Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 10:51 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,377,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsmith15 View Post
That is not true. People are asking for opinions. I had negative experiences in Canton and therefore have a negative opinion about Canton. Is it better to lie to people who are asking for information?
I think it'd be best to define exactly where "in Canton" you were living- there's a big difference between the crime, drug use, and "white trash" (your words) three blocks from downtown and the same in the areas around the newer development.

We're in Harmony on the Lakes in Holly Springs (though our mailing address is Canton), and there have been zero problems there. We don't tend to spend much time (if any) in some of the so-so areas of town (near downtown and around the north end of Marietta Highway), and there's no need to. Saying that there's "a drug problem in Canton" is like saying that there's "a drug problem in Manhattan".....

Bob
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2007, 12:48 PM

136 posts, read 478,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Saying that there's "a drug problem in Canton" is like saying that there's "a drug problem in Manhattan".....
Bob
Not it's not the same. In Manhattan you expect an inner city environment. I was living in a rural part of north Canton in a subdivision of custom homes on minumum 5 acre lots not anywhere near downtown Canton. I would hardly expect that to be similiar to Manhattan.

Old 09-26-2007, 12:50 PM

Quote:
the crime, drug use, and "white trash" (your words)
Do you find something offensive about those words?

Old 09-26-2007, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Do you find something offensive about those words?
Actually, I do- they make it sound like it's OK to be trash if you're other than white, and but if you're white, it's not. The more correct term would have just been "trashy neighbors", with no need to differentiate them by their color.

Bob

Old 09-26-2007, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Not it's not the same. In Manhattan you expect an inner city environment. I was living in a rural part of north Canton in a subdivision of custom homes on minumum 5 acre lots not anywhere near downtown Canton. I would hardly expect that to be similiar to Manhattan.
So you had "an inner city environment" of drugs and crime in a 5-acre rural neighborhood? Sounds pretty odd to me. I'm thinking something's being blown way out of proportion here, or you don't know what a "drug and crime problem" is.

Bob

Old 09-27-2007, 12:29 AM

11 posts, read 53,427 times
Wow---Didn't expect to find WW3! But I do appreciate the info.

We are looking at Woodmont, and that zip seems to have a low crime rate. I live in Huntsville, AL at the moment, and what you say is true about WHERE you are in the town! We did have a break-in in our house, which is in an upscale and low crime rate area.

I was wondering if there were any other "caveats" about which I should be aware. I looked at the school ratings and they looked good, too. I don't have any kids in school, but it's still important for resale value. Thanks!

Old 09-27-2007, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Actually, I do- they make it sound like it's OK to be trash if you're other than white, and but if you're white, it's not. The more correct term would have just been "trashy neighbors", with no need to differentiate them by their color.

Bob
The problems I experienced were with caucasions. They had no morals or sense of right or wrong and I do consider them to be white trash. I found Cherokee to be a very racist county and most residents automatically assume that all crimes are committed by minorities so I learned to make it clear that this was being done by good old white boys and gals.

Old 09-27-2007, 06:09 AM

Quote:
So you had "an inner city environment" of drugs and crime in a 5-acre rural neighborhood? Sounds pretty odd to me. I'm thinking something's being blown way out of proportion here, or you don't know what a "drug and crime problem" is.

Bob
Oh good grief, you sound very ignorant to me.

A drug and crime problem is when your neighbors are doing meth and stalking their single, female neighbor and attacking and beating her animals while she is at work and said single female has to purchase a gun in order to keep the meth addicts off of her and has to sell her house because law enforcement will not do a thing.

There are other incidents, but if you do not think the above is a problem than you have a serious problem with morals.

Old 09-27-2007, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarySB View Post
Wow---Didn't expect to find WW3! But I do appreciate the info.

We are looking at Woodmont, and that zip seems to have a low crime rate. I live in Huntsville, AL at the moment, and what you say is true about WHERE you are in the town! We did have a break-in in our house, which is in an upscale and low crime rate area.

I was wondering if there were any other "caveats" about which I should be aware. I looked at the school ratings and they looked good, too. I don't have any kids in school, but it's still important for resale value. Thanks!
No worries. I don't understand why some people take this so personally and get so upset about it. It is the truth and I sure wish someone had given me a heads up but when I moved there but internet was not nearly as prevalent at that time. Also, when I said upper end subdivision I did not mean that if someone cannot afford it they are trash. What I meant is that law enforcement tends to be much more responsive to complaints or crime reports in those areas thereby keeping them crime free.

Old 09-27-2007, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Oh good grief, you sound very ignorant to me.

A drug and crime problem is when your neighbors are doing meth and stalking their single, female neighbor and attacking and beating her animals while she is at work and said single female has to purchase a gun in order to keep the meth addicts off of her and has to sell her house because law enforcement will not do a thing.

There are other incidents, but if you do not think the above is a problem than you have a serious problem with morals.
Not ignorant at all, and I have no problem whatsoever with morals and what's right and wrong. However, the fact that one woman had problems with one of her neighbors being meth-heads does not constitute a "drug and crime problem in Canton"- that situation could happen in any city in any state, in a rural, suburban or urban environment.

To come onto these boards and proclaim that you "had to move from Canton because of the drug and crime problem" paints a picture with an extremely broad brush, and makes the entire town/area sound like a drug-infested junkie haven. I'm not saying that there aren't issues with meth in town- I'm sure there are- but let's keep them in perspective so as not to scare off potential residents.

Bob
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia