U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2012, 10:58 AM
PJA

2,410 posts, read 2,579,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by River_Dawg View Post
I would have thought Savannah's GDP would be closer to Augusta's because of the port, tourism and being on the I-95 corridor. Macon was just consolidated a week ago, would that drastically change it's GDP?

Macon's wouldn't change because those numbers include the entire metro already so the consolidated area is already included.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 11:00 AM

2,663 posts, read 4,115,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpatt.marine1 View Post
As I have stated its all about the supporting counties. Macon and Columbus could be thousands more than Augusta in population but Augusta will have the larger GDP because of its surrounding counites.
That might be true NOW,but keep in mind that the Columbus MSA is growing closer to the Auburn-Opelika MSA.They will become one in a few years,that will give Augusta REAL competition.

Old 08-10-2012, 11:04 AM

1,313 posts, read 1,539,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbuskidd92 View Post
That might be true NOW,but keep in mind that the Columbus MSA is growing closer to the Auburn-Opelika MSA.They will become one in a few years,that will give Augusta REAL competition.
Competition is always good. Imagine if Columbia and Augusta combined, that area would be 1.2 million people strong.

Old 08-10-2012, 11:27 AM

2,663 posts, read 4,115,985 times
Columbus CSA (Columbus MSA + Auburn/Opelika MSA + Tuskegee Micro):

Augusta MSA

This is from 2000.

Old 08-10-2012, 12:40 PM

932 posts, read 1,121,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpatt.marine1 View Post
Competition is always good. Imagine if Columbia and Augusta combined, that area would be 1.2 million people strong.
Augusta and Columbia are rivals at war more than anything. We have developmental proxy war going on between Aiken County and Lexington County.

Amazon may tap into CSRA for those jobs | The Augusta Chronicle

Old 08-10-2012, 06:28 PM

937 posts, read 1,527,065 times
Sandy Springs is apart of Metro Atlanta, Augusta has its own Metropolis area. So, when one says 2nd best in Georgia metro areas are make a little more sense.

Old 08-10-2012, 09:42 PM

31,843 posts, read 29,543,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by River_Dawg View Post
Augusta and Columbia are rivals at war more than anything. We have developmental proxy war going on between Aiken County and Lexington County.

Amazon may tap into CSRA for those jobs | The Augusta Chronicle
This is a HUGE exaggeration. There's very little competition that occurs between Columbia and Augusta and frankly, Augusta really isn't on Columbia's radar. Columbia considers its competition to be the in-state peers of Charleston and Greenville.

It's normal for a company to look outside of the immediate metro area to fill jobs, particularly if a lot are created, but that's not an example of "war." As the article stated:

"I don't see a large group from the area commuting, but I'm sure we will have some," Williams said. "Amazon is going to pay a pretty decent wage. But Aiken County still has manufacturing jobs available paying comparable or better that people would be willing to stay home."

Had both metros been competing for the Amazon development, then THAT would have been war. You've got to come up with some better examples to demonstrate the point you're trying to prove and there really aren't many at all out there.

Old 08-11-2012, 05:15 AM

2,210 posts, read 3,460,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
This is a HUGE exaggeration. There's very little competition that occurs between Columbia and Augusta and frankly, Augusta really isn't on Columbia's radar. Columbia considers its competition to be the in-state peers of Charleston and Greenville.

It's normal for a company to look outside of the immediate metro area to fill jobs, particularly if a lot are created, but that's not an example of "war." As the article stated:

"I don't see a large group from the area commuting, but I'm sure we will have some," Williams said. "Amazon is going to pay a pretty decent wage. But Aiken County still has manufacturing jobs available paying comparable or better that people would be willing to stay home."

Had both metros been competing for the Amazon development, then THAT would have been war. You've got to come up with some better examples to demonstrate the point you're trying to prove and there really aren't many at all out there.
Tell me about it!

Old 08-11-2012, 05:27 AM

2,210 posts, read 3,460,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All4Augusta View Post
Sandy Springs is apart of Metro Atlanta, Augusta has its own Metropolis area. So, when one says 2nd best in Georgia metro areas are make a little more sense.
Let me help you.....

Metropolis....Augusta will never qualify as a metropolis

A metropolis is:

The capital or chief city of a country or region. ex: Tokyo, New York, London, Seoul.

A very large and densely populated city. Augusta isn't large and it's the least dense 2nd tier in GA so its disqualified.

Maybe you meant metropolitan area or MSA.

Old 08-11-2012, 09:59 AM

932 posts, read 1,121,007 times
Quote:
Augusta is the only GA second city that can compete with the SC big three. Their airport is declining, Augusta's is growing. Im sure AUG are on their radar.

Quote:

"Amazon isn't going to find all 2,000 employees in Lexington County.
Aiken and Edgefield are in a strategic position of being next door - just a 30- or 40-minute drive away - to one of the biggest economic boons to South Carolina since Boeing decided to go to Charleston."

You have North Aiken County residents working in the Columbia metro and South Aiken County residents working in the Augusta metro. War may be too strong a word but we are competing and benefiting from each at the same time.

Quote:
Obviously you don't know the point I'm trying to make but that's OK I will explain. Richmond County and Columbia County(Augusta Metro) have been at "war" for some decades now. But not from going after the same job creating projects to get built in their respective counties but for residents and tax dollars. Columbia County attracts families with a good homes, school system, recreation etc (property tax) so Augusta strategic plan was to bring in as much commercial shopping(Augusta Exchange, VAR, AUG Mall etc.) developments it can fit in the west-side. Columbia Co.(130,00) and Aiken Co.(160,000) would have to shop in Augusta and Richmond county receives the tax dollars. A lot of people that live Columbia County, Aiken County also work in Augusta-Richmond. I see bordering counties like Edgefield, Aiken(CSRA)and Lexington (Midland) having to same battle that goes on within Augusta's metro. Augusta and Columbia could start to merge in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or