Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 12:18 PM

7 posts, read 9,418 times

Advertisements

All,

I am going to be moving to the Atlanta area in about 4-6 weeks. I like to be outdoors. Not a huge fan of big cities at all. As I was hoping to find something more rural. My only stipulations are that I have to be within an hour of Atlanta Airport, must be safe and have several golf courses within driving distance. Any and all information that can be provided would be much appreciated. This is very difficult when you dont really even know where to start looking.

Thank you in advance for your time.

Regards,

Marc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2012, 12:23 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,380,037 times
You'll definitely want to be south of Atlanta then, as the airport is on that side of town, and anything "rural" on the north side will be more than an hour from the airport. You can look in the Hampton area- plenty of open space down there, with an hour of the airport, and several golf courses nearby.

Old 07-02-2012, 12:36 PM

What about Carrollton, GA? That is about an hour from the airport, correct?

Old 07-02-2012, 12:39 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,380,037 times
Carrollton is about 45-50 miles from the airport, so it's an hour on a good day- could be much more during rush hour.

Old 07-02-2012, 01:16 PM

Thats a really good point. I'm gonna be flying ALOT so its important to be fairly close to the aiport. What do you think about outlying towns on the West side? I'm finding a lot more apartments there in my price range.

Old 07-02-2012, 05:15 PM

2,118 posts, read 6,375,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchabot View Post
Thats a really good point. I'm gonna be flying ALOT so its important to be fairly close to the aiport.
Atlanta would probably be my last choice in the country if you need to fly frequently. The areas near the airport are not the greatest and the airport itself is not fun.

Quote:
What do you think about outlying towns on the West side?
Meh.

Quote:
I'm finding a lot more apartments there in my price range.
There's a reason for that.

Old 07-02-2012, 06:06 PM

744 posts, read 2,482,344 times
Deffently look into the south west side of the Atlanta metro area . Fayette County has Brooks , Tyrone and Fayetteville ( on the outskirts towards Peachtree City ) and Coweta county areas around Senoia - all offer a country feel to them plus they are close to 5 different golf courses and the Atlanta Airport

Old 07-03-2012, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post
Atlanta would probably be my last choice in the country if you need to fly frequently. The areas near the airport are not the greatest and the airport itself is not fun.

Meh.

There's a reason for that.

My company basically chose Atlanta for me due to the fact that airport is large and would cost them the least in the long run most likely. Where would you recommend in the South East of the US if you had to fly every week?

Old 07-03-2012, 04:09 PM

2,118 posts, read 6,375,927 times
Quote:
My company basically chose Atlanta for me due to the fact that airport is large and would cost them the least in the long run most likely. Where would you recommend in the South East of the US if you had to fly every week?
It depends on where you're going but in general, florida has a lot of flights to just about everywhere because of the tourism. MCO and TPA airports are about as good as airports get in the southeast. Lots of direct flights. FTL, and PBI are runners up.

Charlotte, NC has the IATA airport of the year this year. And as an added bonus, you wouldn't have to live in floree-duhhh.

I don't know if your employer is paying for parking or your travel expenses to and from the airport or if you're one to occasionally hit the snooze button a few too many times but with ATL, you have to leave so far in advance to make sure you get to the airport on time. Then you have to find the parking lot that fits your budget and get the shuttle and then walk 43 miles to your terminal. If your employer is compensating you for those expenses and your time, thats something for them to consider. They may not realize you don't plan to live right near the airport.

Old 07-05-2012, 07:32 AM

That is a really good point, cittic. Maybe I can convince them to send me to NC instead. I've gathered I might be able to find more affordable housing in/around Charlotte as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia