared to AZ. The other four years we've been here it hasn't been that hot. Chatting outside at noon in July is not something I'd generally do in AZ (unless we were in the pool). The weather constantly changes here and that's great!

Old 09-23-2007, 04:43 PM

1 posts, read 2,031 times
Hi,
Im also considering making the big move to Atlanta. I've lived in london all my life, it's a nice place to live but its really expensive. Im now looking for more affordable living, Im 24 and near the end of my nursing degree course so I hope to work as a Nurse in Atlanta. Could anyone inform me of the areas that are good for first timers like myself.

Thanks

Old 09-24-2007, 08:38 AM

177 posts, read 913,934 times
shez,

If you want to, you could start a new thread something like, "nurse moving to Georgia" (or however you want to word it) and I'll bet you'd get a lot of information that could help you in making a decision.

The AZ to Georgia folks that posted this thread already know where they're going to be working.

If you also know where you'd be working, then your questions and the responding answers could be more geared to YOUR situation (where to live if you're going to work at XYZ hospital) If you don't know where you'd be working, then you might get a lot of interesting ideas for WHERE you could work (I've seen suggestions for nurses on other threads on the Georgia city-data forum)

I hope you understand that I'm only suggesting you start a new thread, that's aimed at YOU to maximize YOUR chances of getting the kind of information you want.

I dont know anything about working in a hospital, but as a patient, I'll tell you that "the feel" of Emory from a patient's standpoint is GREAT. It reminds me a lot of the "feel" of the Mayo clinic in Scottsdale. From what **I've** experienced at Emory, the nurses and docs do NOT appear to be rushed as I've seen in other hospitals.

All the very best,
zebbie

PS, if you don't have a specific reason for moving to ATLANTA (i.e., a specific hospital, friends in Atlanta, etc) there are a lot of other places for nurses to work and live in Georgia. You might be surprised that a lot of areas OUTSIDE of Atlanta remind my husband and me of some of the nicer parts of rural England.

Old 09-24-2007, 11:52 AM

483 posts, read 1,948,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shez View Post
Hi,
Im also considering making the big move to Atlanta. I've lived in london all my life, it's a nice place to live but its really expensive. Im now looking for more affordable living, Im 24 and near the end of my nursing degree course so I hope to work as a Nurse in Atlanta. Could anyone inform me of the areas that are good for first timers like myself.

Thanks
Please look outside Atlanta. To the north, primarily.
That area is rapidly filling with people from other states, a large percentage of whom are retirees. They move here for the scenery, safety, and nice weather. They need health care, so there are new, well-equipped hospitals being built all over the area. Jobs should be available.

Using our local hospital as an example, you could live in an apartment or condo only a 2 or 3 minute walk away, or drive 5 miles and live on a farm, with your own horses. Doctors I've met so far are from Africa, India, Pakistan, Mexico, etc. if diversity is a concern.

I've talked with a few people from England. They had no intention of ever going back.
If you have specific questions, PM me, I'll try to get the answers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia