Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2012, 01:17 PM

1 posts, read 7,432 times

Advertisements

Married with 2 elem school kids moving to north Georgia. Price range of home $400-500k. Husband works from home and I'm stay at home mom so we are not restricted to a certain area. Originally thinking of Alpharetta but been hearing that Cumming is the "new" Alpharetta... More house for your money, less sprawl, more desirable, etc. I would like to know what you all think comparing the two cities. I've already talked to a realtor but they don't always tell you the nitty gritty and I'd like to hear the real scoop. What do locals say about Cumming?

Also regarding high schools in Cumming (my kids are elem age but I like to think ahead), what are the general perceptions and reputations regarding them? Are 1 or 2 of them considered better in terms of academics? I've already checked out the schools websites and been to greatschools.net website.... Just want to get some more opinions.

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2012, 04:37 PM

2,118 posts, read 6,343,623 times
Less sprawl????!!!!!

rofl
T
Google sprawl.

I wouldnt recommend either of those places. You may get slightly more house for the money and pay less taxes but that also means you'll have to live in a place called Cumming.

With that price range you can live anywhere in metro atlanta. As a general rule the closer in the more sought after. High end restaurants shopping etc its down in atlanta. Cumming has none of that. Cant comment on the schools.

Once you buy you can never sell. Choose wisely.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:47 AM

2,278 posts, read 3,009,509 times
You will have to give more information than that for good advice. If house size is your primary concern (which isn't a wise way to set your priorities if you have kids) then yes... Cumming, or anywhere in Forsyth or Canton will buy you more real estate.

However, you are giving up proximity to different types of restaurants, the airport and different amenities/activities for your family.

Its a trade off... how rural do you want to go?

I don't know how much time you have spent around the Atlanta Metro area. I have a feeling that despite the 'smaller' amount of home, you might be more content with a $500K home in the Morningside neighborhood than a $500K home in a Cumming subdivision

Old 07-25-2012, 10:15 PM

1 posts, read 7,303 times
Forsyth County is a great place for young families! It is one of the fastest growing counties in the state. If you are looking for a great place to raise your kids, Forsyth is it. The schools are ranked 2nd in the state, the county is very family friendly - tons of parks, a Greenway and plenty of options to shop and dine. Cumming used to be a very rural area, but it has been booming in growth, both commercial and residential, over the past 5 - 10 years.
500K will get you a lot of house in Forsyth and you have a lot of options in that price range. The school system has added so many new schools over the past 3 - 4 years, it is hard to say what will be the best school when your kids get to high school. Right now, South Forsyth and Lambert are the best high schools (from what I have heard).
Hope that helps! We have been here for 7 years, pre-kids, and now after kids, we never want to leave, moving here was the best decision we made (we used to live in Alpharetta).

Old 07-26-2012, 10:22 AM

161 posts, read 403,298 times
You should also consider Suwanee: has every family-friendly amenity you can imagine, great schools, newer homes, and close to Lake Lanier & the Chattahoochee River. I don't live in Suwanee, but strongly considered it! We had personal reasons for staying in Fulton Co., but we don't regret our decision.

Old 07-27-2012, 04:59 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,415,152 times
Traffic is brutal on both areas. The closer you are to your job, the better. Alpharetta and Cumming are very comparable in some ways. I would find the place closest to your job. Yes, you get more house for your money in Forsyth and it is a bit less developed, but it is definitely further way out and can make a huge difference in a rush-hour commute towards Atlanta / I-285 area.

Old 08-05-2012, 09:39 AM

5 posts, read 15,692 times
We are in Cherokee county, right on the border of Forsyth and Fulton. We do wish we had moved closer to 400 so that we'd have better access to everything, but otherwise we love this area for our family of 5. The schools are great, there's plenty to do, and it's a pretty safe area. If we were definitely staying in Ga, though, we'd move to Milton or Roswell, or possibly Cumming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia