U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2012, 01:00 PM

4,491 posts, read 6,365,647 times

Advertisements

Need 2012 numbers not something that's 3 years old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 01:20 PM

932 posts, read 1,120,773 times
Atlanta Metro
Classic South
Colonial Coast
Historic Heartland
Historic High Country
Magnolia Midlands
Northeast Georgia Mountains
Plantation Trace
Presidential Pathways

We could trade region names

These are recession numbers I wonder of the numbers have picked for Augusta. Columbus has that cool safari...

Old 08-14-2012, 02:54 PM

932 posts, read 1,120,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I don't even know where to start.

I've seen absolutely no evidence of that, unless you want to talk about how some folks choose to stay in Columbia during Masters week instead of Augusta for cheaper hotel rates;
...or the hotels are booked to capacity and there are no more rooms. But that would be very clever of Columbia, Im sure if Columbia had a event like the Masters annually Augusta would do the same. Only a hour away.

South Carolina State Competitiveness
http://www.isc.hbs.edu/pdf/State_Com...olina_v312.pdf

Old 08-15-2012, 07:44 PM

4,666 posts, read 6,649,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
Augusta would actually have more 50k in the year 2012 similar to Greenville, SC(26 sq mi)..

The people living in Columbus bring up the 'second largest city' title daily... 85% to 90% of the people from Augusta hardly ever mentioned that... The 'second largest metro' does get brought up often...
Greenville actually has more than 60k in the 26 square miles. If city and county consolidated it would be 450k+. Will never happen though, but it's not hurting it. Still landing some nice stuff. Just landed Dave and Busters I believe, and they are building stuff pretty rapidly. The other poster has a point about consolidated and non consolidated when comparing largest cities in Georgia though.

Old 08-18-2012, 01:36 PM

679 posts, read 995,037 times
To get side track for a sec
Can someone tell me if the hotel planned in Macon has any progress
I haven't heard about that river hotel in a while
Pictures would be helpful that is if construction has started

Old 08-18-2012, 10:10 PM

13,683 posts, read 17,781,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by River_Dawg View Post
Savannah isn't all that well known outside the south to be honest, sorry to burst your bubble. It's know for being a Charleston Lite along I-95.
SIGH ... I've been away from this thread for several days, thankfully. But the point needs to be made: Savannah is NOT "Charleston light" (whatever that means). Savannah welcomes more than TWICE the annual number of tourists as Charleston (fact) and in every recent poll of "most popular tourist cities in America" beats Charleston hands down (again, fact). Of course, that's because Savannah is EXTREMELY popular right now -- tourism here is growing by double digits annually, and they come from all over the nation AND the world. Indeed, international visitors is the fastest growing segment of Savannah's tourism market, which welcomed a record 12 million people last year (that's about 1/3 the total visitors to Atlanta, a metro with more than 10 times the population).

Augusta is known outside of Georgia for the Masters, and that's about it. It's known within the state for medicine and healthcare. Savannah is know nationally and internationally for a host of things, including history, beautiful environment, it's brilliant urban plan, high art and culture, unmatched hospitality, big-city nightlife, tons of world-class restaurants, a carefree attitude toward life, as the setting and filming locale for many popular films, etc.

River Dawg, have you ever BEEN to Savannah? I seriously doubt so, or at least any time recently, with some of the smack talk you've been repeating. Augusta and Savannah are two completely different places. Apples and oranges.

That said, Savannah and Augusta combined would be a formidable force for sure!

Old 08-18-2012, 10:22 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,310 posts, read 12,646,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
SIGH ... I've been away from this thread for several days, thankfully. But the point needs to be made: Savannah is NOT "Charleston light" (whatever that means). Savannah welcomes more than TWICE the annual number of tourists as Charleston (fact) and in every recent poll of "most popular tourist cities in America" beats Charleston hands down (again, fact). Of course, that's because Savannah is EXTREMELY popular right now -- tourism here is growing by double digits annually, and they come from all over the nation AND the world. Indeed, international visitors is the fastest growing segment of Savannah's tourism market, which welcomed a record 12 million people last year (that's about 1/3 the total visitors to Atlanta, a metro with more than 10 times the population).

Augusta is known outside of Georgia for the Masters, and that's about it. It's known within the state for medicine and healthcare. Savannah is know nationally and internationally for a host of things, including history, beautiful environment, it's brilliant urban plan, high art and culture, unmatched hospitality, big-city nightlife, tons of world-class restaurants, a carefree attitude toward life, as the setting and filming locale for many popular films, etc.

River Dawg, have you ever BEEN to Savannah? I seriously doubt so, or at least any time recently, with some of the smack talk you've been repeating. Augusta and Savannah are two completely different places. Apples and oranges.

That said, Savannah and Augusta combined would be a formidable force for sure!
I don't want to get into another long debate, but had to point this out... James Brown and Fort Gordon are two of the reasons people know about Augusta from outside of the state..

A portion of the local tourism here in Augusta is 'medical related'(GHSU more than $90 million per year), and people come from all over the southeast.... The acronym 'MCG' is definitely know outside of Georgia, and we have the largest burn center in the US(third largest in the world) at Doctors Hospital..

Old 08-18-2012, 10:36 PM

^^^ I'm not disputing that Norton. But having the "third largest burn center in the world" does not put a city on the national or international conscience.

And families spending weeks and weeks at a time in Augusta hotels while loved ones are fighting for their lIves at MCG isn't exactly "tourism." Just sayin'.

Old 08-18-2012, 10:47 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,310 posts, read 12,646,880 times
All I'm saying Augusta is know for healthcare and medicine outside of the state of Georgia..

I think fighting for their lives is an bit of exaggeration, because families come here to deliver babies all the time.. MCG and the state of Georgia still puts those type of visitors under tourism related spending either way..

Old 08-18-2012, 11:11 PM

Actually, "fighting for their lives" is a pretty apt description of what goes on in Augusta. For weeks on end this summer, much of the nation and the world was watching the progress of that poor girl suffering from the flesh-eating disease. But outside of Georgia, I doubt many people knew she was in a hospital in Augusta. Might as well have been Atlanta, for all they knew.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or