Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2012, 05:04 PM

998 posts, read 1,549,105 times

Advertisements

Just like Washington uses its devices to bring businesses to America, Atlanta does on the state level... I've said repeatedly now that there were private philanthropist that helped spur the growth of Atlanta and that the growth of Atlanta has been growing by leaps and bounds in sequence (not a coincidence) since its designation as the state capital in 1868, not just since the advent of the interstate system.

Do you see or hear about what happens behind closed doors in the federal/state/local government... for the most part, no. You and I both know that kind've stuff has gone on to convince, influence and direct businesses to the Atlanta area for a long, long time. I'm saying that Atlanta has used its position as state capital more than any other capital around us, don't really see how that's disagreeable stance on my part...

It can also be said that if Atlanta didn't have the governmental influence it has benefitted from... it would be Birmingham. They go hand in hand and the other Georgia cities combined, have not enjoyed the support that Atlanta has historically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2012, 05:19 PM

934 posts, read 1,346,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
The Par 3 Party and Mayors Masters Reception are both held on the common downtown...

Savannah isn't more well knowed outside of the US...
Not even in the States! If you heard of Tiger Woods or a Green Jacket you heard of Augusta and know where it is, plain and simple. Savannah i tourist destination so there will be magazine with articles that will be written saying how great Savannah is how everyone should visit at least once. What you expect? It's the largest Georgia town with ocean front, that alone makes it a destination. Anybody who lives in the southern region of the US, who likes to travel have heard of Savannah....Out west? Forget about it.......Across the pond you can forget about too......even far east in China, 2 billion strong, can recognize the name Augusta 100 times more than the other 2nd tier city.

Old 08-13-2012, 05:19 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tckr83 View Post
Just like Washington uses its devices to bring businesses to America, Atlanta does on the state level... I've said repeatedly now that there were private philanthropist that helped spur the growth of Atlanta and that the growth of Atlanta has been growing by leaps and bounds in sequence (not a coincidence) since its designation as the state capital in 1868, not just since the advent of the interstate system.

Do you see or hear about what happens behind closed doors in the federal/state/local government... for the most part, no. You and I both know that kind've stuff has gone on to convince, influence and direct businesses to the Atlanta area for a long, long time. I'm saying that Atlanta has used its position as state capital more than any other capital around us, don't really see how that's disagreeable stance on my part...

It can also be said that if Atlanta didn't have the governmental influence it has benefitted from... it would be Birmingham. They go hand in hand and the other Georgia cities combined, have not enjoyed the support that Atlanta has historically.
OK, cite some specific examples of what the state has done beyond obligatory investments in roads in response to sustained growth spurred by business investments that has been a game changer for Atlanta. The state wasn't responsible for the "New South" campaign, it wasn't responsible for the airport, it wasn't responsible for cultivating Atlanta's profile as a tolerant city during the Civil Rights Movement, it wasn't responsible for the Olympics, etc. The most you can say is that the state played its role in Atlanta's founding but beyond that, the state didn't do anything game-changing (in contrast to NC and the establishment of RTP in the Triangle area). Hell, it's actually fought Atlanta in some key areas (MARTA).

Old 08-13-2012, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by River_Dawg View Post
even far east in China, 2 billion strong, can recognize the name Augusta 100 times more than the other 2nd tier city.
I need a source for this one, LOL.

Old 08-13-2012, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
Aiken just so happens to have more people commuting to Augusta unlike at Auburn/Opelika which is its own metro. The distances of Aiken to Augusta and Auburn/Opelika to Columbus are about the same.
The economic connectedness is what makes the difference, not distance.

Old 08-13-2012, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
Aiken just so happens to have more people commuting to Augusta unlike at Auburn/Opelika which is its own metro. The distances of Aiken to Augusta and Auburn/Opelika to Columbus are about the same.
Its just so happened that the people Auburn/Opelika see no value or purpose or reason or benefit of commuting or traveling or visiting or even thinking about Columbus. Augusta supplies Aiken, Columbia, Burke and Richmond with most of the amenities. That's what separate Augusta from Columbus GA.

Old 08-13-2012, 05:33 PM

2,663 posts, read 4,842,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by River_Dawg View Post
Its just so happened that the people Auburn/Opelika see no value or purpose or reason or benefit of commuting or traveling or visiting or even thinking about Columbus. Augusta supplies Aiken, Columbia, Burke and Richmond with most of the amenities. That's what separate Augusta from Columbus GA.
Are you kidding me? Columbus supplies more counties than Augusta. However,those counties have more population.

Quote:
Its just so happened that the people Auburn/Opelika see no value or purpose or reason or benefit of commuting or traveling or visiting or even thinking about Columbus.
The most delusional thing I ever heard. You know nothing about the Columbus area.

Old 08-13-2012, 05:34 PM

998 posts, read 1,549,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
OK, cite some specific examples of what the state has done beyond obligatory investments in roads in response to sustained growth spurred by business investments that has been a game changer for Atlanta. The state wasn't responsible for the "New South" campaign, it wasn't responsible for the airport, it wasn't responsible for cultivating Atlanta's profile as a tolerant city during the Civil Rights Movement, it wasn't responsible for the Olympics, etc. The most you can say is that the state played its role in Atlanta's founding but beyond that, the state didn't do anything game-changing (in contrast to NC and the establishment of RTP in the Triangle area). Hell, it's actually fought Atlanta in some key areas (MARTA).

Read the first paragraph in the post you quoted me... It happens. To say it doesn't is laughable.

Old 08-13-2012, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I need a source for this one, LOL.
Sources? No one has provide source regarding this topic and we are just using common sense and intelligence. A fluff article about Savannah doesn't tell me anything about what we are talking about. Every golfer in the World would love to win Augusta and a green jacket. So I made the assumption that all golfers around the World heard of Augusta? Shouldn't every soccer player knows what the World Cup is? Every football player knows about the Super Bowl right?

Does every beach goer or traveler or artist know about Savannah? The answer is no.

Does anybody outside Alabama or GA know about Columbus Georgia? Nope.

Old 08-13-2012, 05:52 PM

2,663 posts, read 4,842,054 times
What is Augusta tourism numbers? I bet the numbers are lower than Columbus and Savannah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia