Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 06:48 PM

9 posts, read 18,292 times

Advertisements

Thanks so much for the positive responses.

Deeda9999 Congrats on your move! We are moving end of July. Going crazy trying to get everything ready, but we are so excited. If you have time keep me updated on your move, and I'll do the same. We'll be renting there at first, just want to get a feel for the area before we make such a big decision to buy. Our kids are much younger 3 and 1 but maybe in a couple years yours can babysit for us. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2012, 11:28 AM

107 posts, read 187,900 times
I just applied for a job in Alpharetta at Northside Hospital. It is for a Certified Surgical Technologist. I am looking to move there from Michigan. Hopefully it all works out. I have wanted to move south for a long time. My dad and brother live in Statesboro GA. I would be moving with my husband and my 11 year old son. My daughter (16) wants to stay here in Michigan with her dad. So can anyone the going rate is for a rental unit? I am not in the market to purchase a house. We enjoy renting, so any information I could get in regards to that would be great. Thank you. Michelle

Old 01-14-2013, 10:36 AM

2 posts, read 2,589 times
Default Posible Li transplant to GA

Hi ladies. I too am from LI, currently Smithtown. I am considering the move to Alpharetta. I feel like I will miss the beaches, and city access to museums , zoos as well as long island great arboretums and parks. I have 3 young kids ages 2, 5 and 6. Will there be as much to do? How do you feel about the move, please be honest. THanks!

Old 01-14-2013, 10:49 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,002,846 times
Atlanta has a World Class Aquarium, Zoo, Children Art center, Many Museums, music places....

It will be easier and faster to get into Atlanta (on weekends) then to go to NYC from Smithtown.

Go to AJC.com and click on the Access Atlanta tab and you can filter all the activites for kids.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:59 AM

255 posts, read 464,122 times
Yes, I agree. I'm a native Atlantan....and we're a rare bird. You'll probably find a lot more Yankees in your subdivision than Southerners.

Traffic is a nightmare from the Roswell/Alpharetta area, but not from the perspective of someone from Long Island. Your commute will likely be half of what it is today. One thing I have found however, is that everyone seems to concentrate on commute times on Ga. 400. They seem to forget that you have to GET to Ga. 400 and that's a lot easier said than done.

I live in Roswell (just south of Alpharetta). Two of my co-workers also live in Roswell. But I can see Ga 400 from my back yard. I walk to within yards of the entrance to Ga 400 on my nightly walk. It takes me about 40 minutes to commute to work downtown near the state capitol. My two co-workers live about 4 miles from me and get on Ga. 400 at the same entrance. It takes them roughly double the time it takes me. They tell me it takes a half hour to GET TO Ga. 400.

One other nice note, you'll probably be able to get an absolutely huge, beautiful home for half what you sold your Long Island 60 year old 3 bdrm 1800 sq ft ranch for.

Old 01-19-2013, 09:46 AM

68 posts, read 134,140 times
GA has plenty of lakes so you if you enjoy boating, check out Lake Allatoona, Lake Spivey, and Lake Lanier. Not to mention the coast is only 4 hours away and you can access FL pretty easily as well. I'm sure you will enjoy the warmer winters, but the summers might be a bit rough until you adjust to the humidity. And as others have stated, ATL is full of NY transplants so I'm sure making friends will not be a problem.

Old 01-25-2013, 04:48 PM

1 posts, read 1,055 times
I was wondering if you made the move, if so how did it go? My husband and I are looking to leave Nassau County and move to Alpharetta at the end of the summer. We are both young professionals, late 20's and early 30's looking to start a family soon. We are worried about moving away from everyone we know, and were wondering how you felt the area was in regards to friendliness. Please anyone let me know! Also, I read that there is a large transplant community in Alpharetta, what are the chances of finding some Jets and Mets fans?

Old 01-25-2013, 04:54 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,002,846 times
Yes Large number Transplant.
Yes you will find jets and mets fans
Yes the school in Alpharetta are good/great

Check out book Reloville bit dated now but give your a idea...

Old 02-04-2013, 07:15 AM

68 posts, read 134,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by super2bamy View Post
Hi ladies. I too am from LI, currently Smithtown. I am considering the move to Alpharetta. I feel like I will miss the beaches, and city access to museums , zoos as well as long island great arboretums and parks. I have 3 young kids ages 2, 5 and 6. Will there be as much to do? How do you feel about the move, please be honest. THanks!

Ummm yeah we have a Museum, zoo, aquarium, parks, etc. It's not like NYC is the center of the universe. And you wonder why Yankees get a bad rep...for comments like that.

Old 02-09-2015, 12:01 PM

10 posts, read 19,089 times
Dear all,
My husband and I live in Smithtown, NY and are looking to relocate to Alpharetta, GA. We have three boys (age 14, 11, 9). I have a job offer pending with full relocation benefits. We have no family left in NY, they all moved down south. Can anyone share the positives or negatives who has done this move from Long Island? Thanks,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia