U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2012, 10:39 PM

1,313 posts, read 1,539,282 times

Advertisements

Is all this negativity necessary, I mean come on nobody really cares who is the best. So what if Savannah is more know than Augusta or Columbus is bigger, the point of the matter is data does not lie. When the 2020 census rolls around we all will see who is truly growing the fastest. I am from Augusta and I know what the city is capable and where it's going. Nort you shouldn't have to prove this to anybody, let the data speak for it's self. 2020 is only less than 8 years away. Besides as I have said in the past, while we bash one another states like North Carolina with multiple high population areas are creeping closer to passing us. If Atlanta halts economically for any reason, Georgia will be in trouble. Instead of just Augusta, or just Savannah, or just Columbus stepping up, I say everyone step up. The years after this decade will truly show the states true colors under press.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2012, 10:46 PM

4,570 posts, read 6,694,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
I said the 'most' in terms of actual numbers, and those numbers have been provided on the Georgia forum before.... Metro Augusta is much larger than metro Savannah... More retail, businesses, entertainment, etc...
You seem to have a skewed perception of cosmopolitan. A cosmopolitan city embraces its multicultural aspects and demographics. Savannah is indeed more cosmopolitan than Augusta.

Old 08-24-2012, 10:47 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,310 posts, read 12,646,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpatt.marine1 View Post
Is all this negativity necessary, I mean come on nobody really cares who is the best. So what if Savannah is more know than Augusta or Columbus is bigger, the point of the matter is data does not lie. When the 2020 census rolls around we all will see who is truly growing the fastest. I am from Augusta and I know what the city is capable and where it's going. Nort you shouldn't have to prove this to anybody, let the data speak for it's self. 2020 is only less than 8 years away. Besides as I have said in the past, while we bash one another states like North Carolina with multiple high population areas are creeping closer to passing us. If Atlanta halts economically for any reason, Georgia will be in trouble. Instead of just Augusta, or just Savannah, or just Columbus stepping up, I say everyone step up. The years after this decade will truly show the states true colors under press.
If people are having a conversation about the state of Georgia, and how they should invest funds into other cities around the state.. Then somebody from another city responds with Augusta has an inferiority complex, and nobody said anything related to Savannah before.. I will continue to respond when I feel the need too..

Quote:
Originally Posted by nature's message View Post
You seem to have a skewed perception of cosmopolitan. A cosmopolitan city embraces its multicultural aspects and demographics. Savannah is indeed more cosmopolitan than Augusta.
Who said anything about cosmopolitan or embracing multi-cultural aspects & demographics?

I said metro Augusta has more retail, businesses, etc compared to metro Savannah...

Why would a metro with one county over 100k have more businesses versus the metro with three counties over 100k?

Old 08-24-2012, 10:53 PM

1,313 posts, read 1,539,282 times
Quote:
If people are having a conversation about the state, and how they should invest in other cities around the state.. Then somebody from another city responds with Augusta has an inferiority complex, and nobody said anything related to Savannah before.. I will continue to respond when I feel the need too..
I respect defending your city and what you know, I'm just surprised people still think the Augusta MSA today is the same as it was in the 90's. Personally I would rather see all the 3 cities grow and take the torch, not just one but I am going to sit back and let them do their thing and when the data comes out in 2020, watch how many people respond with the same lines.

Old 08-24-2012, 10:58 PM

4,570 posts, read 6,694,049 times
Quote:
Who said anything about cosmopolitan or embracing multi-cultural aspects & demographics?

I said metro Augusta has more retail, businesses, etc compared to metro Savannah...

Why would a metro with one county over 100k have more businesses versus the metro with three counties over 100k?
Um...

Quote:
To be fair, one can argue that Savannah is the most cosmopolitan city in the state outside of Atlanta.
Quote:
What does that mean? To be fair, there's no argument metro Augusta has the most shopping, jobs, entertainment, etc outside of Atlanta..

Old 08-24-2012, 11:40 PM

13,683 posts, read 17,781,559 times
Quote:
According to who? Savannah is no slouch when it comes to shopping. Augusta certainly has evolved over the past couple of years in terms of shopping, but to say that Savannah doesn't come close is a bit much. Augusta may have a Williams-Sonoma and an Apple store, but Savannah has a Marc Jacobs store. And to say that Augusta has more entertainment options than Savannah is laughable. Savannah's diverse entertainment options are one of the reasons why it is popular for tourists.

I won't comment on the economy, as I am unfamiliar with both cities.
AGREED ... FYI, Savannah has a Williams-Sonoma store. The one on HHI closed and moved over here ... LOL! We also have two malls (to Augusta's one, plus one abandoned eyesore). Oglethorpe Mall is the only 100 percent fully leased mall in the SE, with a waiting list of tenants wanting to get in. It's got several retailers unique to Georgia outside Metro Atlanta. A new upscale shopping village on Victory Drive to be anchored by Whole Foods is under construction. And in addition to Marc Jacob's, we have a host of both local and national retail chains IN OUR DOWNTOWN -- Gap, Banana Republic, Urban Outfitters, Blick, Starbucks.

ENTERTAINMENT? Savannah has the best nightlife anywhere in Georgia outside Atlanta, and some argue it's better, with everything from thriving live music venues, to hipster dive bars to upscale "stand and model" bars to country western dance clubs to multi-level gay showbars. And all of these are IN OUR DOWNTOWN! We also have LIVE professional theater, including the Historic Savannah Theater which stages live Broadway-style musical reviews with LIVE ORCHESTRA five nights a week, a murder mystery dinner theater, costumed and scripted "ghost" tours 7 nights a week, and a Disney-style, family-themed "Pirate Adventure" that conducts daily cruises up and down the Savannah River with costumed "pirates" leading kids in faux battles with scoundrels on invading boats from Hutchinson Island!

Pirate Cruises: Family and Adult Pirates Cruises for both day and evening tours in Savannah.

The Historic Savannah Theatre

http://clubone-online.com/

http://www.bohemianhotelsavannah.com/

http://www.subzerobar.com/enter/

RESTAURANTS? I won't bother embarrassing Augusta.

MOVIES? Chatham County has SEVEN multiplex movie theaters with 68 screens, including IMAX. The Savannah Film Festival, the fastest-growing film festival in the nation, will bring huge stars and big-name industry leaders back to Savannah the last week in October. It is hosted of course by the Savannah College of Art and Design, the largest art school in the nation and an institution whose indelible contributions to the cultural fabric of this city need no discussion.

http://filmfest.scad.edu/

I could go on ... and on ... and on ... but what's the point? I mean, really. On these points, there's simply no way a reasonable person could possibly say that Augusta has "more" than Savannah. I'm not being mean, I'm just stating facts. That I even have to do this is totally ridiculous.

Last edited by Newsboy; 08-25-2012 at 01:04 AM..

Old 08-24-2012, 11:53 PM

Quote:
The poster from Savannah made it seem the city should be in their own tier/group because it's the most cosmopolitan ...
Savannah IS in another tier group! It IS the most "cosmopolitan" city in Georgia outside Atlanta! It IS a mecca for celebrities and film and television production (a reality TV series was filming downtown tonight). It IS one of the most popular and visited tourist cities IN THE ENTIRE NATION!

Savannah IS on another tier than Augusta! Population and GDP have absolutely nothing to do with it. Why can't you just accept this FACT?!

Old 08-25-2012, 12:30 AM

2,208 posts, read 3,459,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Savannah IS in another tier group! It IS the most "cosmopolitan" city in Georgia outside Atlanta! It IS a mecca for celebrities and film and television production (a reality TV series was filming downtown tonight). It IS one of the most popular and visited tourist cities IN THE ENTIRE NATION!

Savannah IS on another tier than Augusta! Population and GDP have absolutely nothing to do with it. Why can't you just accept this FACT?!

That's true and the same goes for Atlanta and Houston for example...it's more nationally known than Houston although the population and GDP of Houston is much higher....

I think if a poll was done on which city was more popular...Savannah would runaway with the results.

Old 08-25-2012, 12:43 AM

2,208 posts, read 3,459,572 times
Quote:

Old 08-25-2012, 12:51 AM

Quote:
His comment about 'very few Augusta National Members live in Augusta' is the truth and reality?? If you were from Augusta then you would obviously know how foolish this comments sounds..
Among the approximately 300 members of Augusta National, only 46 live in all of Georgia. Obviously, fewer than that live in Augusta. YOU live in Augusta and YOU obviously don't know this?

Here's the list from 2010, from an Augusta source no less!

Augusta Golf l Augusta National (Masters) Members List l Augusta, Georgia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or