U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2012, 02:06 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,310 posts, read 12,640,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I meant leadership prior to Deke, which, as I understand it, was corrupt. I don't know how that compared to the other cities in GA outside Atlanta though.

As Newsboy has stated, local progressive leadership, especially sustained over a period of time, makes all the difference. Other comparisons would be Mayor Riley in Charleston who almost single-handedly initiated that city's downtown revitalization and Mayors Heller and White in Greenville.
It was no more corrupt than any other city in the state...

Artist Row along Broad street, Riverwalk, Augusta Common, etc were created long before Deke became the mayor in 2005...

Quote:
Obviously Campbell is an exception, but you're actually summing up my position quite well. Other cities in GA didn't have the progressive local civic and business leadership that would have caused them to enjoy some of the growth Atlanta has experienced over the decades. They didn't have a Grady, Allen (Sr. And Jr.), Hartsfield, Woodruff, Jackson, Young, Payne, etc. And that's been the biggest difference.
Were Mitch Skandalakis, Josh Kenyon, Reginald Eaves, etc exceptions too??

Last edited by nortonguy; 08-24-2012 at 02:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2012, 02:16 PM
PJA

2,410 posts, read 2,576,819 times
I would also like to state that its going to take the WHOLE state, not just local city or county governments to improve the interstate access here. Augusta and Columbus are the only two of the 5 top metros to support T-Splost, and while that wasnt going directly to fund interstates, it will definitely help improve the transportation structure in those areas and make it a lot easier for the interstates to come to those areas when they finally are built (if ever).

I have seen many companies want to come to the Augusta area but opted to locate somewhere else and the only reason was those areas had better interstate access, so I'm pretty sure it has happened in the other metros at some point as well.

Old 08-24-2012, 04:24 PM

932 posts, read 1,120,071 times
Atlanta wants to be an international city and so does the state officials. Having the World's busiest airport is powerful tool to have when competing with Charlotte, Dallas, Houston, Miami, LA etc. Georgia will spare not a red cent to keep it that way even if it means never constructing I-3, I-14 and extending 185. Thats counter productive to the cause. The port project helps Atlanta the most at the end of the day, that why you have Mayor Reed being such a champion of it.

Old 08-24-2012, 05:29 PM

31,750 posts, read 29,484,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tckr83 View Post
That's your opinion... I have stated that Atlanta has had its share of influential citizens that has gone a long way to spur Atlanta, but, Atlanta has had help and quite frankly I'm done if you can't admit that... there's simply no point in continuing. Augusta had its share of influential people/families as well, but the state support has been in another city and local money only went so far back when the cities were actually competing. Today it's not a competition.

Leadership can only take you so far w/o money... MCG in Augusta is a good example of that. Now that MCG has possibly the worst leadership it's ever had, it's getting money and will exceed what it did under previous presidents... because of money... it sure won't be because of the clown they installed as president.
Ok, so name these historic influential civic and business leaders in Augusta and their accomplishments or notable attempts to accomplish something, and let's compare to Atlanta. My point has been all along not that the state hasn't "helped" Atlanta, but that it's not the primary driver of growth. All it made were obligatory infrastructure investments; all the big ideas that separated Atlanta from the pack came from local leaders.

Old 08-24-2012, 05:57 PM

Edit

Last edited by Mutiny77; 08-24-2012 at 05:58 PM.. Reason: duplicate post

Old 08-24-2012, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
It was no more corrupt than any other city in the state...

Artist Row along Broad street, Riverwalk, Augusta Common, etc were created long before Deke became the mayor in 2005...
And those are great developments, they really are. Augusta needs to build on that and it's also going to take sending leaders to Atlanta that can really bring home the bacon.

Quote:
Were Mitch Skandalakis, Josh Kenyon, Reginald Eaves, etc exceptions too??
Not sure who those are, but I'm primarily taking about mayors in Atlanta's history that played crucial roles in key moments of the city's history and put it on a path of becoming what it is today. A couple of modern-day bad apples doesn't change that.

Old 08-24-2012, 06:16 PM

980 posts, read 1,272,970 times
Quote:
Ok, so name these historic influential civic and business leaders in Augusta and their accomplishments or notable attempts to accomplish something, and let's compare to Atlanta. My point has been all along not that the state hasn't "helped" Atlanta, but that it's not the primary driver of growth. All it made were obligatory infrastructure investments; all the big ideas that separated Atlanta from the pack came from local leaders.

This is my last post on the subject.

I'm not trying to argue that Augusta had more or less than Atlanta in terms of influential families... But how do you think MCG was started? Morehouse College (from Augusta btw)? Anyway, just off the top of my head the Knox family, the Morris family, the Pollard family, the Boardman family, the Blanchard family.

You simply won't acknowledge that the power centralized to Atlanta has had anything to do with attracting business other than roads and such... I'm telling you, you're dreaming. Many businesses have been influenced to go to Atlanta over the years as opposed to other Georgia cities. I referenced a link with a mayor getting kickbacks essentially for doing just that... it happened. To act like it doesn't happen and many times w/o ever seeing the light of public eye, is naive on your part.

Stage is yours.

Old 08-24-2012, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by River_Dawg View Post
...and Atlanta will remain to be the city-state of Georgia. Everyone know it. Is there harm in moving the capital in your point of view?
How about the fact that it's cost-prohibitve, especially in this current economic climate.

Quote:
Really?!!!! lol Being the capital of Georgia didn't hurt Atlanta recruiting those companies, just saying
That has very little to do with it. Being the capital means you're just the seat of state government. The airport played a much, much larger role in Atlanta landing those companies (and all of them weren't landed; some are home-grown).

Quote:
Georgia is already like ILL lol One huge metropolis and the rest of the state. All eggs in the Atlanta basket.
I meant that GA would be like I'LL in that the largest city wouldn't be the state capital. But Chicago already has a bunch of state offices located there and a least one recent governor worked more out of his office there than in Springfield.

Quote:
So every city outside ATL in GA needs better city leadership? No we need better representation in the Gold Dome. All roads lead to Atlanta in GA literally. But the 2nd tier cities will just have to be savvier and more creative than Atlanta because that what will take. Atlanta politics are no better than Augusta's, Columbus or Savannah......TSPLOST was rejected in Atlanta by the citizens, now it back to the drawing board for the great city leaders of Atlanta.

Macon Ga could be the state capital. Great location, historically rich, close to the big city Atlanta, revitalize the city. I know this will never happen but I'm just trying to make a case.
Yes, y'all definitely need better representation under the dome, and that comes locally. And I never said anything about Atlanta's politics being better, only that historically, local leadership has been much more progressive and visionary.

Old 08-24-2012, 06:25 PM

13,680 posts, read 17,765,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by River_Dawg View Post
Atlanta wants to be an international city and so does the state officials. Having the World's busiest airport is powerful tool to have when competing with Charlotte, Dallas, Houston, Miami, LA etc. Georgia will spare not a red cent to keep it that way even if it means never constructing I-3, I-14 and extending 185. Thats counter productive to the cause. The port project helps Atlanta the most at the end of the day, that why you have Mayor Reed being such a champion of it.
This is getting ridiculous. I knew that Augusta had an inferiority complex, but not to this extreme.

First off, the ATL airport is the No. 1 engine driving the economy of the entire state and much of the Southeast. The Port of Savannah is No. 2. What's good for Atlanta (or Savannah) is good for all of Georgia. There is no reason why Augusta (or Macon or Columbus or wherever) can't or shouldn't capitalize on its proximity to both Atlanta and Savannah. Indeed, it already benefits in enormous ways you're not even giving credit for. When leaders in surrounding states (particularly Alabama) promote themselves to new industry, they use their proximity to Atlanta as an ADVANTAGE, not a negative. Augusta needs to get with it and quit whining.

As for interstate highways, those are planned and funded by the FEDERAL government, not at the state level. They go where they are needed. And besides, it's not like Augusta is lacking in that department.

Last edited by Newsboy; 08-24-2012 at 06:34 PM..

Old 08-24-2012, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tckr83 View Post
This is my last post on the subject.

I'm not trying to argue that Augusta had more or less than Atlanta in terms of influential families... But how do you think MCG was started? Morehouse College (from Augusta btw)? Anyway, just off the top of my head the Knox family, the Morris family, the Pollard family, the Boardman family, the Blanchard family.
Ok, but what did they actually DO? Any city Augusta's size had the old money rich families that various stuff around town is named for. But did it have any business people that advocated for a New South economy in the aftermath of the Civil War?who advocated for an airfield/airport to drive economic development? Who made sure the city put its best face forward during the CRM? What businessman spearheaded a bid for the Olympics? I already posted all this info for Atlanta to plainly lay out my case with verifiable sources; all you have are lablels you keep slinging out and not one single source.

Quote:
You simply won't acknowledge that the power centralized to Atlanta has had anything to do with attracting business other than roads and such... I'm telling you, you're dreaming. Many businesses have been influenced to go to Atlanta over the years as opposed to other Georgia cities. I referenced a link with a mayor getting kickbacks essentially for doing just that... it happened. To act like it doesn't happen and many times w/o ever seeing the light of public eye, is naive on your part.

Stage is yours.
Ok, give some examples with some sources. "You've just gotta believe it happens" ain't enough.

And for the most part these days, companies with Atlanta on their radar aren't also considering Augusta, Macon, Columbus, etc. They're looking at Charlotte, Tampa, Nashville, Orlando, Houston, Dallas, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or