U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2012, 05:00 PM

1,319 posts, read 1,076,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macalan View Post
People kept telling us "crime is everywhere" but that stuff doesn't happen where we live (Newburyport, MA). Maybe our little city of 17K is unusual - our crime index is something like 93 compred to the national avergae of the mid 300s. Our town is very affluent, so maybe that's the reason, I don't know.
Therein lies the rub -- you're paying a premium for housing in an area with a low crime rate.

Athens really does have most of what you're looking for, except that it IS dominated by the University. And on gameday, its best if you either leave town, or not leave your house [100,000 rabid college football fans will create significant inconvenience unless you embrace the fandom].

If the Carolinas are still on your radar, give Greenville, SC, a look.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 12:31 PM

1,474 posts, read 3,165,329 times
I agree with the previous poster, check out Greenville, SC. Wonderful, safe downtown. Reasonable real estate. Not that far from beach and close to mountains. Several universities but not university town. Known to be retiree friendly, the state that is. I live in Athens. Am retired, and give thought to moving to G'ville myself.

But, if you are fixated on GA, you might want to look at Greensboro and Madison.

Old 07-18-2012, 10:51 AM

23 posts, read 51,065 times
look into Oconee County

Old 12-27-2012, 06:40 PM

2,203 posts, read 2,853,032 times
Not fixated on GA, just looking for a reasonable place to live that has stuff going on as our income will be fixed in retirement and we like a vibrant downtown.

Yes, we would love to be near the water. We are looking at Mount Pleasant, SC also. Very nice, but no real downtown, and we would miss that. Plus Athens has much less expensive real estate.

Athens (and surrounding area) definitely warrants a visit. Can anyone recommend a few subddivisions that might fit our needs - we'd like a newish house (built in the last 5 years) @ 1,600 - 2,000 sq ft, with a smallish yard (say 7K - .25 acre) that would allow a 6' privacy fence for the doggie, 3BR, 2 BA and garage. Not too far from downtown.

Some strange thing I read - that there were not supermarkets handy - what does that mean - that Athens doesn't have any supermarkets? What about a Whole Foods or Trades Joes?

Price point is ideally no more than 250K.

We'll only have a long weekend, so want to make the best use of our time.

Old 12-27-2012, 07:14 PM

1,474 posts, read 3,165,329 times
As I said awhile back, i live in Athens. Retired.

If you want newer, I'd suggest Oconee County with Wakinsville as its main town area. But there are areas in Clark County. I don't personally know of any newer subdivisions in the county so a real estate agent would be your best bet.

Downtown is another matter. It is about students. Clarke county is about UGA. We have plenty of shopping to include Trader Joes, Earthfare, Fresh food market, Publix x 2, Kroger x 2, Ingalls, PW etc.

I would suggest before you relocate here that you find a primary care physician who will take you as a new patient. If you are on Medicare you could have some problems. Athens Regional Medical Center was recently rated as the best cardiology hospital in the state and one of the best in the nation. Friend recently had 2 heart valves replaced there. First class.

There are 2 vet ERs. UGA vet school and one in Oconee County that operates when regular vet clinics have shut down. We have used it several times with excellent results. We have loads of physicians and loads of vets. Clarke county does have a dog park or 2.

If downtown is a selling point, I'd look at Greenville, SC. Hot and humid in the summer. Charleston and Savannah lots worse though.

I don't think you can get a feel for a place on a short visit. You might consider renting something when you do move. Very difficult to sell a place here these days with no let up in sight. Athens is loaded with apartments and students. I cannot recommend a particular neighborhood. The houses in mine are 30 plus years old but we have acre plus lots. Some 4 acres. Rare anymore.

If the ocean is important for you, then go for it and forget inland. I'd recommend Amelia Island, Fl and St. Augustine, FL. Those would be my 2 choices. Now, it is too difficult to move just based on finding a doctor who will take on a new Medicare patient.

I will be happy to answer any questions. You can direct message me if you desire. Good luck.

Old 12-28-2012, 04:28 PM

35 posts, read 51,274 times
If you decide to move into the area, know that the Eastside primarily has student housing. There are good housing options over there, but it's more suited for the college kids that go to Georgia. The Westside is a nicer, more suburban-esque area of Athens. Oconee is about 10-20 mins or so outside of downtown, it has higher taxes, and nicer schools than the Athens-Clarke county district though. As for the other counties around there, I don't know enough to really say anything about them.
As a whole the area has a lot of character, and really great people that truly make Athens unique. Hopefully you can come by and visit to see it in person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia