Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2012, 09:07 AM

5,616 posts, read 8,653,289 times

Advertisements

So if you know about Savannah you know about Augusta? Huh??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2012, 09:30 AM

2,856 posts, read 4,619,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by River_Dawg View Post
Reckon he was talking about this...but I'm not trying get in between you two.

He had already answered his own question earlier in the forum when he stated that I was talking about the lack of density that Augusta has.

So I decided just to stop it in its tracks because it was pointless.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:39 AM

2,663 posts, read 4,845,262 times
Augusta neck and neck with Savannah?

Chathman County > Richmond/Muscogee > Bibb County. Wouldn't you agree?

Old 08-13-2012, 09:43 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by River_Dawg View Post
A destination to those who know of its...Savannah doesn't a world renown event or happening. The average person cant tell you anything about Savannah. The point is that if you know about Savannah you know Augusta. If you about Augusta that doesn't mean you know Savannah. No one knows about Columbus, Macon is more popular.
This is one of the most delusional things I've ever read here. Savannah is MUCH more known as a destination than Augusta; that's an indisputable fact and the city has been featured on the big screen ("Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil") that lends to greater name recognition. Savannah doesn't need to have a big annual sporting event like The Masters because people visit Savannah for Savannah itself; those 11 million visitors annually come to experience the moss-draped squares, Forsyth Park, River Street, the historic homes, etc. The people who come to Augusta for The Masters can't tell you a thing about the city beyond Washington Road. That could change if city leadership ever got its act together, but as of now, it's no contest. You call those lists where Savannah makes a showing "fluff" but they are at least reflective of general perception even if one disagrees with the exact rankings. The same cities generally appears on those lists with Augusta nowhere to be found on any of them (and that's not a dig, it's just a fact). I'm not arguing which city is "better," but Savannah's bread-and-butter is dependent on name recognition and tourism.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:52 AM

5,616 posts, read 8,653,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
This is one of the most delusional things I've ever read here. Savannah is MUCH more known as a destination than Augusta; that's an indisputable fact and the city has been featured on the big screen ("Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil") that lends to greater name recognition. Savannah doesn't need to have a big annual sporting event like The Masters because people visit Savannah for Savannah itself; those 11 million visitors annually come to experience the moss-draped squares, Forsyth Park, River Street, the historic homes, etc. The people who come to Augusta for The Masters can't tell you a thing about the city beyond Washington Road. That could change if city leadership ever got its act together, but as of now, it's no contest. You call those lists where Savannah makes a showing "fluff" but they are at least reflective of general perception even if one disagrees with the exact rankings. The same cities generally appears on those lists with Augusta nowhere to be found on any of them (and that's not a dig, it's just a fact). I'm not arguing which city is "better," but Savannah's bread-and-butter is dependent on name recognition and tourism.
Excellent post thank you.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:55 AM

Columbus and Augusta are neck to neck. Augusta has the bigger metro because of its counties,and Columbus has the bigger corporate base. Other than that,they both are the same.

Old 08-13-2012, 10:31 AM
PJA

2,462 posts, read 3,176,740 times
As far as this talk about metropolises, technically a metropolis is another term for a metropolitan area so yes Augusta along with Columbus, Macon and Savannah can be considered metropolises.

Cities like Atlanta, L.A. and N.Y. would be considered megalopolises.

Old 08-13-2012, 10:39 AM
PJA

2,462 posts, read 3,176,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbuskidd92 View Post
Columbus and Augusta are neck to neck. Augusta has the bigger metro because of its counties,and Columbus has the bigger corporate base. Other than that,they both are the same.

I'm not one to get caught up in these debates but Augusta and Columbus are different animals. Not saying that one is better than the other becuase they both have their differences but they are just at two different levels. Augusta has nearly twice the population, twice the revenue and GDP and nearly twice the ameninites than the other metros outside of Atlanta. Am I saying it's better no, but it's definitely in a different tier. Something being twice or nearly double the size is definitely a big difference whether people want to admit it or not.

As far as name recognition goes. Outside of Atlanta, Savannah and Augusta are BOTH known across the nation and many people can tell you where both are, and as a matter of fact most will think of Georgia before they think of Maine when you mention Augusta and that's Maine's state capitol. Macon also has notoriety in Georgia. But this is NOT a bash against Columbus, GA but its just not that well known outside of Georgia and Alabama. And that's nothing against it, its just not.

Old 08-13-2012, 10:50 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJA View Post
As far as this talk about metropolises, technically a metropolis is another term for a metropolitan area so yes Augusta along with Columbus, Macon and Savannah can be considered metropolises.
me·trop·o·lis   [mi-trop-uh-lis] Show IPA
noun, plural me·trop·o·lis·es.
1. any large, busy city.
2. the chief, and sometimes capital, city of a country, state, or region.

Metropolis | Define Metropolis at Dictionary.com

Obviously the definition of metropolis goes well beyond that of a Census-designated metropolitan statistical area. With this in mind, Augusta is not a metropolis, but it's clear that the person who used that term meant "metropolitan" anyway.

Quote:
Cities like Atlanta, L.A. and N.Y. would be considered megalopolises.
While a megalopolis can be defined as a very large city, it is more popularly considered to be an urban region consisting of several metropolitan areas, as in the Northeastern megalopolis (Bos-Wash corridor). Atlanta is said to be part of the emerging Piedmont megalopolis which largely corresponds to the I-85 corridor plus some outliers from AL to NC.

Old 08-13-2012, 10:58 AM

What? That's my first time hearing something like that. Augusta population size is 196,000,and is twice the size of Columbus Population 194,000?

Augusta metro GDP
$19,199,000,000

Columbus CSA GDP
$15,515,000,000

Augusta metro 561,000
Columbus CSA 466,000

Augusta is NOT that far ahead from Columbus.

Last edited by Columbuskidd92; 08-13-2012 at 11:08 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia