U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2012, 07:31 AM

6 posts, read 12,599 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My family and I are planning to move to GA next year. We currently live in the Philadelphia. Yes, the city where they proclaim brotherly love, yet the killing is as normal as air. My husband and I have four children. Two under the age of one years of age, a seven year old, and my niece who we have adopted-she is fourteen. I work in the medical field doing research and my husband works here for the hospital but will have completed his degree in Criminal Justice by the time we move. We are looking to move into a gated community with GREAT schools. Our son currently attends the best CHARTER school that Philadelphia can offer and is number two in his entire school and has been since kindergarten. We place high expectations on school and child care and hope to find a neighborhood which can support that as well. We are a young family, not yet 30. However, we are very reserved and family oriented. We would like to live in the suburbs but not too far from the interstate to be able to easily access the city because we will likely work in the city. We are looking to move close to hospitals and doctors office both for the children and for my work sake. Shopping and parks, movie theaters, and grocery stores should all be within ten-fifteen minutes away as well. We would like to be at least two-hours from Atlanta.

Thanks for your help in advance.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 04:45 PM

1,837 posts, read 1,614,168 times
Take a look at Oconee county. It seems to describe what you are looking for perfectly IMHO for a living and school situation. I cannot tell you what the job situation is, but Athens has two decent sized hospitals and is very close by. I have a number of friends who commute to Atlanta (Buckhead), but I would not recommend this. You did not mention how much you were hoping to spend on a home. This information would probably be helpful to those who wish to respond.

Old 06-27-2012, 06:41 PM

9,124 posts, read 33,291,392 times
Gated communities aren't all that common here in GA until you get into the million dollar plus range, and even then they're aren't all that many of them.

If you want the best schools, you're going to most likely end up in the Atlanta metro, which will put you near many hospitals.

Do you have a housing budget in mind? That will help posters point you in the right direction.

Old 06-27-2012, 10:38 PM

11,319 posts, read 22,980,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Gated communities aren't all that common here in GA until you get into the million dollar plus range, and even then they're aren't all that many of them.
I dunno ... there are several in this area of southeastern Cobb, and most of those are hardly million dollar houses. Some are nicer townhome communities like One Ivy Walk and The Cove at Vinings Estates, and some are single family homes. I'd guess maybe 10-15% of the subdivisions around here are gated.

Old 06-28-2012, 07:09 AM

When I say gated communities perhaps that is equivalent to your subdivisions. Here in Philadelphia, we consider them gated communities because your typical house here is a row home on a city street with no place for kids to play, except the street. Our housing budget would be from 1200k-275k. 4-5bedrooms 2.5bath. I am not familiar with Atlanta in anyway shape or form, except what I have read on this forum and what my sister in law tells me, whom lives in McDonough. Though I hear isn't all that great, school wise or diversity wise. I should add that, though we are African American, we are NOT at all interested in living in a predominantly black community in anyway shape or form and that is just our preference. We would like to live in a WELL diverse community.

Old 06-28-2012, 07:19 AM

The OP wants to be at least two hours from Atlanta.

Old 06-28-2012, 07:44 AM

9,124 posts, read 33,291,392 times
Most areas 2+ hours from Atlanta aren't going to be very diverse- they're going to be either very white, or very black, with little of anything else. You're also not going to find many areas with great schools, and hospitals with large research programs aren't going to be in great abundance.

If your impressions of Atlanta as a whole are based on conversations with someone who lives in McDonough, you're probably not getting the whole story, and may be missing out on some opportunities.

Old 06-28-2012, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Most areas 2+ hours from Atlanta aren't going to be very diverse- they're going to be either very white, or very black, with little of anything else. You're also not going to find many areas with great schools, and hospitals with large research programs aren't going to be in great abundance.

If your impressions of Atlanta as a whole are based on conversations with someone who lives in McDonough, you're probably not getting the whole story, and may be missing out on some opportunities.
I welcome your perspective on Atlanta as a whole-schools, housing, crime rate, family oriented neighborhoods verse non family areas, for I am sure that you are correct.

What are your thoughts on Warner Robins, Suwanee, Richmond Hill, Rosewell, Fayetteville, Stockbride, Jones-borough, Lookout Mt.?

Old 06-28-2012, 09:18 AM

I need to stick up for my little corner of Georgia, Oconee If you are talking about diversity only being in Atlanta...I am not from the US, on one side my neighbor is from Spain, on the other side my neighbor is from Korea, next to them is a couple from Greece...you should see all the yummy things to eat at our block parties. There are people from all over the world in my neighborhood (thanks in part to UGA). Oconee schools are highly regarded in Georgia and the US - People move here for the schools. It is far enough from Atlanta, if that's what you want and yet close enough for the things you may need to do there. My hubs splits his time 50/50 between here and overseas and flies out of Atlanta on a regular basis.

I am not saying there are not fantastic places to live in Atlanta because there are wonderful neighborhoods and some highly regarded schools there. It just isn't the only place in GA to get what you are looking for. And I think your budget is going to be an issue to find what you want in Atl. You are going to be at the top of that budget to find what you want in Oconee county and it won't be a gated community, just a niceish subdivision.

But none of this may matter if you don't have jobs lined up. That is a mighty big detail to take care of...I wish you all the best and hope you find what you are looking for!

Old 06-28-2012, 10:16 AM

Cdarocks,

I tried to find Oconee on Realtor and was not successful. Is there a lager neighboring town that I can look up?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or